Old 01-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Default Help-IP when you are sick (cough syrup advice)

Happy New Year to all,
I'm home sick with a cold/cough and am very tempted to now take the codeine cough syrup so I can rest tonight, but I cannot find any sugars or carbs listed on the prescription or on the internet. Has anyone dealt with this while on IP? If a little cough syrup will throw me out of ketosis, then it is NOT worth it and I will just manage through the cough.

Thanks for your help
Rachelle
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTraveleronIP View Post
Happy New Year to all,
I'm home sick with a cold/cough and am very tempted to now take the codeine cough syrup so I can rest tonight, but I cannot find any sugars or carbs listed on the prescription or on the internet. Has anyone dealt with this while on IP? If a little cough syrup will throw me out of ketosis, then it is NOT worth it and I will just manage through the cough.

Thanks for your help
Rachelle
You can ask your pharmacist for diabetic cough syrup. Not sure about codeine cough syrup. Good luck and feel better soon!
100ButterflyKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #3  

What about cough drops? Is there a particular brand that is better than anyone has used? I have a sore throat and would love a cough drop. Rachelle, I hope you get to feeling better!
beckyinoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Thanks for your help Becky and Butterfly Kisses I hope you feel better too, Becky. Even though the cough syrup is sugar-free, it still has alcohol, so I'll just cough until I make it back to the store for sugar-free/alcohol-free cough relief. Sucks to be sick, especially on IP I'm pretty sure there are sugar-free cough drops/throat drops. I'll ask a pharmacist tomorrow.
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

yes, sugar and alcohol free syrups do exist, but you often have to ask for it from the pharmacist. don't know about codiene syrups, you can always take a tylenol #1 for the codeine if not.
I get my doc to prescribe plain codeine tablets for when I need extra pain meds or cough meds to avoid the sugar, (and the caffeine added into the tylenol with codeine meds). I just get 10 at a time, and use them sparingly. They usually expire before they are used up, since I usually just take a 1/2 at a time.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #6  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

I had a nasty sinus/throat infection for about 4 weeks in November. If I took my syrup at the same time I was doing protein packs I stayed in Ketosis. You should be ok. If you are concerned maybe avoid any restricted while you are on the syrup. I hope you feel better soon.
EatAnts is offline   Reply With Quote