Old 08-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #16  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

I hear ya salesgod. You are pretty rock solid and just being honest. Maybe you could switch up your lunch/dinners to have your packet at dinner and a more fulfilling lunch that might entertain you more?

Or do a sort of iron chef IP and make some random recipes and post them? I know you are creative in the kitchen, but really there is only so much you can do with the limited food list. Or maybe have an ethnic week or something? Mexican, Japanese, South American...whatever. Think up fun exotic recipes using those spice blends or something. I don't know, just something different.
xanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #17  
Dave - The Speedo King

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I got a lot of good ideas. Here's what I think I'm going to do, after going to my WI and talking it over with my coach, and ultimately my doctor. (I'm not sure how it works for the rest of you, but I do IP through my doctor's office. It's nice because if my coach needs an additional point of view, or I have an interesting question, she can always consult with my doc).

So I told my coach that I have some events coming in September that will pull me out of ketosis. And I mentioned that I'm just bored with the routine. She didn't seem too surprised by the boredom, but reinforced that I'm doing really well with IP. She feels like I've hung in well because I have been so creative. We discussed how I really don't have that much more to go, and we discussed going off protocol in September. At that point, she consulted with the doctor, and his advice was to stick with Phase 1 until my events in September. When those events arrive, he advised me to cheat and then get back on the protocol and finish the course. This was the perfect advice for me.

I know opinions about this advice will vary, and that some will think it's dangerous to come out of phase 1 cold turkey. And I know that different coaches/doctors will give different advice. Rather than discuss those points, however, I want to explain why I think this was perfect advice for my situation.

It's simple really. It accomplishes two things. First, it allows me to not stress about the events in September (I'm stressed enough, because I'm heavily involved in some of the planning), and also allows me to look forward to a legitimate cheat. Second, because of the timing of the events in September, I'll actually be off protocol for about 6 days. The doc's advice was to cheat and get it out of my system. Try to avoid carbs and fats together. Don't go overboard. Make smart choices, but don't try to stick to Phase 4 protocol or anything. I'm hoping to use it as an opportunity to eat and learn based on what I've learned from being on IP. Ultimately, this helps with the boredom because I now have a clear game plan, which helps me to see with greater perspective that goes beyond the daily routine that has become a rut.

By staying on phase 1 between now and my events in September, I'll likely drop another 20 lbs., which means that when I get back to Phase 1 after they're over, I'll be within striking distance of my overall goal (the doc thinks my week off will probably set me back a couple of weeks), and I'll come back with renewed dedication to finish what I've started and end up a healthier, happier me. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Of course, it didn't hurt to be down another 6.4 lbs. at WI this morning!
salesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #18  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
By staying on phase 1 between now and my events in September, I'll likely drop another 20 lbs., which means that when I get back to Phase 1 after they're over, I'll be within striking distance of my overall goal (the doc thinks my week off will probably set me back a couple of weeks), and I'll come back with renewed dedication to finish what I've started and end up a healthier, happier me. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Of course, it didn't hurt to be down another 6.4 lbs. at WI this morning!
Good plan for you this is.

Last edited by Novak; 08-11-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #19  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

So, Salesgod, here's my two cents... One of the reasons I believe that IP will work for the long run is that it allows behavior modification and to some extent a change in our attitudes. Food is fuel. What we are doing is basic chemistry and I know for myself, I really need to not think of it as anything other than that... ever. I haven't been doing this as long as you have, but if I'm feeling bored with something it's usually because I'm not feeding my life in another area. I think I need to look at what I can do with my time and life other than focus on food. I'm coming to love that my meals are very simple and I can simply change them with seasoning because then, I am more free in other areas of my life.

Anyway, I hope that makes some sense. Congratulations on the awesome work so far. Think of all that self-discipline you have developed too!
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #20  
Dave - The Speedo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionm View Post
So, Salesgod, here's my two cents... One of the reasons I believe that IP will work for the long run is that it allows behavior modification and to some extent a change in our attitudes. Food is fuel. What we are doing is basic chemistry and I know for myself, I really need to not think of it as anything other than that... ever. I haven't been doing this as long as you have, but if I'm feeling bored with something it's usually because I'm not feeding my life in another area. I think I need to look at what I can do with my time and life other than focus on food. I'm coming to love that my meals are very simple and I can simply change them with seasoning because then, I am more free in other areas of my life.

Anyway, I hope that makes some sense. Congratulations on the awesome work so far. Think of all that self-discipline you have developed too!
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how to respond to that. I'm with you on behavior modifications and change in attitude, but you lose me when you start down the "food is fuel only" path.

One of the reasons I believe I've been so successful with IP is because I've taken exactly the opposite approach. And from reading the various threads here, I'm not alone. It seems that someone is constantly posting about an idea they had to change up the food, whether it's freezing the pudding so it's like ice cream, or making gravy out of a soup packet. I have a passion for cooking that goes beyond my need for fuel or really for eating. Luckily, that passion has carried over as I've been on my IP journey. I see food as one of life's simple pleasures, and my boredom has come from seeing food as fuel only. So adopting the philosophy of "food is only fuel" would actually increase my boredom. Does that make sense?

That said, my life doesn't revolve around food, and it really never has. I have a very well rounded life. Lots of hobbies, a great family life, a good job, etc. I've never used food to fill a void from some other area. Rather, because food tends to be interconnected with most social activities, it enhances other areas of life. IP has changed my outlook on what I consume, but I don't think it's designed to take the pleasure or the social nature out of food.

I know some people are stress eaters. I know for some food is a crutch. Food, for me, is an area of great curiosity that has grown from wanting to taste new things to wanting to cook new things to wanting to share my cooking with others. Even so, my curiosity and desire to cook are actually a fairly low priority compared to other areas of interest in my life, and being on IP hasn't really impacted my other areas of interest.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 176/158/136

Height: 5'2"

Salesgod, you are indeed fortunate to have so many creative and social outlets. Even the statement, having jello is like eating steak shows a pretty positive nature. I wish I had your creativity and culinary skills. Mine is more utility oriented. I bought a few foods that I don't necessarily like, and I am determined to not let them go to waste (not waist). I bought a Lindora chocolate cake which is just ok, but not filling. I bought a cheesecake which is not bad, but not tasty. But when I cooked the cake and let it cool off and made the cheesecake and put it on top of the cake and chilled it for an hour, and shared half with a friend, I felt like I really had a dessert. When I bought the oatmeal and turned it into a crepe, it was nice. I enjoy playing with my food!

I felt like I was cheating when I had an orange, but was able to rationalize that I do need the Potassium, and it is far better than the 3 donuts I used to eat.

My other rationalization is that I am losing weight instead of gaining and I am enjoying learning from all of you.

I am not sure how you are going to maintain your loss. Maybe adding a starch or fruit a day instead. But past behavior is an indicator of future behavior which indicates that you will be successful. Good job on what you have accompished
LynnDear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 173/164/144

Height: 5'2

Quote:
So I told my coach that I have some events coming in September that will pull me out of ketosis. And I mentioned that I'm just bored with the routine. She didn't seem too surprised by the boredom, but reinforced that I'm doing really well with IP. She feels like I've hung in well because I have been so creative. We discussed how I really don't have that much more to go, and we discussed going off protocol in September. At that point, she consulted with the doctor, and his advice was to stick with Phase 1 until my events in September. When those events arrive, he advised me to cheat and then get back on the protocol and finish the course. This was the perfect advice for me.

Happy to hear you have plan that you feel will work for you. Based on the way you rock this program, I'm sure you will have no problem cheating and then jumping right back into strict IP again. I hope you have great time in September!
mommajen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #23  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how to respond to that. I'm with you on behavior modifications and change in attitude, but you lose me when you start down the "food is fuel only" path.

One of the reasons I believe I've been so successful with IP is because I've taken exactly the opposite approach. And from reading the various threads here, I'm not alone. It seems that someone is constantly posting about an idea they had to change up the food, whether it's freezing the pudding so it's like ice cream, or making gravy out of a soup packet. I have a passion for cooking that goes beyond my need for fuel or really for eating. Luckily, that passion has carried over as I've been on my IP journey. I see food as one of life's simple pleasures, and my boredom has come from seeing food as fuel only. So adopting the philosophy of "food is only fuel" would actually increase my boredom. Does that make sense?
That absolutely makes sense and you need to find what works best for you. I probably didn't articulate my thoughts very well when I boiled it down to "food is fuel". It doesn't mean that I don't plan to ever enjoy food again but rather more that a tool that provides my body with what I need. I get excited about being able to cook and prepare healthy food, but the difference is I get to also be conscious of food on a different level other than just taste and that is to make sure it will fuel my body properly. Quite frankly, right now, I also get excited about not having to think too much about what I will eat because it is just easier. I will also freely admit though that I am one of those people that used to eat for comfort or when I was bored or just whenever.

Keep up the good work!
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 237/113/140 ... healthy BMI

Height: 5.3

Salesgod, glad to hear you've come up with a plan that works for you! Enjoy your events in Sept!
makeitmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 211/166/140 started: 5/25

Height: 5'5"

I was feeling the same thing the last couple of weeks and had decided to take a mini-break from IP, transition through the different phases and then stay on Phase 4 for 4 weeks before returning to phase 1. so, today, i had a heart to heart with my niece and she's convinced me to stay on it since i'm on a roll. and I calculated that assuming I lost 3 lbs a week each week from now on (i know wishful thinking!!) then I should be ready to transition to Phase 2 just before thanksgiving. so, keeping in mind that I want to be on Phase 4 during the holidays and I still have plenty to lose, i've decided to stick with it and try to reach my goal no matter how bored and demotivated i am.

so, think about the program in a different angle and it may give you the boost not to be too bored and stick to it!
dietfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #26  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Try to avoid carbs and fats together.
This is a really thoughtful thread so I apologize for extracting out one tiny part of it but something you said salesgod (love the name) trigger a question I've been puzzling over for some time. In brief, how can you follow IP and avoid carbs and fats together? Ex. salad and olive oil; bread with butter in Phase 3. For instance, I get about the same amount of carbs in 4 cups of Romaine as I do in 2 cups of spinach + 2 cups of mushrooms., so half of the days carbs in vegetables and salad come with fats, albeit good fats.

I hope I'm not being borishly dense but I just don't get it. And while I'm spilling the beans, the other thing I don't understand is when people (coaches and board members alike) say that we should have zero carbs. HOW? I really would appreciate it if someone would pull the chain on my light bulb.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #27  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
This is a really thoughtful thread so I apologize for extracting out one tiny part of it but something you said salesgod (love the name) trigger a question I've been puzzling over for some time. In brief, how can you follow IP and avoid carbs and fats together? Ex. salad and olive oil; bread with butter in Phase 3. For instance, I get about the same amount of carbs in 4 cups of Romaine as I do in 2 cups of spinach + 2 cups of mushrooms., so half of the days carbs in vegetables and salad come with fats, albeit good fats.

I hope I'm not being borishly dense but I just don't get it. And while I'm spilling the beans, the other thing I don't understand is when people (coaches and board members alike) say that we should have zero carbs. HOW? I really would appreciate it if someone would pull the chain on my light bulb.
Phase 4 or maintenance isn't really following IP protocol, it is more of a food combining maintenance diet. Remember how you put your body off balance? Now you are aiming for balance! I think there is a pdf in a sticky. Very basic breakdown is: You have your breakfast that has carbs, fats & protein together (like phase 3), lunch is protein, fats & very limited carbs and dinner is carbs, protein & limited fats IIRC.

I'm unsure the whole 0 carb thing, I haven't heard it. I get 5.3 for 4 cups of romaine and 2 cups of spinach has 2.2 and 4.5 for 2 cups of mushrooms, so you are about right. In phase 4 it's more about carbs from breads and other starchy things like potatoes and probably beans. I wouldn't worry about veggies, you can have them all!
xanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #28  
Dave - The Speedo King

By carbs and fats together, my doc was talking specifically about things like pizza and cheeseburgers. Though he doesn't want me to specifically follow phase 4 (maintenance) in September, the maintenance phase establishes balance, as xanthia mentioned, through separation. To quote from Dr. Tran Tien Chanh regarding stabilization:

"The objective is to balance all food groups during a day so that you eat a little of everything over a 24-hour period. No deficiencies, no boredom. You may eat a little of everything, but not at one meal. Carbohydrates and fats cause weight gain? Solution: separate them, like a teacher separates two troublesome students."
Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #29  

Quote:
By carbs and fats together, my doc was talking specifically about things like pizza and cheeseburgers. Though he doesn't want me to specifically follow phase 4 (maintenance) in September, the maintenance phase establishes balance, as xanthia mentioned, through separation. To quote from Dr. Tran Tien Chanh regarding stabilization:

"The objective is to balance all food groups during a day so that you eat a little of everything over a 24-hour period. No deficiencies, no boredom. You may eat a little of everything, but not at one meal. Carbohydrates and fats cause weight gain? Solution: separate them, like a teacher separates two troublesome students."
Another way to look at the "no carbs and fats together" rule -- no fats with refined carbs or high carb veggies?

Olive oil or butter on your broccoli? no problem
Creamy alfredo sauce on pasta? low carb the next few meals or day
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #30  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

All three, thanks so much. Of course this makes sense (now). I'll put my too literal cap in the closet for a while. Thanks again.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote