3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Daily Chat - Sunday 8/29/2010 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/211209-ip-daily-chat-sunday-8-29-2010-a.html)

I'm svelting! 08-29-2010 08:56 AM

IP Daily Chat - Sunday 8/29/2010

Introduce yourself and post your questions here. We'll try to point you to good answers!

Happy Sunday!

Link to all the Mountain-Pacific goodness from yesterday's thread
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...28-2010-a.html
Posts summarized below start at post 81, 9:39 EDT.

Just give me the highlights? Here you go:
- tech questions about slow loading, and elle12 posted an answer that seems to work for some
Quote:

Originally Posted by elle12 (Post 3456924)
I just found that if I hit the red X (Stop Esc) button by the refresh arrow (F5) key at the top of my browser (after clicking on a forum topic link) it takes me right into the page instantly.

- a couple of new IPrs joined us: :welcome3:
- candace5 has lost 15 lbs since starting on Aug. 13
- MotherDuckMJ was on her first day and feeling low energy
- iowahockeymom posted again --2nd time -- with a food dream/nightmare
- salesgod,RockyMonarch,amylew,Stacey41,JourneysEnd gave warm welcomes and good advice
- pumpkyparry posted an interesting packet hack with vanilla pudding
- MORE from the bra-bandinistas "all cup and no band" chat, including a question about itchy skin
- some occasional or recently lurking posters popped in: Cinders34, lldutton, rosemary2612 and petiteandcute
- our own literata, Linden, shared a quote from (one of) her current reads

Midlife Meggie 08-29-2010 09:03 AM

I read somewhere on this board that somebody cooked their egg in a cup in the microwave to make it fit the English muffin perfectly (I am of similar OCD tendencies). HOWEVER, when I tried this, piercing the yolk carefully with a knife first, the egg STILL exploded. I'd put a paper towel on top of the cup and it was blown clear off. Put the egg on for 2 minutes on high and it exploded after 30 seconds. Mess mess mess. What did I do wrong?

I'm svelting! 08-29-2010 09:17 AM

Useful (we hope!) links and tips!

Here are some tips and links we've found useful.

Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page

Click the link below to see all the "sticky threads" that contain frequently
used and requested information. They're at the top; topics include: Tips for
Newbies, FAQ, Travel Tips, Recipes. Below that are almost (?) all the discussions on 3fatchicks about Ideal Protein. It's a rich archive with lots of really great information.

Bookmark it! Make it a Favorite!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/

3FATCHICKS Forum Technical Stuff
Tickers and signatures:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/anno...questions.html

For other "How do I do ..... on this forum" questions:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/anno...forum-help-40/

Search
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using Google. I posted a screen shot and an explanation here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3450651-post42.html

Other helpful links
Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's website
http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19

Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's book, The Unbalanced Diet Approach to a Slimmer You Clicking the link will open a PDF file.
http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/IMG...re_Dr_Tran.pdf

Please let me know if you want me to edit this post to add any other links!

Kelsey 08-29-2010 09:17 AM

Hair Loss (cont. from Saturday)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacqueline (Post 3457059)
Hi All,

Kelsey, I'm sorry your week was so tough. I've been thinking about what you and others have said about hair loss:

I have two ideas--one is about B vitamins. I know we take special supplements, but when she reviewed my supplements and saw I was already taking a B complex formula, my coach did not suggest I stop it, so I am continuing it in addition to the other stuff. I think this may be significant as B vitamin shots are one of the staples of the Bernstein diet which is very similar nutritionally to IP.

My other thought was about low thyroid, which I have been thinking about a lot lately, especially since the posting on Tuesday, Aug 24 by Siouxzy7,

Hair loss is one of the symptoms of a slow thyroid, as is being cold all the time, thinning of the eyebrows, weight gain, tiredness, depression, and a lot of other things. Sometimes it doesn't show up on blood test results until it's really serious, so slow thyroid can go unnoticed by doctors--this happened to my mom and a work colleague.

Also, in addition to the soy issue, it should be noted that our thyroid glands are dependent on iodine and the Great Lakes Basin has NO natural iodine in the soil. So for those living in this area, both in the US and Canada, since we've stopped using table salt, which has iodine added to it for this reason, we may be iodine deficient because there is no iodine in sea salt.

I was concerned about this before IP, because I have been using sea salt for years and noticed my eyebrows sort of disappearing. I have been supplementing with ground kelp (seaweed) for the iodine for several months and my eyebrows have filled in nicely!:)

Just a thought.

Jackie

Okay, so I read this and reread this. I have to try something to figure this out. Perhaps I should cut out soy like Linden (my Linny) did??? I remember Elizabeth and Carla discussing Nioxin many months ago, so yesterday I purchased those products. I'm also thinking of adding a supplement, does anyone have suggestions for that? It seems I remember someone discussing supplements for the hair loss problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastalcrafter (Post 3457142)
Kelsey wrote-
"On a side note: I'm losing hair by the handfuls, so I will be bald by the time I'm thin, but hey, Carla says it grows back. I'm counting on it! Thank you all for being here, and sharing your stories. I believe if it weren't this board many of us would not have made it as far as we have, and many of us would not continue."

Being in the hair profession I just want to share your supposed to lose 80-100 hairs per day normally. Hair replaces itself every 2-4 years.. The hair you have now will not be the same hair you will have in 4 years..If you have a large intake of Vit A daily you can lose your hair (this can be reversed if the Vit A is decreased and an increase of Vit B Complex) Also could be low thyroid levels...When I was losing more hair than I should, it WAS my thyroid.

Rough week here too Kelsey, glad it's over..I cheated too,(once so far) back on track Today.. weigh in monday!

:hug: hope your week gets better. I have always had thin fine hair. I'd even say I lose easily the amount you quoted. However, this is way worse then that. My DH asked, "what's going on with your hair, there's so much more in the shower now and on your back" (my clothes are always covered). SO, it's bad. He went with me to buy Nioxin products. I hope they help, but this whole slow thryroid issue sounds like me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HopefulTricia (Post 3457168)
Melissa - I am with you on the too slow process-- I changed my goals just like you.Went to 2 lb a week rather than 3 and haven't met the 2 lbs now either! So I like your idea of just moving forward and expecting the weight will disappear. Maybe not rapidly-- but it will disappear because we just keep staying on plan. There's comfort knowing we are not alone...

You and I are never alone! We have all of our IP chicks!!! :hug: :grouphug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm svelting! (Post 3457178)
I was able to pick up Siouxzy7's post. I'll put it in a thread that has thyroid in the title as well (if I can). To see the full post, click the blue arrow icon next to Sioxzy7's name.

Thank you so much for finding this! I went and read the article. I am going to make an appointment to have my thyroid checked. It's been a couple of years. Either way I think I'm going to try to nix the soy for couple of weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyoSun (Post 3457234)
kelsey, I have had a rough time lately. I am so close to goal. I don't know if I'm worried about going on to phase 2 or 3, worried I will gain weight back, worried that i will go back to my old eating habits....I just don't know, but I seem to sabatoge my weight loss periodically. I am on track now and determined to be done in 4 more weeks(ready to go to phase 2). I wish we lived closer....would love to walk and talk with you. Love you all.

Me too! I wish that we could walk and talk. I feel like we're old friends! :hug: You are going to do great by the way. As our friends who have all moved on have shown us, you WILL NOT gain your weight back. You're too well educated now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by candace5 (Post 3457311)
HI there!

I am brand new to this board and am soooo happy to have found it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherDuckMJ (Post 3457328)
Hello all. This is my first day on IP.
MJ

Candace & MJ :wel3fc: :welcome: You'll love it here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessicaCourez (Post 3457486)
I swear...my boobs must be shrinking because they are itching like crazy...

Does ITCHING = SHRINKING???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linden (Post 3457547)
Come, now. It was an open invitation. And you all better get here before I lose the weight I want to because when I do I'm off to Berlin.

Should give you a pretty wide window of opportunity. Sigh.

If I don't make it in time I will follow you to Berlin! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosemary2612 (Post 3457584)
Some poeple on IP lose pretty regular with 2, 3, or even four pounds a week.

Sounds like you're doing great! Keep up the good work.

loves2swim 08-29-2010 09:24 AM

Kelsey, just noticed you and I both started at the same weight. Can't wait to get where you are. http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1770/smileyhersh.gif

Kelsey 08-29-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loves2swim (Post 3457666)
Kelsey, just noticed you and I both started at the same weight. Can't wait to get where you are. http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1770/smileyhersh.gif

It's hard to imagine, but it happens so quickly (and I'm a member, if not the president, of the "Slow Losers Club" :) Just stick with the plan if you want to do great.

gibster 08-29-2010 09:32 AM

Good Morning, all!

I'm svelting - Thanks for the wonderful synopsis! I love it!

I'm sitting here drinking my coffee and my breakfast soup. I can't take anything sweet in the morning, so the IP soups are my meals of choice. Very satisfying! It looks like another beautiful day today - I may even go for a walk!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelleyAnn (Post 3457133)
I had an exciting day today. I pulled out my pile of "skinny" pants to try them on, finally pretty confident they would fit (I've been on IP 6 weeks today) and they were all too big!:carrot:

12's are too big, 10's are too big, 8's maybe?:) I don't have a single 8 in the house so I can't be sure. In fact, I do not have a single pair of pants in the house that do fit.:goodvibes

At my last weigh in a week ago my body fat was down from 36% to 28%.
My belly measure at my belly button (which shouldn't be over 35 for heart health) went from 36.5 inches to 32 inches!
My BMI went from 27 to 23.4!

In 6 weeks I have taken myself out of risk categories for heart disease and diabetes and stroke.

I was so unsure about being able to "do" this diet, I didn't even take a before picture. According to my home scale I am 5 lbs away from my goal today and really can hardly believe I'm here!

It has taken some "mental toughness" to get here, but it has been so worth it.

Kelley

Kelley - What a great, inspirational post! Congrats!

Quote:

Originally Posted by amylew (Post 3457292)
I'm using Firefox 3.6 and I've had no problems at all with the site. I'm on cable, and I have my preferences set so that I see avatars, signatures and images, and I have it set to 40 per page.

For what it's worth, I use Google Chrome and don't have a problem either. I had problems a couple of years ago with forums of this type using IE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by candace5 (Post 3457311)
HI there!

I am brand new to this board and am soooo happy to have found it! I started IP on August 13 and as of this morning, I am down 14 lbs!:carrot: I am not using any restricted items, mostly just eating pudding and the veggies and meat... I have still hopefully 102 more lbs to lose to reach my goal of 125 lbs.

Thank you for being here and I am excited to get to know you all in our health and fitness journey .. Any tips or success stories I would SO love to hear to keep me going!

Talk soon!

Candace - Welcome! I started on Aug 18. This forum has been extremely helpful - and motivating!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherDuckMJ (Post 3457328)
Hello all. This is my first day on IP. It has been very hard for me and I'm feeling a tad sorry for myself. I guess it's mostely hard because I have such a large family and they are all eating things I can't have. The smells and site of the foods are not fun for me.

I took this on as I know it is time for drastic change. I'm 44, I weigh 316 pounds, and have never weighed this much in my life. I feel like sleeping all the time. I want to feel good again and have energy. I'm hoping this will do that for me. I'm hoping my attitude will change once I kick into ketosis in a couple days. Until then I told my husband I'm just going to allow my body to rest and take care of myself. Would appreciate any ideas on how to deal with the mental part of this diet. It's great to see those of you on here who have been so successful! I hope and pray that for myself.

Thanks,
MJ

MJ - Welcome! I'm on Day 11 of IP, and I can tell you that Days 3 thru 6 (for me) were the worst. I felt tired, headachey, a bit light-headed at times. Just make sure you drink lots of water, follow the plan, and, if you're tired, take a nap or go to bed early. Heck, I was in bed by 9 PM on those days! But the fog lifted by Day 7 or 8, and I feel great! You will, too. :D

Kelsey 08-29-2010 09:35 AM

NO SOY? Then what???

Okay, so I was so excited to go into the kitchen and start packing away all of the items with SOY in them. However, when it was all said and done I had packed away EVERYTHING! My RTD drinks, hot chocolate packets, bars, crunchy packets etc. What now? :?:

Does anyone have Linden's phone number? ;) I know it's the middle of the night in Hawaii, but I need to call her and find out what she's eating that doesn't include soy.
:dizzy:

I'm svelting! 08-29-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelsey (Post 3457677)
Okay, so I was so excited to go into the kitchen and start packing away all of the items with SOY in them. However, when it was all said and done I had packed away EVERYTHING! My RTD drinks, hot chocolate packets, bars, crunchy packets etc. What now? :?: :dizzy:

Just did a quick scan of the ingredients listing that Jordanna and Ogdog worked on. There's a lot of soy! Seemed like even some of the drinks (pina colada) had soy as an ingredient. Hmm, maybe we could add columns to the IP product spreadsheet for "contains soy" and "contains acesulfame K."

Coastalcrafter 08-29-2010 09:44 AM

Good morning! A new week.. : ) welcome newbies! Congrats on ALL the losses !!

Just a thought ...I was thinking of scheduling my weigh ins every other week, there's more support and info on this board than I get at our IP store. Yes I call it a store where they sell IP products, and weigh you, it's not a clinic, there are no medical people there.

any suggestions?

brendaleeg 08-29-2010 10:26 AM

Good morning and Happy Sunday to all!! Cleaned out my closet yesterday.....a 3 hour ordeal but it is done. Only on IP for shy of 2 weeks and already having to get rid of the size 14's and 12's. The 10's are comfy and looking forward to the 8's!!! The worst thing is, so many of the clothing item I cleared out were brand new.......tags and all!! Oh well, guess it is consignment stores and so forth for me. Who can afford new clothes???
Welcome to all the new comers, you are worth every moment and you are stronger than you have let yourself think you are!! Realizing that we are worthy of loving OURSELVES for who we are not what we look like or what we weigh is so very important. Go to the mirror smile at yourself and know you are worth every moment on the program because you are WORTH IT!!!

deinekatze 08-29-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelsey (Post 3457677)
Okay, so I was so excited to go into the kitchen and start packing away all of the items with SOY in them. However, when it was all said and done I had packed away EVERYTHING! My RTD drinks, hot chocolate packets, bars, crunchy packets etc. What now? :?:

Does anyone have Linden's phone number? ;) I know it's the middle of the night in Hawaii, but I need to call her and find out what she's eating that doesn't include soy.
:dizzy:

I avoid soy like the plague too because of the Estrogen deal. Just try to avoid it if possible. Some things you can't completely get away from I guess. The lindora ready to drink shakes I have in front of me do not have soy, the EAS advantEDGE shakes have a protein blend that includes but is not limited to Soy, so I'm not too bothered by that, IP packets I have are also soy free...

Coastalcrafter 08-29-2010 11:22 AM

I found this online-

To calculate how long it will take to reach a weight goal starting from a given weight, on a diet that restricts the calories you eat to some number fewer than you burn every day, first subtract the weight goal from the starting weight to get the number of pounds you need to lose. Multiplying by 3500 obtains the total number of calories you need to burn from fat to reduce your weight by the desired amount. Now divide by the daily calorie shortfall anticipated in your diet plan. The result will be the number of days it should take to lose the weight. You can divide the number of days by 7 to get weeks, or by 30 for time in months.

mommajen88 08-29-2010 11:47 AM

Hi Everyone!

Just catching up on the boards. Congrats on all the losses and welcome to the newcomers. My heart goes out those of you that had a rough week. :hug: There are ups & downs with IP and life, of course. I view it as another opportunity to grow and change my old behaviours around stress, negative emotions, adversity and the like. You women are so strong, I have no doubt you will overcome any obstacles in your way!

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendaleeg (Post 3457724)
Cleaned out my closet yesterday.....a 3 hour ordeal but it is done. Only on IP for shy of 2 weeks and already having to get rid of the size 14's and 12's. The 10's are comfy and looking forward to the 8's!!! The worst thing is, so many of the clothing item I cleared out were brand new.......tags and all!! Oh well, guess it is consignment stores and so forth for me. Who can afford new clothes???

Hey Brenda. Congrats on your amazing progress.Closet cleaning has been my favorite part of IP! I am constantly weeding out my closet. I have very little left and I am fantasizing about the gigantic shopping spree I will be going on in the near future. Yippeee!

Sweetstina 08-29-2010 11:49 AM

Yikes! All this debate about soy and I've just found out about yummy soy nuts. I've been adding some (less than 1/4 cup) to my salads for the crunch and eating a handful here and there for a snack. No negative side effects that I can see so far, but I will be on the lookout.

Glad to see all the newbies and all the losses! It's always so inspiring to come on this forum and see all the positive changes that everyone is making. Enjoy your Sunday! :)