Old 08-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #1  
Siouxzy

S/C/G: 179/168/150

Height: 5'5''

Default Lactose Intolerant at the end of IP?

Hi everyone! A neighbor told me that several years back, a prestigiuos doctor told her to go on a no carb/no sugar diet (for some health reason I can't recall). After being on it for a couple of months (and losing a ton of weight), they casually mentioned that after doing so, she will be lactose intolerant. Does anyone know if this is true for IP followers??
I'm already intolerant to some dairy...milk, yogurt, soft-serve ice cream. Cheese and sour cream don't usually bother me. I made tacos one night (instead of a shell I put the meat in a large leaf of iceberg lettuce) and I made the seasoning a little too spicy. I put about two teaspoons of sour cream on my last one to offset the spiciness. The next day, I had a bit of diarrhea. That kind of freaked me out! Will our systems not be able to handle dairy anymore?
Another question - are we not allowed dairy because of the natural sugars? Sour cream is 0 sugar and 0 carbs so I don't really get why it wouldn't be allowed?!?
Siouxzy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxzy7 View Post
Hi everyone! A neighbor told me that several years back, a prestigiuos doctor told her to go on a no carb/no sugar diet (for some health reason I can't recall). After being on it for a couple of months (and losing a ton of weight), they casually mentioned that after doing so, she will be lactose intolerant. Does anyone know if this is true for IP followers??
I'm already intolerant to some dairy...milk, yogurt, soft-serve ice cream. Cheese and sour cream don't usually bother me. I made tacos one night (instead of a shell I put the meat in a large leaf of iceberg lettuce) and I made the seasoning a little too spicy. I put about two teaspoons of sour cream on my last one to offset the spiciness. The next day, I had a bit of diarrhea. That kind of freaked me out! Will our systems not be able to handle dairy anymore?
Another question - are we not allowed dairy because of the natural sugars? Sour cream is 0 sugar and 0 carbs so I don't really get why it wouldn't be allowed?!?
I haven't heard of this. I would assume any intolerance you had prior to IP might still exist depending on its cause. Lactose intolerance is caused by reduced or absent activity of lactase that prevents the splitting of lactose (lactase deficiency). Based on information from medicinenet.com, "Lactase deficiency may occur for one of three reasons, congenital, secondary -is due to diseases that destroy the lining of the small intestine along with the lactase, or developmental - a decrease in the amount of lactase that occurs after childhood and persists into adulthood, referred to as adult-type hypolactasia. This decrease is genetically programmed, and the prevalence of this type of lactase deficiency among different ethnic groups is highly variable. "

We don't get the sour cream, not because of sugars, but because or fat is being controlled to help with parts of the diet like organ/tissue health and cellulite improvement. Also, the diet is designed to be alkaline and most animal based products leave behind an acid ash as they breakdown. Milk products are of course animal oriented and fats from animals are definitely acid ash oriented.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #3  
Siouxzy

S/C/G: 179/168/150

Height: 5'5''

Thanks for your response! I have to admit, it's all a little confusing. I also have to admit that, yesterday I ate a small piece of cheddar cheese. Probably about half an ounce. Later on I had a bit of gas! Not pleasant!

This diet has me worried about this. I don't want to have to stay away from dairy for the rest of my life! I also hope that my metabolism hasn't tanked. I understand it's not supposed to, but I'm still worried.

I'm just starting my 4th week today. I'm already thinking about how much I miss regular food! I want to lose 15 more pounds, not sure if I can keep doing this for that long!!!

Siouxzy7 is offline   Reply With Quote