Old 01-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/268.2/130

Height: 5'5"

Question Ip & Pcos

Hi! I am wondering how many of you have been diagnosed with PCOS and are on the IP program. Are you taking any medications? If you have lost weight have you been able to get off of your medications?
Camio87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #2  
Started IP 8/29/10

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camio87 View Post
Hi! I am wondering how many of you have been diagnosed with PCOS and are on the IP program. Are you taking any medications? If you have lost weight have you been able to get off of your medications?
Hi Camio,
I have PCOS (so does my coach) and have also been diagnosed as Type II pre-diabetic. I am on 500 mg of Metformin, 2 x per day. IP has been incredible for lowering my blood sugar and my doctor says that it is possible to reverse the diagnosis of pre-diabetes and get off my medication altogether. I'm not there yet, but hope to be one day soon. I'm sorry that I can't be helpful about getting off your meds for PCOS as the main focus for my healthcare has centered around the diabetes. Have you talked with your doctor about this?
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 288/268.2/130

I have not yet been dianogsed as pre-diabetic, and was on metformin when I was first diagnosed in high school, but after my doctor said I was no longer suffering from PCOS she told me not to take the metformin anymore. When I switched doctors just recently she couldn`t believe that I was not on the pill or metformin. I started the pill three weeks ago, and am waiting for a few results before deciding about starting metformin. I am just curious about if the effects of IP have made living with PCOS more tolerable for some people?
Camio87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:50 AM   #4  
started IP 1.11.11

S/C/G: 242/209/175

Height: 5'7"

I have PCOS. So far, this diet has been great. I feel the best I have in awhile and my weight is dropping off. I am insulin resistant and have always struggled to lose/keep it off. I'm on no meds besides BCP because metformin gave me huge bathroom issues. I am really hopeful that I will reduce and/or eliminate some of the horrible symptoms of PCOS.
ash825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/188/125

Height: 5'0"

I was Dx with PCOS. I also have hypothyroidism and insulin resistance. My dr gave me metformin and I took it for a couple of months. It didn't help me loose any weight - and lowered my blood sugar too much. I stopped taking it when I almost passed out at Barnes and Nobel. I sort of wonder if the Dr just put down PCOS b/c he didn't know what else was wrong with me.

I tried other diets that were supposed to help with PCOS and didn't have any success - but this is working.

And maybe I'm just imagining it or wishful thinking - but I think my facial hair has gotten better these past couple of weeks. It doesn't seem to be growing back as fast. I haven't had to tweezer my chin/mustache in almost a week

I've missed my period this month - which I'm just chalking up to stress related from loosing weight so fast.

..aahh - the joys of hormones!
slickmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #6  
started IP 1.11.11

slickmouse, my facial hair is decreasing too. When I make goal, I'm getting laser hair removal!! I'm soooo excited.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/188/125

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash825 View Post
slickmouse, my facial hair is decreasing too. When I make goal, I'm getting laser hair removal!! I'm soooo excited.
I've thought about doing that - but I guess I'm just hoping it will go away on it's own.

I often see 50% off coupons for a place here on Groupon. Once I reach goal I may consider it myself.
slickmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #8  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

I have PCOS and have been very successful losing weight. I had been on metformin years ago and quit taking it because of the side effects. I managed to control my blood sugar but not the insulin resistances. I also take thyroid medication. The last three months my periods have even regular which is a huge change. I am doing a day long series of hormone testing today and will be very interested to see the results. IMHO, IP is the ideal diet for those of us with PCOS---low carb, moderate protein.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #9  
started IP 1.11.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionm View Post
I have PCOS and have been very successful losing weight. I had been on metformin years ago and quit taking it because of the side effects. I managed to control my blood sugar but not the insulin resistances. I also take thyroid medication. The last three months my periods have even regular which is a huge change. I am doing a day long series of hormone testing today and will be very interested to see the results. IMHO, IP is the ideal diet for those of us with PCOS---low carb, moderate protein.
Wow! Great job! Gives me huge hope!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/141/140

Hi! I am Type 2 diabetic and insulin resistant. I have been able to stop all my insulin, and 2 of my 3 blood pressure meds. I am also a nurse practitioner, and I believe that those with PCOS should do just as well with IP! Best to all of you!
Traveling Stitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #11  

I have PCOS and have taken BC's but never took metformin. I've been on IP for 7 weeks and lost 15 lbs so far. But, I haven't lost any weight for 2 weeks now which is discouraging..I wonder if any of you with PCOS have hit a plateau in phase 1.
nbji890 is offline   Reply With Quote