Old 08-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #1  
aka CAT

S/C/G: 212.4/204.6/170

Height: 5'-10"

Default So there I was yesterday........

......at the office working, minding my own business, happy as can be (hit 51% of my total weight loss yesterday AM), when I had an “episode”. At first I thought I was having one heck of a hot flash but about 20 seconds later, my heart was doing somersaults in my chest. Very long story that I won’t recite…..just know that yes, I thought I was truly going to die at that moment and being frightened is an understatement.

I’ve been to the doctor and will be having tests tomorrow but here’s the kicker. Doctor wants me to slow my weight loss down. There are numerous factors in my life that could have caused yesterday’s “episode”, one of them being that I’ve lost (what she sees in her charts) 11 pounds in a month. Rapid weight loss can make the body do weird things…this might be happening to me!!!!! She wants me to up my calories and increase my protein. Our hearts are nothing more than one big working muscle!

Just talked to my coach and she is recommending that I go straight to Phase III. I am so mentally not there yet…not ready to go back to carbs until I get the bulk of my remaining weight gone. Needless to say…..I am not happy about this. My coach and I agreed to add 1 if not 2 more protein servings and increase my veggies for the time being while I wait for my test results…….and allow the selfish me to understand it’s not just about my losing weight any more.

You talk about having to staying strong? I am mentally/emotionally all over the place. I know tomorrow I will see things clearer than I do today, and the day after that will be even better. I was winning this battle with my body and I’ll be damned if it hasn’t figured out just how to get back at me!
gettinmygrooveback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

That's scary. Keep us posted on the tests and take care of yourself!
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #3  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Don't panic yet. Wait to see what the test results reveal. Stay strong.
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #4  

gettinmygrooveback: Stay strong, phase 3 is safe for you right now, just hang in there!
sandyh50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #5  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

that is scary, you do what the doctor tells you, I know I have read in the past that others have had the heart racing thing too, and it is quite common but I am glad you went to the doctor. Take care.
2RIDEROLLERCOAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #6  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Girl you said you were winning the battle...YOU are STILL winning the battle you have loss 40 or so pounds which is great. This isn't over, just a small kink in the rope, you will get passed it. YOU my friend are STRONG and will do this!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/179/141

Yeah, I'd be freaked out too, on so many levels. Right there with you on "hello? not giving up the diet? ...but your right, your health--WOW. Yes, Yes, must take the care to do this right for yourself. Hope your tests come off on the fine side. In my prayers.
petie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/155/125

Height: 5' 3.5"

Sorry. I hope that it is nothing.

I know what you mean and how scared you are. I went through something like this a few years back. Did tests and I was told that it was just panic attack.

Out of nowhere I would feel dizzy, my heart would race a mile a minute, my blood pressure would go up, and I would have a hard time breathing. Usually it lasted a minute or so, and then I was OK and would sweat all over as if I had been running for an hour.

My doctor gave me something to calm me down. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I didn't feel right when taking it, so after a few days I stopped. But she assured me that my heart was OK.

At first I had it a few times a week, but little by little it happend less often, and then it stopped.

Hopefully yours is nothing serious as well. Take care.
rachelearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #9  

My heart goes out of sync for a couple of days if I drink just 1 cup of coffee. Both decaf and regular. I just can't drink it anymore.

To deal with panic attacks, read the book: Phobia Free, by Dr Harold Levinson.
He lists over the counter medications to treat them.

I am a GASTRONIMIST! I see Planet Earth as a really great source of wonderful things to eat.

Last edited by JOLINA; 08-09-2011 at 05:00 PM.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #10  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

i agree that it absolutely sounds like a panic attack
They are truly scary, and i understand completely that in the moment, you feel you are going to die....... it is a psychological issue though, rather than there being anything wrong with you, physically. Thats just my opinion-- that it was a panic attack
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/127/125

I'm so sorry this happened to you! It sounds really scary

I remember reading somewhere that you have thyroid problems? This might have something to do with that. If so, maybe an adjustment of your meds could help with that.

I guess it will all depend on the results from your tests, but hopefully if it's nothing major you can bring in those results to show them to an IP doctor and something can be worked out. Maybe as you suggested just upping your packets to 4-5 would be enough.

You most definitively have not lost the battle!
Gika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #12  
aka CAT

S/C/G: 212.4/204.6/170

Height: 5'-10"

Thank you for all the love, my friends! I think that's just what I need today....is to be held! Scott....where are you?

I do know for a fact that this is not a panic attack. What I did not share was the fact that I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolaspe almost 24 years ago...after giving birth to my son. My mitral valve (the largest valve in your heart) does not make a perfect seal. This is actually a very common issue with many people. A slight misbeat, stress, adrenaline, etc. can cause blood to flow backwards. Way back when I could feel a slight pain or feel an irregular heartbeat but only for a sec or so....nothing like what I experienced yesterday. I was told to go directly to the emergency room should it happen again before we found out why it’s happening. It's one of three things.....the valve is deteriorating (very bad), my body has not come to terms with my weight loss yet or my thyroid medication is now too strong. I'm banking on the latter. I lowered my dosage this morning before I even spoke to the doctor. My coach and I actually discussed this when I first started IP……once my insulin got back in check would my thyroid follow suit?…….all about a wait and see.

No stress here…… ...yeah, right!!!! I wish my biggest issue of the day was how to stay OP.

I may disappear for awhile.....don't be alarmed, I've just gone into my "cave" to protect myself.

Last edited by gettinmygrooveback; 08-09-2011 at 06:02 PM.
gettinmygrooveback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #13  
On my last diet

S/C/G: 197.6/163.2/146

Height: 5'

Well I HOPE it was a panic attack and I know, yeah they do feel just like the real thing. I had one back about 7 years ago and the worst part was I had to stay at the hospital for all that time while they wait for the tests.

Stay calm and cool and carry on.
JackieGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #14  
On my last diet

S/C/G: 197.6/163.2/146

Height: 5'

Whoops sorry I guess we were posting at the same time. Oh that's a whole different ballgame for sure. Sorry.
JackieGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #15  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinmygrooveback View Post
Thank you for all the love, my friends! I think that's just what I need today....is to be held!

I do know for a fact that this is not a panic attack. What I did not share was the fact that I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolaspe almost 24 years ago...after giving birth to my son. My mitral valve (the largest valve in your heart) does not make a perfect seal. This is actually a very common issue with many people. A slight misbeat, stress, adrenaline, etc. can cause blood to flow backwards. Way back when I could feel a slight pain or feel an irregular heartbeat but only for a sec or so....nothing like what I experienced yesterday. I was told to go directly to the emergency room should it happen again before we found out why it’s happening. It's one of three things.....the valve is deteriorating (very bad), my body has not come to terms with my weight loss yet or my thyroid medication is now too strong. I'm banking on the latter. I lowered my dosage this morning before I even spoke to the doctor. My coach and I actually discussed this when I first started IP……once my insulin got back in check would my thyroid follow suit?…….all about a wait and see.

No stress here…… ...yeah, right!!!! I wish my biggest issue of the day was how to stay OP.

I may disappear for awhile.....don't be alarmed, I've just gone into my "cave" to protect myself.
Well if you do disappear for a while into your cave protecting yourself, just remember we are all here worried about you and praying for you. Keep us posted that is for sure you aren't too far away where I can't come see you if you need
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote