Water - Too Much of a Good Thing?

• I am normally a pretty big water drinker (2-3 liters/day), however I am finding myself increasingly thirsty on this diet. Lately, I find myself drinking more like 5 liters of water a day (and that is in addition to the water used for IP drinks and in my coffee). I know that high protein diets cause diuresis and can trigger excessive thirst, but not sure if/when it is a problem. I use my sea salt liberally and increase my potassium on workout days. I read earlier today that someone's coach wanted her to drink less water, so it made me wonder: How much is too much water? Does the excessive thirst indicate a problem I need to be aware of or should otherwise be concerned about?

I should note that a few glass of this water are because they are satisfying my desire to eat (I have a few glasses of herbal tea at night) and not necessarily responding to the thirst as is the majority of the time.
  • I normally have about 140oz a day. A lot of mine comes right before lunch if I'm hungry and right before dinner if I'm hungry so I don't munch. I don't feel super thirsty but I LOVE my water. I carry it with me everywhere. I don't know how much is too much but I am interested in knowing also.
  • The program says 8-10 (I think?) glasses of water a day. Be careful if you drink too much more because it can throw your mineral balance off. If you do go over, make sure that you are getting enough salt (sodium chloride) so that you aren't light-headed. You might also need to take an additional potassium. These are electrolytes and that is why athletes have sports drinks. Here is a link that has some decent information on why drinking too much water (without the addition of electrolytes) can be dangerous.

http://www.drugs.com/cg/liquids-and-...-athletes.html
  • Quote: I am normally a pretty big water drinker (2-3 liters/day), however I am finding myself increasingly thirsty on this diet. Lately, I find myself drinking more like 5 liters of water a day (and that is in addition to the water used for IP drinks and in my coffee). I know that high protein diets cause diuresis and can trigger excessive thirst, but not sure if/when it is a problem. I use my sea salt liberally and increase my potassium on workout days. I read earlier today that someone's coach wanted her to drink less water, so it made me wonder: How much is too much water? Does the excessive thirst indicate a problem I need to be aware of or should otherwise be concerned about?

I should note that a few glass of this water are because they are satisfying my desire to eat (I have a few glasses of herbal tea at night) and not necessarily responding to the thirst as is the majority of the time.
    There's a calculator available that says how much water you should drink. Depends on a lot of factors and the quiz takes about a minute to complete. It's at http://nutrition.about.com/library/b...calculator.htm

It has some interesting facts and I did mine and should be having about 3.1 liters a day, 20% of that coming from food, or a net of 2.5 liters of actual water (or soft drinks, or tea, or coffee, etc) based on my input.
  • I took that quiz and it said,

92 ounces of water today, or 2.8 liters.

If you eat a healthy diet, about 20 percent of your water may come from the foods you eat. If you eat a healthy diet you can drink 73.6 ounces of water today, or 2.2 liters.

That means I'm drinking about 50oz too much. I'm going to continue to drink my 140 though. I take 2 potassium a day anyway because I was having issues with charlie horses.