Old 06-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #1  

Default Splenda/Stevia Question

Is there a limit to how many Splenda/Stevia packs we can have per day?
GramEGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #2  
IP Reboot 4/08/17

S/C/G: 258/169/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GramEGail View Post
Is there a limit to how many Splenda/Stevia packs we can have per day?
my nutritionist/doctor/coach all say to keep it to a minimum. on the list it says to only have it in the morning with coffee if needed, but i sometimes use it in special dishes that i make, and i also use it in sugar free syrup form to add to my shakes or coffee. i'd say to stay under 2 packets a day.
longdivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

I'm not using a limit currently (I need my tea to be sweetened) and I don't think I could cut that out until I absolutely have too (when there is a stall).
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 147/138.8/105

Height: 5' 2.25"

I was told to limit Splenda because there really is sugar/carbs in it. The FDA allows them to state 0 because there is less than one, but there is like .99 (this is what I was told, but I have not verified). So I was told use Stevia as much as I want, but Splenda as little as possible, and aspartame and sacharin not at all.
longhorn96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #5  

Ack! I guess I'm moving over to Stevia lol - thanks for the info - I'm doing my own research now.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #6  

Thanks for your input! I have been using the Stevia in the Raw packets. I like it in my tea too - some days I have used 6. It just occurred to me yesterday because because it was only on my sheet that once in morning too and I don't see my coach until next Wednesday. Thanks again.....
GramEGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #7  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

Actually, it's more like 0.5 per packet/teaspoon.
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #8  

Ok, so I tried the Stevia...ummm...yuk! Like bitter bitter yuk, I'm not sure I could replace splenda with it. I may have to go black in my coffee and just limit the splenda. :/
Old 06-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

Height: 5'7"

I didn't like the taste of stevia either, so I split the difference - half splenda and half stevia. Then I found truvia and I like it much better - it's still made from the stevia plant, but uses a different part of it. I find there is little to no aftertaste with truvia.
Laura G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

I also really like truvia
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #11  

I've never heard of truvia (I'm going hunting for this one, this weekend!), this place is a WEALTH of knowledge! I'll probably try to get used to the stevia or try your idea Laura and split the difference until it's all gone. Hate to waste such an expensive little package.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

I bought my truvia at walmart so you should be able to get it about anywhere. I just have it in the little sugar style packets. I find it even a bit sweeter than sugar so... I usually only use half a packet in my cup of tea.
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I'm not really sure I understand. If you don't feel Splenda should be avoided due to the chemicals why would you worry that it has 1 calorie or a gram of carbs per packet?

A gram of carbs isn't going to cause any problems. If it did, you would have to avoid all vegtables. I'm not an IP food expert but I'm guessing plenty of IP foods are not totally devoid of carbs either.

I'm of the opinion you shouldn't make dieting more difficult than it needs to be and the less stress and worry in your life - the better.

The number of carbs one needs to consume to exit ketosis is variable on the individual but the range is 50-100 grams of carbs per day. Thus - a couple splenda packets are not a big deal.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

John, you are correct in the assumptin that IP foods aren't devoid of carbs. They range from 1 to 18 carbs depending on the item being eaten.

For a person in Phase 1 they should be getting a value of carbs somewhere in the low 20's with another 15 or 20 carbs coming from seasoning/spices, alloted milk portion, and vegetables. Some people will be fairly liberal with their portions by eyeballing instead of measuring and, others will use items that have hidden carbs very freely. The guidelines about things like gum and splenda really aren't that the one carb can do anything to move you from ketosis IF you are doing everything as directed. The problem is too many people don't use 1 packet, they use 3 per glass of tea and have 4 or 5 glasses of tea in a day. That plus other liberal uses of hidden carbs can add up and, in the case of a person who does fall out of ketosis at 50g of total carbs can cause a fluctuation in and out of ketosis.

Granted it would be a fluctuation and, provided the person doesn't begin to crave or seriously over eat carbs, should barely be felt but, if it persists like that the person is then not on a ketogenic diet burning their fat but, is on a calorie restricted diet and, they will potentially burn muscle before burning fat. Not the healthiest of places to be.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:30 AM   #15  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Granted it would be a fluctuation and, provided the person doesn't begin to crave or seriously over eat carbs, should barely be felt but, if it persists like that the person is then not on a ketogenic diet burning their fat but, is on a calorie restricted diet and, they will potentially burn muscle before burning fat. Not the healthiest of places to be.
Showgilaz you clearly understand the psychology. Allow me to help you out with the physiology.

Carbs are protein sparing. Assuming someone doesn't decrease their protein intake, increasing carbs only makes it less likely muscle will be catabolized. Ketosis is not an on or off switch.

Personally - while I'm not big on the idea that splenda is dangerous in moderation at a certain point it isn't doing your body any favors. Rat studies showed adverse digestion effects at only 1.1 g per kg.

Thus if someone is consuming 5+ splenda packets a day + the splenda in IP packets + the splenda in IP foods ... well it seems to me this is a bigger problem than the extra 2.5 carbs in the 5 splenda packets.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote