Old 07-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/138/128

Height: 5'5

Default Do we have to use their sea salt?

I forgot my salt at home today and went to a store closeby the office to get some sea salt-- is that okay or should we only use theirs?
Zebra35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 184.6/155/145

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra35 View Post
I forgot my salt at home today and went to a store closeby the office to get some sea salt-- is that okay or should we only use theirs?
My store sells the REAL SALT for alot cheeper but I do like the small cantaners
hunter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #3  

Somebody in the know (I've forgotten who) posted on here a while back that sea salt is sea salt... nothing magical about one brand or another... I've been using Morton from Walmart... just remember it might not supply iodine, a necessary nutrient, so you might need to supplement that from another source... I take kelp for iodine...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/138/128

Height: 5'5

Sounds good, thank u
Zebra35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

It is necessary for you to use salt. It is necessary for that salt to not be chemically treated and processed and to be mineral rich.

Sea salt is most often not chemically altered. It is least stripped of the naturally occuring trace minerals.

Redmond is a PREFERRED, but not required, brand because it is a sea salt rich in minerals, not chemically processed, and one of the minerals is an iodine.

To be without it for a meal or so isn't going to be a problem. Some people only take the whole amount of the sea salt once a day because they don't like to salt their food.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 07-29-2010 at 08:05 PM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/166/140 started: 5/25

Height: 5'5"

When I first started the IP program, I asked my coach about using Sea Salt other than the "real Salt" i purchased from him. He said as long as the salt content is the same, then it should be OK. so... weeks later I still can't find the salt content listed - I am convinced he didn't really know what he was talking about. Since the begining, I have interchanged different brands of Sea Salt, I have a shaker at work, a shaker in my purse and a big shaker with my spice rack. All 3 are different sources of sea salt, but sea salt nonetheless.
dietfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:24 AM   #7  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Default Bear with the narrative, OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietfrenzy View Post
When I first started the IP program, I asked my coach about using Sea Salt other than the "real Salt" i purchased from him. He said as long as the salt content is the same, then it should be OK. so... weeks later I still can't find the salt content listed - I am convinced he didn't really know what he was talking about. Since the begining, I have interchanged different brands of Sea Salt, I have a shaker at work, a shaker in my purse and a big shaker with my spice rack. All 3 are different sources of sea salt, but sea salt nonetheless.
Here's an excerpt from an article by Yvonne Stephens which I could have written, I subscribe to it so thoroughly.

Until I moved here I used French fleur de sel, ground or in pinches, for whatever needed salting. When I discovered Hawaiian sea salt I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Ex. 7 ounces Dover Sole, washed and not drained, poached in it's own juice for 3-4 minutes, sprinkled with ground red salt and black pepper. The fastest, best entree I can think of.

And the very best grinders I've ever found are from IKEA. No metal so they don't rust in the tropics! The funny thing about this, um, obsession, is that I use very little salt when I cook. With good salt you don't need much. The stuff that IP sells is, to me, their worst product. And it's gritty.

"Fleur de Sel (Flor do Sal in Portuguese) has a bouquet that naturally highlights food flavors, thus is the ideal product for discerning gourmets. Use Fleur de Sel in simple things like salads, fried eggs, French fries, and adding Fleur de Sel after grilling makes the meat softer, juicer, and tastier.

Number 2 we are investigating is the Fleur de Sel de Guerande Sea Salt. An all natural sea salt from Brittany, France. This particular Fleur de Sel is hand harvested in the town of Guerande between May and September. We visited Guérande at the end of July. It is the perfect place for a quiet vacation.

The rugged part of France that faces the Atlantic is unspoiled by tourists. The coastline is just gorgeous: large rock formations are piled everywhere, giving one many opportunities to enjoy the magnificent view of the ocean. If you like food and traveling, this is a place you will never forget due to the charming coastal towns with enchanting small restaurants serving local food and fish.

The salt fields of Guerande are long and narrow. A so called 'artisan paludier' (salt harvester) sweeps the top of the evaporating sea water to harvest the salt. It is rich in trace elements, the flavor is the complex balance of the sea and her minerals, the texture is that of small flaky crystals with slightly grey/pink color. Like the Portuguese Fleur de Sel, this sea salt is typically used to finish a dish, as a condiment, rather than a spice.

Number 3 is Hawaiian Red Sea Salt
Where does the reddish tint come from? The reason is that during the harvesting process 'Alaea is added to the salt. This gives it a slight orange/brown tint to the salt, which is completely tasteless and it doesn't smell either. By adding 'Alaea it significantly increases the health benefits of this salt. 'Alaea is composed of over 80 different minerals that no other salts provide.

In ancient Hawaii, on the island of what is now Kauai, red volcanic clay called Alaea "met" Sea Salt when, during heavy rains, the red clay sediment seeped into the ocean from Kauai's rivers. When this red ocean water became trapped in tidal pools, evaporation created Hawaiian Red Alaea Sea Salt.

According to the Hawaiians 'Alaea Sea Salt tastes much better than any white salt, including the 'Fleur De Sel' from France or Portugal, but after a test at home, I decided that I like all three sea salts. The flavor of all three is different, and here is what I do with them:
- Salads, salsas, white fish, vegetables, fried eggs - Hawaiian or Portuguese sea salt
- Steak, grilled items like chicken, ribs, French Fries - Guerande sea salt
- Fatty fish, like salmon, mackerel, herring - - Guerande or Portuguese sea salt"

Last edited by Linden; 07-30-2010 at 05:26 AM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #8  
ReStarted IP 6/4/2012

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Height: 5'2"

Morton now makes sea salt, with iodine. You can get it at walmart. I have it at home, but keep my Redmond with me for when I'm out or at work.
TaylorMayde is offline   Reply With Quote