Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174.4/166/130

Height: 5'3"

Default IP Products, then alternatives...still lost???

I spent some time today reading through the alternatives stickie and I became curious if there are more us using IP products or more using alternative products?

I am most curious about those who began with IP products and then made a switch while still in phase 1 and whether your success continued.

I have learned so much from all of you, and I am happy for your successes!
newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

I am using IP products. I did only IP to lose my initial weight. During my break from IP I samples several of the alternate products. Many I wouldn't use because they were very obviously breaking the guidelines IP establishes.

Others I tried and, yes, I noticed differences. And yes, I thought most tasted quite good.

I am doing my second round to lose my final 40 pounds or so. I am doing all Ideal Protein again.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #3  
Started 9/25/10

S/C/G: 310 / 252 / 210

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I am using IP products. I did only IP to lose my initial weight. During my break from IP I samples several of the alternate products. Many I wouldn't use because they were very obviously breaking the guidelines IP establishes.
Aside from the use of aspertame, what other guidelines were being broken?
tedski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 7"

I switched to all alternative to save$. And am happy with my progress.
in4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedski View Post
Aside from the use of aspertame, what other guidelines were being broken?
You have to be careful with the lindora products. They use sugar, fructose,dextrose, maltodextrin, and starches in the puddings and most drinks. The RTD, mango peach, and orange drink are ok. But the others have at least one of the other items in the ingredients and often in the first 5 or even 2 in the first 7.

Also, be careful with the ratios of carb/fat/protein. Some of their items have only 15 gram of protein per serving and increase the fat substantially. In those cases they are more similar to atkins.

Those are a few that I remember seeing off the top of my head. I also reviewed the new lifestyle and nashua nutrition lines. There are definitely some very workable choices but, I see many products that are more compatible with other diets out there similar to IP and not exactly IP.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #6  
Started 9/25/10

S/C/G: 310 / 252 / 210

Height: 5'9"

Thanks Carla. I'm mainly using the nashua nutrition soups, jello and pudding. I'll check out the ingredients more closely.

As for the ratios of fat/carbs/protein, I'm take that into account, but it seems that even IP (with their recent changes to the carbs eggs/pudding) is a bit fluid in this arena.
tedski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #7  

If it is a restricted item showing sugars or maltodextrin, that is fine, EVEN IP uses sugars and maltodextrin in the restricted BUT, you should not find it in the pudding, soup, or drink equivalents.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #8  
ALM
Started IP 12/01/2010

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/175

Height: 5ft 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton View Post
I spent some time today reading through the alternatives stickie and I became curious if there are more us using IP products or more using alternative products?

I am most curious about those who began with IP products and then made a switch while still in phase 1 and whether your success continued.

I have learned so much from all of you, and I am happy for your successes!
I've been using both IP foods and supplementing one or two packets per day with alternate products to cut down costs. I can't speak to all the scientific stuff but I can say this... I did IP previous to my pregnancy (with no alternatives) and in the first 7 weeks I lost 26.5 lbs. This time around I lost 29lbs in six weeks. So, I would say, in my case as far as wgt loss is concerned I am still able to be successful. I'm not totally vigilant when it comes to the ingredients so I don't know that I am getting the full benefit of the diet (resting the pancreas) but I'm on maternity leave and just can't afford the full cost of IP so this is a sacrafice I need to make.

Also, even with differing ingredients I have no problems staying in ketosis. Good luck!
ALM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 216.4/175.4/169

Height: 5'7"

Before IP I was on Wonderslim, they have shakes and puddings and other meals. They are similar to IP in that they are higher protein but they are also higher carbs. I plan on using the ones I have left when I get to phase 3/4. I think they will help me stay on track and slowly add carbs to my diet. I noticed that they were on nashua nutrition website but I always bought them from diet direct, which also has some good deals on high protein low carb 'meals'.
annieann77 is offline   Reply With Quote