Old 01-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #1  
Loving the Sleeved Life

S/C/G: 267/252/133.5

Height: 5'3"

Default Tea

Being from the Gulf Coast, I normally only drink iced Lipton Sweet Tea. I've cut that out, as a pitcher has two-three cups of sugar in it(!). I love my coffee and loved hot tea when I've traveled, but have NO clue about what to buy.

I'm going to Teavana at our mall tomorrow, and wondered if any of you had suggestions. I've been checking out their website, and many of their teas have fruit in them. This is a no-no, right?

It pains me to say this, but....I have NO CLUE! Suggestions? Advice? Forget it?
Joliebug82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #2  
IP Success Story

S/C/G: 345.6 / 249 / 250

Height: 6 foot

I drink a de-caffinated Peppermint tea with splenda in it everyday. When you drink it it counts towards your total water intake for the day.
couts71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #3  
Loving the Sleeved Life

Does tea have carbs? Maybe a stupid question, but I have no clue. Some of them are infused with strawberries and such, or are called creme brulee tea. ???
Old 01-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

You are allowed to drink ANY VARIETY of brewed tea. It is best to go herbal. It is fine if they have fruit and flowers; the yogurt drink has dehydrated fruit in it. If not go for the decaf teas. If you want caffeinated tea, just remember 1 cup of water for each cup of caffeine after the first 8oz.

All of the herbal teas (fruit, flower, herb, etc) count toward your water.

JUST REMEMBER only sweeten with stevia or splenda.

I like to have mint teas to relax, apple cinnamon or orange to refresh, caramel or chai is like dessert. If you do a chai tea, have it brewed strong with room in the cup and you can add some ready to drink shake as creamer it is YUMMY!

OOO! AND GINGER!! LOVE ginger tea. It makes so warm (literally). It also is an herb that helps cleanse the pancreas, if you subscribe to natural healing principles.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 01-21-2011 at 04:04 PM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 161/143.6/124

Height: 5'4"

PHEW glad to hear the fruit teas are ok! i have been using them to help with sugar urges. Blueberry and peach are my favs! they also have a black cherry here at work. YUMMY!
amber2beme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #6  
Loving the Sleeved Life

Awesome! Thanks so much, Carla! I'm going to try the praline caramel tea. I am missing my pralines and king cake.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #7  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Could you not just make the tea with splenda rather than sugar? I don't notice a difference between the two.
Mrs Diettrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #8  
Re-Started IP 1/17/12

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
Could you not just make the tea with splenda rather than sugar? I don't notice a difference between the two.
It's a southern thing! Sweet tea isn't sweet tea unless it is made with sugar. LOL I do drink unsweetened iced tea with splenda, but I would never in a million years call that "sweet tea".
machbasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #9  
Re-Started IP 1/17/12

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliebug82 View Post
Awesome! Thanks so much, Carla! I'm going to try the praline caramel tea. I am missing my pralines and king cake.

The praline caramel tea is sugar free?
machbasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 222.1/206.9/140

Height: 5'6"

Thank you soooo much Carla for the RTD in regular chai tea! I miss my Starbucks runs for my chai, but the thought of doing your version is making me smile! ;-)
CC Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #11  
Re-Start 8/6/2012

S/C/G: 202/152/155

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Sunshine View Post
Thank you soooo much Carla for the RTD in regular chai tea! I miss my Starbucks runs for my chai, but the thought of doing your version is making me smile! ;-)
I have one everynight in the tub - HEAVEN! Its like a latte!
Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #12  

Quote:
It also works well to use 12 oz. of cool (or room temp) brewed chai tea and mix it with the vanilla pudding mix. Yum! Or Oregon Chai makes a sugar free version of their chai concentrate (I found it at Wal-Mart in the tea/coffee aisle) and using 6 oz. of that and 6 oz. of water with the vanilla pudding mix makes a FABULOUS drink.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:35 AM   #13  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliebug82 View Post
I agree! I don't have the praline caramel but I do have a caramel creme tea! It is yummy! I add a little extra sugar free caramel syrup or dip to it to make it more rich.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by machbasy View Post
It's a southern thing! Sweet tea isn't sweet tea unless it is made with sugar. LOL I do drink unsweetened iced tea with splenda, but I would never in a million years call that "sweet tea".
Mrs D. Like Machbasy says "it's a southern thing!" I remember our sweet tea growing up, MMMM, and it could ONLY be made with liquid sugar syrup. It was like ambrosia when made properly. NOTHING mimics that same taste and texture. It may be sweetened tea but, Southern Sweet Tea is a drink to itself in my book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by machbasy View Post
The praline caramel tea is sugar free?
My caramel is sugar/carb free! I am sure you would have to read the labels!

Quote:
You're welcome but, I learned the trick from Jordanna! I think she was the first person to post the recipe. Since then MANY of us enjoy it, as you can see from Lesley and Mrs D.'s comments. I was very much a Starbucks Chai addict. I even bought the Tazo chai to make at home if I didn't have time for a stop before work! I am so glad you have a new substitute. It really does taste good. I brew the chai with 2 tea bags, in 8oz water so it is very strong then add the vanilla drink and a bit of either (sometimes both) cinnamon liquid stevia or vanilla creme liquid stevia. It is just fine with splenda though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley View Post
I have one everynight in the tub - HEAVEN! Its like a latte!

Quote:
It also works well to use 12 oz. of cool (or room temp) brewed chai tea and mix it with the vanilla pudding mix. Yum! Or Oregon Chai makes a sugar free version of their chai concentrate (I found it at Wal-Mart in the tea/coffee aisle) and using 6 oz. of that and 6 oz. of water with the vanilla pudding mix makes a FABULOUS drink.

I am gonna have to try it that way! I loved the Oregon Chai but, I didn't know they had a sugar free version til you posted the other day. It sounds yummy!
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I am gonna have to try it that way! I loved the Oregon Chai but, I didn't know they had a sugar free version til you posted the other day. It sounds yummy!
It is SOOOOOOO good - I haven't seen the SF boxes anywhere else than Wal-Mart. My grocery stores don't carry them. But using their concentrate lets you get that stronger Starbucksy chai taste. Mmmmmm...... Maybe I'll have that for breakfast...
Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 222.1/206.9/140

Height: 5'6"

I just wanted to thank you for all the different chai tea tips. I've always had my Starbucks chai addiction in the winter. I give it up in the summer with no problem, but it is a major comfort food for me in the winter. I've been on IP for 3 1/2 months now and am down 35 lbs. I had quite a few struggles over the holidays, but am back on track now. I love this forum. There is so much support here and valuable information. I've recommended it to several other IP dieters. Thank you guys!
CC Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote