Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #16  
Spoyldrotn Mama

S/C/G: 174/148/124

Height: 5'1"

Talking I never would have known

First post, but I've been lurking for 8 weeks now. Down 26 lbs and 9 sizes! The funniest thing happened the other day and I thought I'd share. I was trying to move a bookshelf at work and thought I'd hurt my shoulder. Every time I moved my arm up it radiated pain. This went on for about 2-3 weeks. Since my bones are now showing, I figured out the problem. I broke my collar bone! Never would have known it if it wasn't for IP. Started wearing a brace and all is good now. The things you discover on this diet. ROFL.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #17  
Second time around

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/155

Height: 5'5"

marionm....I'm from a small town called Wapello in the very southeastern part of the state. I got the name I use on here because two of my kids graduated from the Univeristy of Iowa. Always a hawkeye here!

I'm taking this diet hour by hour here on out. Got to! Everyone says it gets easier to stay on it after the first two weeks or so. No more cheats for me!

Everyones advice and encouragement is wonderful! Keep it coming! I also started a journal so I can go back and read my thoughts and keep myself committed to this new lifestyle
Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 202/165/150

!!NSV!!!

This weekend I hit up the "extra 50%" off sale at Dillards. Well, I'm the proud owner of 2 bikinis. Yeah, you read that correctly, bikinis. My first bikinis ever in fact. I bought them early for my honeymoon in December. I've got one hanging on my refrigerator and one in my bathroom above the scale. Just a little motivation. The great thing about it is, I'm actually happy with the way I look in them. I know I've still got a little bit to lose before goal, but I'm so ecstatic with my progress! I <3 IP!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #19  
Nichole

That's awesome, Spoyldrotn, although the broken collar bone sounds painful! Glad you decided to come out lurkdom and join us.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #20  

Hi Everyone! I started IP last week and I love it! The first week I lost 6lbs!!! Im upset though because with the holiday weekend it was a little hard not to cheat. On saturday I had a few pita chips and half a can of soda. On Sunday I ate a few pretzels and some chips and guacamole.... do you think I will gain everything back? Will I be able to lose this week!??!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoangel View Post
Ok!!!! Week 1 in the books......drumroll please............unofficially 7 lbs!!!!!! WoooHoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wyoangel 7lbs gone...AWESOME!!! Keep up the great work
Old 09-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 324.4/277.6/180

Height: 5'6"

Got back on the wagon and had an awesome weekend! stayed on track and hope to stay that way until the honeymoon (hope to lose another 15 lbs by then too I finally got my ticker!! I hope this works! Excited for the halloween challenge, and challenge it will be Honeymoon starts Sept 26!!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeyemom View Post
marionm....I'm from a small town called Wapello in the very southeastern part of the state. I got the name I use on here because two of my kids graduated from the Univeristy of Iowa. Always a hawkeye here!

I'm taking this diet hour by hour here on out. Got to! Everyone says it gets easier to stay on it after the first two weeks or so. No more cheats for me!

Everyones advice and encouragement is wonderful! Keep it coming! I also started a journal so I can go back and read my thoughts and keep myself committed to this new lifestyle
iowahawkeyemom Good for you!! I love that you are doing a journal, it can be very interesting and informative to go back and read. Keep up the great work...It can be hour by hour sometimes for me toobut as long as we stay on protocol IP works!!!! have a great day..Gaile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon 2 B MrsT View Post
!!NSV!!!

This weekend I hit up the "extra 50%" off sale at Dillards. Well, I'm the proud owner of 2 bikinis. Yeah, you read that correctly, bikinis. My first bikinis ever in fact. I bought them early for my honeymoon in December. I've got one hanging on my refrigerator and one in my bathroom above the scale. Just a little motivation. The great thing about it is, I'm actually happy with the way I look in them. I know I've still got a little bit to lose before goal, but I'm so ecstatic with my progress! I <3 IP!
Soon 2 B MrsT What a great NSV!!! You will look fantastic on you honeymoon!! Gaile
Old 09-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelaughlove1981 View Post
Got back on the wagon and had an awesome weekend! stayed on track and hope to stay that way until the honeymoon (hope to lose another 15 lbs by then too I finally got my ticker!! I hope this works! Excited for the halloween challenge, and challenge it will be Honeymoon starts Sept 26!!

20lbs halloween challenge
livelaughlove1981 You will do it!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #25  
:)

S/C/G: 222/195/135

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy The results are in...

For those of you who know what the blood work results are supposed to look like, please take a look: Thanks

https://docs.google.com/document/edi...thkey=CK3TlpAO
Old 09-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #26  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
For those of you who know what the blood work results are supposed to look like, please take a look: Thanks

https://docs.google.com/document/edi...thkey=CK3TlpAO
Well it says your HDL is low, which is the good cholesterol... sounds like you need more fish oil, omega 3, avocado or something like it.

The rest I can't tell. I would just watch what proteins (other than IP products) you are consuming. Stick to white meat instead of red, or preferably fish even

Found this online:
HDL cholesterol, or "good" cholesterol, appears to scour the walls of blood vessels, cleaning out excess cholesterol. It then carries that excess cholesterol -- which otherwise might have been used to make the "plaques" that cause coronary artery disease -- back to the liver for processing. So when we measure a person's HDL cholesterol level, we seem to be measuring how vigorously his or her blood vessels are being "scrubbed" free of cholesterol.

HDL levels below 40 mg/dL result in an increased risk of coronary atery disease, even in people whose total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels are normal. HDL levels between 40 and 60 mg/dL are considered "normal." However, HDL levels greater than 60 mg/dL may actually protect people from heart disease. Indeed, for several years, doctors have known that when it comes to HDL levels, the higher the better.

How can We Increase Our HDL Levels?
  • Aerobic exercise. Many people don't like to hear it, but regular aerobic exercise (any exercise, such as walking, jogging or bike riding, that raises your heart rate for 20 to 30 minutes at a time) may be the most effective way to increase HDL levels. Recent evidence suggests that the duration of exercise, rather than the intensity, is the more important factor in raising HDL choleserol. But any aerobic exercise helps.
  • Lose weight. Obesity results not only in increased LDL cholesterol, but also in reduced HDL cholesterol. If you are overweight, reducing your weight should increase your HDL levels. This is especially important if your excess weight is stored in your abdominal area; your waist-to-hip ratio is particularly important in determining whether you ought to concentrate on weight loss.
  • Stop smoking. If you smoke, giving up tobacco will result in an increase in HDL levels. (This is the only advantage I can think of that smokers have over non-smokers -- it gives them something else to do that will raise their HDL.)
  • Cut out the trans fatty acids. Trans fatty acids are currently present in many of your favorite prepared foods -- anything in which the nutrition label reads "partially hydrogenated vegetable oils" -- so eliminating them from the diet is not a trivial task. But trans fatty acids not only increase LDL cholesterol levels, they also reduce HDL cholesterol levels. Removing them from your diet will almost certainly result in a measurable increase in HDL levels. Click here for a quick and easy review of trans fatty acids and the heart.
  • Alcohol. With apologies to the American Heart Association, which discourages doctors from telling their patients about the advantages of alcohol: one or two drinks per day can significantly increase HDL levels. More than one or two drinks per day, one hastens to add, can lead to substantial health problems including heart failure -- and there are individuals who will develop such problems even when limiting their alcohol intake to one or two drinks per day. Click here for a quick and easy review of alcohol and the heart.
  • Increase the monounsaturated fats in your diet. Monounsaturated fats such as canola oil, avocado oil, or olive oil and in the fats found in peanut butter can increase HDL cholesterol levels without increasing the total cholesterol.
  • Add soluble fiber to your diet. Soluble fibers are found in oats, fruits, vegetables, and legumes, and result in both a reduction in LDL cholesterol and an increase HDL cholesterol. For best results, at least two servings a day should be used.
  • Other dietary means to increasing HDL. Cranberry juice has been shown to increase HDL levels. Fish and other foods containing omega-3 fatty acids can also increase HDL levels. In postmenopausal women (but not, apparently, in men or pre-menopausal women) calcium supplementation can increase HDL levels.

Last edited by deinekatze; 09-07-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #27  
Goodbye Forever, 300's!

S/C/G: 355/282/200

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeyemom View Post

Hey, I'm in New London, originally from Mepo. What clinic do you use?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #28  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Quote:
HDL goes down on this diet, but comes back after you finish. That is what the IP Doc/nutritionist told me, and indeed, that's exactly what happened. Within 2 months after I completed the program, all the other cholesterol levels stayed down (even without meds), and my HDL level was back up.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #29  
Second time around

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWayForGood View Post
Hey, I'm in New London, originally from Mepo. What clinic do you use?
I use the one in Burlington. How about you? I have a friend who uses the one in Mt Pleasant.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #30  

Default about HDL

Quote:
[my] blood work results
Quote:
Originally Posted by deinekatze View Post
Well it says your HDL is low, which is the good cholesterol... sounds like you need more fish oil, omega 3, avocado or something like it.

How can We Increase Our HDL Levels?
From a cardiologist who uses nutritional approaches before or in addition to conventional approaches: Cutting carbs will increase HDL
Quote:
Increased HDL--The HDL-increasing effect of carbohydrate reduction may require 1-2 years. In fact, in the first 2 months, HDL will drop, only to be followed by a slow, gradual increase. This is the reason why, in a number of low-carb diet studies, HDL was shown to be reduced.--Had the timeline been longer, HDL would show a significant increase.
From the same site: Vitamin D and HDL

Melissa: I don't see anything in the results other than the 3.7 TSH that could be a contributor to your slowed weight loss. That level is, as you know , in the controversial range for hypothyroid treatment.

I have collected names of information sources for future reference because there are hypothyroid issues on both sides of my family tree. There are some good resources (books and websites) available now for non-medical audiences. I sent you one by PM and I'll try to remember to post the names and titles later. If I forget, NAG me!

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 09-07-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Closed Thread