Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #1  
Started IP 7/7/2010
Thread Starter
 
Marionm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 608

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Default Commercial

I've been pretty public with my weight loss journey, both on my blog and on Facebook. I use 'Lose It' on my iPhone after my weigh in which posts my losses (or gains) on Facebook and over the weekend I finally posted a picture of me at half-way. In one way or another, I've been approached by 5 or 6 people in the last two weeks that sincerely want to know what I'm doing. I'd really like to be able to give people a consistent and thorough (though not overwhelming) overview of the program along with some idea of the commitment it takes to do it.

I certainly didn't intend to be a commercial for IP, but the proof is raising lots of questions and I don't want to keep typing the same thing over and over or miss something important, so...I'm writing my kind of commercial for IP and I'd like to know what you think would be important to tell a person who is interested in losing weight and considering IP?

I figure once it is written, I can post it on my blog and then, just send people the link with some personal comments when they ask.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help!
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #2  
Senior Member
 
I'm svelting!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: GTA, ON, Canada
Posts: 966

Default Technical/logistical stuff

Whatever you put on your blog, set up trackbacks so you can see where it's been quoted. You may want to provide some way for people to reach you if they want to reuse your content.

I'm adamantly against a commercial enterprise making money off your work -- writing and dieting (which, ummmmm, you paid for) -- and would encourage you to take steps to give yourself the control about how your images and work is used.

Your mileage may vary.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #3  
Started IP 7/7/2010
Thread Starter
 
Marionm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 608

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
Whatever you put on your blog, set up trackbacks so you can see where it's been quoted. You may want to provide some way for people to reach you if they want to reuse your content.

I'm adamantly against a commercial enterprise making money off your work -- writing and dieting (which, ummmmm, you paid for) -- and would encourage you to take steps to give yourself the control about how your images and work is used.

Your mileage may vary.
I sent you a PM about this.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #4  
Member
 
Ciebelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 75

S/C/G: 195/159/140

Height: 5'3" started IP Sept 13/2010

Default

Not so much a commercial, but I know our clinic gives you a box of free food for each person who signs up and you have referred.
Ciebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #5  
Getting it Done!
 
Rocky Monarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 360

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionm View Post
what you think would be important to tell a person who is interested in losing weight and considering IP? [/COLOR][/SIZE]
low carb, low fat, moderate protein.
not like other low carb diets
developed by a doctor
involves a lifetime commitment to significantly change the way you eat, not just a "one-off" till the pounds are gone.
don't do it unless you really mean it
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #6  
Senior Member
 
I'm svelting!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: GTA, ON, Canada
Posts: 966

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
don't do it unless you really mean it
One
Seconding this part of Rocky's advice. (I do that a lot with her posts. )

I had to deal with myself, if you know what I mean, about having my only carbs come from vegetables -- no fruit, no grains, no sugar. Flour-sugar-fat combinations were my favorites and I had to carefully consider whether I would do the program as it was designed.

Two
Inside the commitment to not eating fruit, grains, or refined carbs, one thing that worked for me was to commit to the program for a limited period of time. I chose 13 weeks, 1/4 of a year. I decided I would give IP my best for that time period and see where I got at the end of it. I'm almost there, and I'm thrilled with the results. Other people might find a shorter period more manageable.

Three
Get connected with other people who are following Ideal Protein or a lower-carb, sufficient protein diet. 3fatchicks IP board is a good place to start.

Four
Also, talk to the people you live with, regularly eat with (and maybe people you work with) about what it's going to take for you to be successful and what you're going to need from them:
  • cupboards clear of "no no" foods for you, or storing their treats in a special cupboard away from the regular food supplies
  • not asking you to buy, cook or in anyway handle foods that aren't on program. (a MAJOR pet peeve of mine in reading about some IPrs' spouses, partners and families)
  • reminding you GENTLY of your commitment to your health when you're tempted
  • not offering you foods off program
  • if they do offer you foods off program, they'll honor a promise to hearing your "No" and withdrawing the food and the offer ASAP, Pronto, immediately

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 10-04-2010 at 12:33 PM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #7  
Senior Member
 
showgirlaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,094

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default

I have had the same experience. It really is wonderful to be a walking testimonial for something as great as this program.

You might share the link for the IP web page that gives the best information for the program. http://www.idealprotein.com/ipcl_usen.asp?no=296

Outside of that just make sure, in addition to Rocky's info, they know this program is focused on burning fat, saving and maintaining healthy muscle, assists in skin having its best possible appearance by helping reduce cellulite and maintain or improve elasticity. They should probably know that this helps to improve cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure.

Also let them know average weight loss for women is 3 to 4 pounds a week and men see 4 to 7 pounds a week. In some of the IP literature it actually says women lose 2 to 4 pounds a week.

I think it is great that you want to do this. It give you control of what your image is linked to and that is a good thing in my book. As it is ALL of us, to some extent, by participating on this board, sharing our stories, adding our pictures, and all the extras we do are providing those testimonials for IP. When you do an Ideal Protein search quite frequently our threads come up. If someone is just checking out the different diet info on 3fc and stumble on this forum, the comments here are a great ad for IP.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #8  
Started IP 7/7/2010
Thread Starter
 
Marionm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 608

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Default

Very good points everyone! Once I get through my regular classwork for the week which involves writing a literature paper then, I'll start putting this to actual keystrokes.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #9  
Started IP 7/7/2010
Thread Starter
 
Marionm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 608

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Default

Does anyone know the cost for enrollment in IP Togo? I don't plan on sharing it publicly as I'm writing this, but if any of my more remotely located friends ask, I'd like to be able to give them a ballpark amount.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #10  
Member
 
msren10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 54

S/C/G: 190/143.5/140

Height: 5'5

Default

I am doing Ideal To Go and there is a $25 registration fee that can be waived (it was for me - maybe because I mentioned in an email that I knew someone who had been successful, not sure how they decide). The food is $27 per box plus shipping. I would advise anyone doing Ideal To Go to be sure they stay vigilent on this board or another IP educated group because my experience with my "coach" has left much to be desired. I emailed him about checking in for my first week weigh in and a week later I have yet ot hear back from him. I'm not detered because I know it can be done and one's success should be rooted in their own personal commitment (at least for me). To be fair though, I also hear on the board that others have had a phenomenal experience with their remote coaches so who knows. Just an FYI for whoever might sign up.
msren10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #11  
Started IP 7/7/2010
Thread Starter
 
Marionm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 608

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msren10 View Post
I am doing Ideal To Go and there is a $25 registration fee that can be waived (it was for me - maybe because I mentioned in an email that I knew someone who had been successful, not sure how they decide). The food is $27 per box plus shipping. I would advise anyone doing Ideal To Go to be sure they stay vigilent on this board or another IP educated group because my experience with my "coach" has left much to be desired. I emailed him about checking in for my first week weigh in and a week later I have yet ot hear back from him. I'm not detered because I know it can be done and one's success should be rooted in their own personal commitment (at least for me). To be fair though, I also hear on the board that others have had a phenomenal experience with their remote coaches so who knows. Just an FYI for whoever might sign up.
Thank you. That's very helpful!
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #12  
Re-started IP 9.7.11
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 2,589

Height: 5' 4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Also let them know average weight loss for women is 3 to 4 pounds a week and men see 4 to 7 pounds a week. In some of the IP literature it actually says women lose 2 to 4 pounds a week.
Hi, Carla,

I'm not contradicting what you say, because generally speaking it's accurate. But I think there are still a substantial number of people who, no matter how faithfully they follow the program, cannot achieve either 2 to 4 or 3 to 4. I've just finished week 16 with 25 pounds lost. Moreover, if one looks at the 20 pounds to . . . sites, it's obvious that many people are not losing 20 pounds in the 8-10 weeks of the challenge.

For those of us who persist, and there are many, we accept the lower number. But I would hate to see someone going into the I P Program with the assured assumption that they will lose more than they are capable of losing, no matter how strictly they follow the program -- with or without exercise.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #13  
Started IP 7/7/2010
Thread Starter
 
Marionm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 608

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Hi, Carla,

I'm not contradicting what you say, because generally speaking it's accurate. But I think there are still a substantial number of people who, no matter how faithfully they follow the program, cannot achieve either 2 to 4 or 3 to 4. I've just finished week 16 with 25 pounds lost. Moreover, if one looks at the 20 pounds to . . . sites, it's obvious that many people are not losing 20 pounds in the 8-10 weeks of the challenge.

For those of us who persist, and there are many, we accept the lower number. But I would hate to see someone going into the I P Program with the assured assumption that they will lose more than they are capable of losing, no matter how strictly they follow the program -- with or without exercise.
I decided not to give weight loss promises, but rather to provide the link to the company website where they can read and to share what my average is. It just seemed like a more neutral way to do it. I'm almost done writing, so I'll let you know when it is finished.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #14  
Started IP 7/7/2010
Thread Starter
 
Marionm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 608

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Default

Okay, I finally posted it on my blog. I had another request for details in my inbox this morning. That makes three this week. Because it is quite long and I included links and photos it will probably be better to see if you just click on the link to my blog below.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I hope I got the important points in anyway.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #15  
Member
 
msren10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 54

S/C/G: 190/143.5/140

Height: 5'5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Hi, Carla,

I'm not contradicting what you say, because generally speaking it's accurate. But I think there are still a substantial number of people who, no matter how faithfully they follow the program, cannot achieve either 2 to 4 or 3 to 4. I've just finished week 16 with 25 pounds lost. Moreover, if one looks at the 20 pounds to . . . sites, it's obvious that many people are not losing 20 pounds in the 8-10 weeks of the challenge.

For those of us who persist, and there are many, we accept the lower number. But I would hate to see someone going into the I P Program with the assured assumption that they will lose more than they are capable of losing, no matter how strictly they follow the program -- with or without exercise.
Interesting! Linden started under 200 lbs. Could it be that if you start under 200 lbs then you may not experience the 3+ lbs per week. Interested to hear feedback on this as this is the category I fall into and I am still setting my expectations here in my second week.
msren10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Is Your Favorite TV Commercial ? Sweetcaroline Lighten Up! 72 11-02-2008 01:15 AM
Pro-High Fructose Corn Syrup Commercial LindseyLouWho Weight Loss News and Current Events 25 09-17-2008 02:36 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:27 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.