Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 154/136/130 started IP 8/24/10

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcswain View Post
Just got back from my first WI. Lost 6.6 lbs and 3.5 inches measuring off of three different places. I am very happy about that
One for each pound that you lost! YAY! I'm so happy for you . Keep up the good work.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcswain View Post
Just got back from my first WI. Lost 6.6 lbs and 3.5 inches measuring off of three different places. I am very happy about that
YEAH!! Great 1st WI...keep up the great job!!
Old 10-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 186/131/140

Height: 5'4

Are you really not supposed to exercise during phase 1? My coach said no strenuous cardio or weights but that light exercise and weight lifting is fine. I don't want to mess anything up. What have your results been? Also, how do you know you are in ketosis? How many total carbs are you allowed per day and still be in ketosis? HELP. I've only been at this a week!!
Old 10-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 186/128/135 Started IP on 5/10

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygal View Post
Greetings! I'm bravely coming out of lurkdom to join in the fun, even though just perusing all the past posts and information could keep me busy for a very long time.

I've been following the IP protocol for 4 weeks, and have lost 16 lbs. and 12 inches. I'm a little frustrated that most of the inches are coming off my already thin bird legs instead of my belly! Any ideas for me?

Jay
Welcome! Glad you're joining us. Congrats on your loss (how many times do we get to say THAT)...? So, I had the opposite problem, with thin arms and upper body and the 'thunder thighs' as they say...my weight IS coming off my thighs, but just at the end. Weight loss usually follows the last on, first off rule as near as I can tell (and vice versa).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
Are you really not supposed to exercise during phase 1? My coach said no strenuous cardio or weights but that light exercise and weight lifting is fine. I don't want to mess anything up. What have your results been? Also, how do you know you are in ketosis? How many total carbs are you allowed per day and still be in ketosis? HELP. I've only been at this a week!!
You're supposed to be at 60 resting heart rate -- you should take a look at the Exercise thread on here -- it answers lots of questions. If you're following protocol, after about 4 days you're likely in ketosis. I didn't stress about it, but you could google the side effects if you're interested. Bad taste in your mouth, bad breath I know are two. I also didn't count carbs per day, but I think someone on here said about 30 net carbs (net is total carbs minus fiber). If you go a little over it won't throw you out of ketosis.

You'll do fine. My advice is to follow protocol and go through a lot of the threads and forum's here and read some of the past posts. There is a TON of info here, all of which I've found useful. I didn't stress about ketosis, carbs and lots of counting, I just followed the instructions and figured the rest would take care of itself. It did!

Good luck!

Ran my tail off with errands today, sitting on my couch resting before I have to go to a dinner tonight. I took a bunch of my old clothes to a consignment shop today, and of course left with something smaller for me too. Cute little Lacoste cashmere sweatter for about 30 bucks!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 215/158.3/145

Height: 5'8"

Following the plan, eating right, taking my supplements, but the pounds are refusing to budge On the up side, my husband has lost nearly 90 pounds and is looking GOOD!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalcrafter View Post
hi again! kudos to all of you! Great losses keep it up!!!!

Busy day at work..had a new client with thick curly hair, she loved the way I blew out her hair usuing my giant round brushes ( 4" 5" 6" boar bristles round).. She started talking about her weight.. ( what else do we hairdresser's hear about?) so I told her about IP, my journey on it, and she got so excited, I hope she tries it. I know she looked great when she left, but I knew she felt great too ( and hopeful)..

You know, we are all on this earth to help each other, REALLY. I admire Mother Theresa and what she did with her life. Each of us can bloom where we are planted and help those god has placed in our lives- ( the ones we like and the ones who test our patience)
Ok, that's all I have to say...
Tommorrow I pack for Fla!! yeah!!

angel blessings!
It was my hairdresser that got me started on this journey as well, and I am so grateful to her! I've been telling anyone who will listen about this diet. I'm that way about everything that I am excited about. I know so many who would benefit and perhaps they'll try when they see my success.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #52  
tcswain

S/C/G: Started IP 09/26/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookie View Post
One for each pound that you lost! YAY! I'm so happy for you . Keep up the good work.
Thank you, Bookie -- I am so excited to be off to a good start and thank everybody for the encouragement
Old 10-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/160

I just got in from a wonderful day in the yard - got most of my front yard flower beds cleaned up. The leaves are starting to fall from a big oak we have in the front but it was a beautiful day - sunny and about 21 degrees (that's about 70 for my friends south of the border).

I had the omelet for both breakfast AND lunch today - yummy, especially with added mushrooms. Can't remember if I mentioned that I discovered the WF chocolate sauce this week. I don't know how they do it (and I guess I don't want to know!) but man, is it good! I drizzle it on pudding and almost feel guilty.

Next week is gobble gobble weekend up here in Canada. I noticed that brussel sprouts aren't on the selected veggie list. I can't imagine why they wouldn't be okay, and I can't imagine Thanksgiving dinner without them. Anyone know if they are okay to have? Also, any ideas on something to make so that I don't miss the potatoes, stuffing and gravy as much would be much appreciated!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 201/147/155

Height: 5"9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Ummmm. Didn't your coach mention the perils of exercise? Just wondering.
He just said to walk every evening after eating supper, but nothing that would build muscle, no weights, resistance, etc. I walk for 40 mins. on the treadmill and balance myself on a big ball for 20 minutes ( commercial breaks)-his recommendation and yes, I do look like an idiot I have a friend that did this with him about 6 months ago and he is changing stuff on me (he told me to eat one restricted food a day-even in week 1) he said the protocal has changed. I wonder if he is not trying to extend the time that I have to go to pay him. I don't know. So what are the "Perils of exercise?" and should I not do it every night? Thank You.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 186/131/140

Height: 5'4

Ladies, I need some help with trying to eat every 3-4 hours. Everyday for me is long with three little kids. So, how do you all only eat 3 IP packets a day plus the dinner meal and still eat every 3-4 hours? Also, I eat dinner at 630 at night. How do I eat my IP snack by 8pm? Your advice is appreciated!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #56  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
Ladies, I need some help with trying to eat every 3-4 hours. Everyday for me is long with three little kids. So, how do you all only eat 3 IP packets a day plus the dinner meal and still eat every 3-4 hours? Also, I eat dinner at 630 at night. How do I eat my IP snack by 8pm? Your advice is appreciated!!!
I ended up switching my meat meal to lunch because I just wasn't hungry that last packet at night and it has worked much better for me. Sometimes I'm a little late on the last one because I'm often out dancing until 10 PM and I need something to keep me going.

We had our Autumn Showcase at our dance studio this afternoon and so, I just updated my progress photos with a picture of me in THE DRESS and you get to see my husband of 26 years too. He cleans up pretty well! The link is in my signature.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #57  
started IP 09/23/10

S/C/G: 165/157.4/130

Height: 5 ft 4.5 in

Default Exercise: To do or not to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeysend View Post
NCgirlie You have found the best Eating Program and the very best support forum!!! You have done great the 1st week!! Hmmm about the exercise...any coach I know advises NO EXERCISE for the 1st and 2nd phases
Thanks Journeysend! I'm a little worried about next week's WI b/c I did so good this time. But, at least the scale is moving in the right direction!

[QUOTE=I'm svelting!;3505411] NCgirlie ! I was going to refer you to the week 1 introductory package but ... I just checked my introductory package of information and oddly, there is no mention about exercise. Nor is there a prohibition against exercise in Tran's book Chapter 15 discusses exercise, but to my eye, it seems more about the benefits of moving your body in maintenance.

There are members and former members who have exercised throughout their Phase 1 & 2. One woman was walking an hour a day; another started/continued strength training and cardio with a personal trainer.

What exactly have you been doing as exercise? Post that in the exercise thread, here. If it's intense and high-calorie burning, you'll definitely need to increase your water intake and probably your food intake. Phase 1 gives you 800 -900 calories per day and intense exercise can shut down ketosis, the fat-burning process that IP is designed to stimulate. What did your coach say when you gave him/her the specifics of your workout?

Hi svelting! You know, my coach didn't mention exercise one way or the other at our initial meeting. He gave me a food journal to keep throughout the week. One of the boxes on there was for exercise. So, last week, I did the elliptical for 20 minutes. And I did Jillian Michael's Shred DVD (cardio sculpt). So, at my WI, I specifically asked about exercise. He said it's always good to incorporate exercise.....never told me not to. I just read ALL of the exercise posts.....still confused, but am thinking it's okay to do some as long as I watch my heart rate. Hoping this works and I don't get frustrated and throw in the towel. Thanks for your help!
Old 10-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirlie View Post
Hi svelting! You know, my coach didn't mention exercise one way or the other at our initial meeting. He gave me a food journal to keep throughout the week. One of the boxes on there was for exercise. So, last week, I did the elliptical for 20 minutes. And I did Jillian Michael's Shred DVD (cardio sculpt). So, at my WI, I specifically asked about exercise. He said it's always good to incorporate exercise.....never told me not to. I just read ALL of the exercise posts.....still confused, but am thinking it's okay to do some as long as I watch my heart rate. Hoping this works and I don't get frustrated and throw in the towel. Thanks for your help!
Hi NCgirlie!.. where in NC do you live?.. I lived in Goldsboro many, many years ago... I was married to an Air Force man at the time... I loved it there, not sure why I've never gone back... maybe I will someday...

Exercise is a hard thing for one person to determine for somebody else... some (most?) do fine without any, but I haven't been one of those... I trained hard from the very beginning because I was trying to get in shape by the end of August for a weekend of working on the Continental Divide Trail in Colorado, & that was my priority... I followed IP protocol (almost) perfectly & that put the icing on the cake (the no-sugar kind ).. the pounds just melted off... since I stopped working out quite as intensely, the weight loss seems to have slowed... but that's just ME... one size doesn't fit all... the best advice I can give about exercise is, listen to your own body, only you can know for sure what's working & what's not...

Welcome to the best forum in cyberspace... glad you found us...

hugs

Last edited by Aunt Sheshie; 10-02-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #59  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarice41 View Post
He just said to walk every evening after eating supper, but nothing that would build muscle, no weights, resistance, etc. I walk for 40 mins. on the treadmill and balance myself on a big ball for 20 minutes ( commercial breaks)-his recommendation and yes, I do look like an idiot I have a friend that did this with him about 6 months ago and he is changing stuff on me (he told me to eat one restricted food a day-even in week 1) he said the protocal has changed. I wonder if he is not trying to extend the time that I have to go to pay him. I don't know. So what are the "Perils of exercise?" and should I not do it every night? Thank You.
Well, to be honest, "perils of exercise" is a pure fabrication right out of the middle of my forehead and not built into the rhetoric of the IP protocol.

And it should be pretty obvious, from reading above (or below depending on which way you read) and from reading in the exercise thread, that lots of people have been told lots of different stuff.

Here's what I was told. No exercise the first two weeks. You might be too tired at first, anyway, as you get rid of toxins. More importantly, you want ketosis to get really well established. After that nothing that gets you to more than 50-60% of maximum heart rate until Phase 3.

Did I sufficiently camouflage the fact that I don't know the answer? I'm listening to "Car Talk" and it has seriously influenced my style.

Last edited by Linden; 10-03-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 182/146/130

Height: 5'3"

Well I guess Saturdays are my new weigh in days because they are the only day when I have any time anymore. lol. So down another 2 lbs. I guess thats just me 2 lb Pegsi! Now I go back to the start and read everyone elses successes and stories!
Closed Thread