Old 03-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/335/200

Height: 6'1"

Default IP Fats and Oils (four letter words)

[Note - four letter words because the forum won't search using three letter words ]

I tried a search and did not get hits on "fat" or "oil" because the number of letters in each is below the threshold for searching. I tried the plural of each and only got one thread hit. So...

I would like to submit this thread to gather pointers to any of the other good postings on the topic and capture any new comments from the forum on fats and oils.

I was told specifically olive oil or grape seed oil, nothing else. Is there any more information relating to that selection?

Sesame oil seems to sit between OO and GSO for amounts of mono and poly-unsaturated fats and I wonder if that would be an option to flavor stir fries or a sesame-ginger dressing for salad.

There also seem to be an increasing number of external discussions about the use of virgin coconut oil and the specific type of saturated fat (medium-chain) that it has. Searching the other day I found discussions of coconut oil being used to help induce ketosis due to the way the body processes it, and potentially as a metabolism aid. It tastes good, too (if you like coconut)!

I am pretty happy with EVOO and GSO for now and I am not looking for reasons to go off plan, like "shall we try avocado oil or almond oil today". But, since I already have some sesame oil in the pantry and it works well for a couple of dishes, is there a particular reason to exclude it, other than to simplify the plan?
stinhoutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #2  

I missed this thread from a couple days ago, Coconut Oil

Last edited by stinhoutx; 03-29-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #3  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinhoutx View Post
I would like to submit this thread to gather pointers to any of the other good postings on the topic and capture any new comments from the forum on fats and oils.

I was told specifically olive oil or grape seed oil, nothing else. Is there any more information relating to that selection?

Sesame oil seems to sit between OO and GSO for amounts of mono and poly-unsaturated fats and I wonder if that would be an option to flavor stir fries or a sesame-ginger dressing for salad.

There also seem to be an increasing number of external discussions about the use of virgin coconut oil and the specific type of saturated fat (medium-chain) that it has. Searching the other day I found discussions of coconut oil being used to help induce ketosis due to the way the body processes it, and potentially as a metabolism aid. It tastes good, too (if you like coconut)!

I am pretty happy with EVOO and GSO for now and I am not looking for reasons to go off plan, like "shall we try avocado oil or almond oil today". But, since I already have some sesame oil in the pantry and it works well for a couple of dishes, is there a particular reason to exclude it, other than to simplify the plan?
Sesame oil is heavy in polyunsaturated oil, which is probably the reason it's not included. Like others, I use coconut oil and have since before starting IP because I know (coming form Hawai'i) that it and macadamia oil are good oils AND their burn/carcinogen level is much higher than EVOO. I was going to laboriously copy the values in each but it would probably be better if you checked for yourself and made your own judgment. Here's the tool to use:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Just enter the food you want to search, fill in one circle, and choose the weight/amount you want to compare.

Last edited by Linden; 03-30-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Sesame oil is heavy in polyunsaturated oil, which is probably the reason it's not included.
The sesame oil I have has less polyunsaturated oil than the grapeseed oil. The grapeseed oil is mostly polyunsaturated and the olive oil is mostly monounsaturated. The sesame is about 50/50.