3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   What do you wish your coach had told you??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/205991-what-do-you-wish-your-coach-had-told-you.html)

miasmama 01-03-2012 12:04 AM

No, I am not a nutrition/biology/exercise science major. I am a woman who was 50 lbs overweight and heard about Ideal Protein from a co-worker. At the time there was only one clinic in my small town offering the protocol. I lost the weight through that clinic, never ever once meeting the dr!! A personal friend who is also a dr. watched me slim down and became interested in adding the protocol to his practice when it was mentioned at a seminar he was at and it clicked that this was the diet he had watched me have great success with and become very passionate. When he decided to add it to his practice he asked me to be his coach largely based upon the fact that I had "walked the walk" as well as my enthusiasm in wanting to help others change their lives. You will find that many clinics have coaches that have never had a weight problem and more than likely have never done the protocol! I am not saying one bit that they are not great coaches, but personally I know that my dieters really love the fact that I have been in their shoes!
We do receive a full training to become a certified coach from our regional representative. The dr I work for reviews each and every health profile, meets every dieter and is there for me 24/7 should there be anything that comes up that I am not qualified to respond to. We also have the IP corporate staff available to us as well.
There are MANY diets out there, including ones where you are under the guidance of a professional nutritionist, personal trainer etc. If IP is not the one you feel comfortable with, then please choose another one! For myself and many, many others IP has changed our lives!!
Best of luck to you Kara on your journey!

BCGirl 01-03-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kara (Post 4153739)
The more I read about IP the more I think it's DANGEROUS. How can people who have absolutely no training in nutrition and weight loss be invited to become coaches? @miasmama, I mean no disrespect to you, but how are you even remotely qualified to help people lose weight healthily if you have no training in nutrition, exercise, biology, etc.

Based on everything I've read on this forum I do believe that the IP program should be illegal. The information they give out on nutrition, body composition, and health is criminally negligent.

Just as an example .. hair loss and nail issues during this kind of weight loss are due to the fact that you're not consuming enough healthy fats. ON a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) you MUST consume some kind of Omega supplement (fish oil is best) in order to offset the negative effects of the lack of fats.

It's surprising to me that people avoid losing weight because of health risks when being overweight has (IMO) significantly higher health risks. This plan transitions you to regular food as quickly as you get to your goal. I ate fish regularly on this plan. If people have significant weight/health issues then like all lifestyle changes (weight loss, increased exercise) they should discuss it with their doctor as they go. Good luck with whatever plan works for you, this worked for me and for lots on this site.

What I wish is that everyone knew how much benefit this has on the metabolism. I am on maintenance and after 15 days on holiday (eating everything I wanted) I still fit into my new smaller clothes (I haven't weighed myself yet since I haven't been home yet).

Linden 01-03-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kara (Post 4153739)
The more I read about IP the more I think it's DANGEROUS. How can people who have absolutely no training in nutrition and weight loss be invited to become coaches? @miasmama, I mean no disrespect to you, but how are you even remotely qualified to help people lose weight healthily if you have no training in nutrition, exercise, biology, etc.

Based on everything I've read on this forum I do believe that the IP program should be illegal. The information they give out on nutrition, body composition, and health is criminally negligent.

Just as an example .. hair loss and nail issues during this kind of weight loss are due to the fact that you're not consuming enough healthy fats. ON a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) you MUST consume some kind of Omega supplement (fish oil is best) in order to offset the negative effects of the lack of fats.

Seems to me you're in a snit because you can't read; or chose to misinterpret what you do read. Pity.

ptod 01-03-2012 10:45 AM

And now back to our regularly scheduled program......

I wish my coach (who is a doctor and lost 100+ pounds herself) had warned me about the weird food dreams. I am grateful to the people on the board who have talked about them. Last night I had a dream that I was eating dinner at Buckingham Palace. They weren't serving pizza that night, but I woke up thinking that that would have been funny. :D

dinki 01-03-2012 02:53 PM

Kara I have to respond to your claim that IP is dangerous...I am an RN in a busy ER and daily we see the severe health problems of obesity..I will take my chances on hair loss or thinning nails over the cardiac issues, mobility problems, and depression with our morbidly obese patients.

wuv2bloved 01-03-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinki (Post 4154800)
Kara I have to respond to your claim that IP is dangerous...I am an RN in a busy ER and daily we see the severe health problems of obesity..I will take my chances on hair loss or thinning nails over the cardiac issues, mobility problems, and depression with our morbidly obese patients.

"LIKE button!!!!!!!!"

Debbie64 01-04-2012 09:16 AM

Ladies I too agree with all your replies to Kara. I am a RN who has struggled with my weight since I was 6 years old. I have tried just about every diet out there at one time or another. While I do not have the extreme challenges some of you face I still have to make conscious decisions every day about my health and diet. I have been blessed as of now, I have not had ANY side effects from IP 7weeks and continuing. What I need to understand is the question of exercise! Can someone please give me your recommendations/experiences while in the various phases of IP and exercising. My coach stated that it will slow my progress. I am also going on a cruise the end of the month and am trying to make sure that I DO NOT unlearn my positive behaviors.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Debbie

frazzledmom04 01-04-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie64 (Post 4155844)
Ladies I too agree with all your replies to Kara. I am a RN who has struggled with my weight since I was 6 years old. I have tried just about every diet out there at one time or another. While I do not have the extreme challenges some of you face I still have to make conscious decisions every day about my health and diet. I have been blessed as of now, I have not had ANY side effects from IP 7weeks and continuing. What I need to understand is the question of exercise! Can someone please give me your recommendations/experiences while in the various phases of IP and exercising. My coach stated that it will slow my progress. I am also going on a cruise the end of the month and am trying to make sure that I DO NOT unlearn my positive behaviors.
Debbie

I was told by my coach not to exercise for the first couple of months but now I'm doing some walking on the treadmill and exercise bike and some weight training 3 times a week. On the days I do exercise I was told to add an extra packet. I'm still averaging 3-4 lbs a week.

Teach2lose 01-04-2012 09:45 AM

I have been on this diet since the middle of October and I have gotten a really bad cold twice. They have stayed with me for over a week each time. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

BCGirl 01-04-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teach2lose (Post 4155908)
I have been on this diet since the middle of October and I have gotten a really bad cold twice. They have stayed with me for over a week each time. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

My resistance level was higher on the diet (probably due to the supplements) - I never got sick, I expect this has to do with regular cold season as opposed to the diet. Both my kids have had a couple of colds through this season.

Teach2lose 01-04-2012 10:00 AM

Well, that is probably true and I am a teacher so I am exposed to it all. I had the flu shot in November . I was thinking I should up the vitamin c intake.

Danni1 01-04-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Debbie

I start the program next week, but this was also one of my concerns. I am part of a dance group that is getting ready for our performance and cutting out all exercise is not an option. My coach told me to take an extra package on days that I dance. That being said I am not going to do my daily gym workout for the first few weeks, just keep to light walking and am going to avoid the weights while I am on the program.

JellyMae87 01-04-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danni1 (Post 4156153)
I start the program next week, but this was also one of my concerns. I am part of a dance group that is getting ready for our performance and cutting out all exercise is not an option. My coach told me to take an extra package on days that I dance. That being said I am not going to do my daily gym workout for the first few weeks, just keep to light walking and am going to avoid the weights while I am on the program.

That will be ideal! Your energy level will be low for the first 2-3 weeks. Just take things slow.... I do Roller Derby... and I have done it while on this program! you will be fine!

patns 01-04-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Debbie

Did you download Dr. Chanh's's book from the sticky at the top of the daily thread? That really explains why he developed the plan the way he did and a lot of it is about the exercise issues.

You have done extremely well on the program!

Pat

Debbie64 01-04-2012 10:33 PM

Pat, thank you so much. I too am very very proud of my results and over the holidays too! I swear I tell everyone who asks what I did or am doing about IP! However I need to figure out how to tell them this is not a "diet" for the faint of heart. I think it takes true committment and planning, planning, planning! The money is some what an issue but $4.5/meal is cheaper then a Big mac, fries and a soda at BK.
Have to figure out how to keep up the losing while on a 7 day cruise the last week in Jan. I know it will be a challenge as I cant fix my own food but will do the best I can and have a suitcase full of products.
Deb

JellyMae87 01-05-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie64 (Post 4157139)
Pat, thank you so much. I too am very very proud of my results and over the holidays too! I swear I tell everyone who asks what I did or am doing about IP! However I need to figure out how to tell them this is not a "diet" for the faint of heart. I think it takes true committment and planning, planning, planning! The money is some what an issue but $4.5/meal is cheaper then a Big mac, fries and a soda at BK.
Have to figure out how to keep up the losing while on a 7 day cruise the last week in Jan. I know it will be a challenge as I cant fix my own food but will do the best I can and have a suitcase full of products.
Deb

You can do it!! Just use the knowledge that ip has given you so far... I know that some people did a mini phase off to go on vacations...

Tammywhiz 02-01-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinoa1823 (Post 3375101)
i wish my coaches told me they were more salesmen than coaches...i ask them a question and its ..."oh well we have a pill for that"...meh i just use them to purchase product now...if I didnt have this forum I would be totally lost

like-like-like this comment. That is how I feel about my coach. Not a coach just a salesman that weighs me once a week....gonna look for a new place.

SaraBean 02-01-2012 11:40 AM

I wish they told me that I would have a different coach each week and get weighed on different scales. It seems inconsistent.

patns 02-01-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elvismommy3 (Post 3646593)
Hi Holly! Good luck to you, too!
This is the most extreme low-carb weight loss program I have tried. I was on South Beach combined with Myoden and B-12 injections and I lost 70 pounds in a year, but due to some extreme stress and hormonal issues, I put it all back on plus 10 in less than 5 months. I like that this one teaches you HOW to eat carbs for the rest of your life. I am feeling a little better today, but still no energy or anything yet - and I was eating MASSIVE carbs before the program. I will be back on the boards later today hunting for recipes because I am beyond bored with the salads, although I enjoy my excuse to buy shrimp every week :) Have a great day!

This is why I am concerned that the most common advice is to cut out the restricted items. They are there for a reason. I too have been on many diets and only the low carb works for me. But as soon as I went through the phases (such as phase 2 SB) to ease back into more normal eating the weight came back instantly.
If you follow the protocol of OP exactly you are giving your body a controlled amount of carbs every day. It does not go into shock when you hit maintance as it has not been carb deprived as you lost the weight.

The restricted is an important part of this process. I have just realized it is also important in that it is training my brain too. I will be much less likely to go into binge mood later if I do have a treat. I am becoming very conditioned to have only one treat a day in a controlled amount. I have boxes of bars in my cupboard but have no problem not thinking of the rest after I take my one for the day out. Pre IP I would have the rest on my mind all the time.

As far as what you wish your coach had told you; for me it is a point about which I had listened better. That is to get the oil in. Measure out the amount of olive oil and use it in salad dressing. Take the Omega capsule too. My loss for very slow until I realised I had really cut back on the oil by using all WF products instead. I also had big issues with the big C until I realized what was causing it.

Pat

thin4me 02-01-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JellyMae87 (Post 4156160)
That will be ideal! Your energy level will be low for the first 2-3 weeks. Just take things slow.... I do Roller Derby... and I have done it while on this program! you will be fine!

I can't believe how much you have lost - Awesome job!!!

sekc14 02-02-2012 11:28 AM

Worldwide, the obese now greatly outnumber the undernourished, according to the World Health Organization. Obesity is a public health problem in most countries. And chronic diseases related to diet such as heart diseases, diabetes and some cancers — for the first time in human history — kill more people than infectious diseases, according to the United Nations.
http://news.yahoo.com/sugar-regulate...180605186.html

Momto2cs 02-02-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miasmama (Post 4153872)
No, I am not a nutrition/biology/exercise science major. I am a woman who was 50 lbs overweight and heard about Ideal Protein from a co-worker. At the time there was only one clinic in my small town offering the protocol. I lost the weight through that clinic, never ever once meeting the dr!! A personal friend who is also a dr. watched me slim down and became interested in adding the protocol to his practice when it was mentioned at a seminar he was at and it clicked that this was the diet he had watched me have great success with and become very passionate. When he decided to add it to his practice he asked me to be his coach largely based upon the fact that I had "walked the walk" as well as my enthusiasm in wanting to help others change their lives. You will find that many clinics have coaches that have never had a weight problem and more than likely have never done the protocol! I am not saying one bit that they are not great coaches, but personally I know that my dieters really love the fact that I have been in their shoes!
We do receive a full training to become a certified coach from our regional representative. The dr I work for reviews each and every health profile, meets every dieter and is there for me 24/7 should there be anything that comes up that I am not qualified to respond to. We also have the IP corporate staff available to us as well.
There are MANY diets out there, including ones where you are under the guidance of a professional nutritionist, personal trainer etc. If IP is not the one you feel comfortable with, then please choose another one! For myself and many, many others IP has changed our lives!!
Best of luck to you Kara on your journey!

I agree that having a coach who has done ip is a huge plus. If they haven't then they really can't understand the process.

Even if they just do it for a few weeks, at least then they can discuss the food, ideas for variety, etc.

When I go and it's someone who hasn't even tried the food I am always disappointed.

triplelma 02-02-2012 03:15 PM

Where in RI?

Not sure where you are in RI, but the center in Raynham MA is phenomenal. Kim is my coach and she rocks. This center is NOT LIKE THE OTHERS! They keep close tabs on you to make sure you are healthy and do not push anything on you.. She is in it for the right reasons- she lost 130 pounds herself and has found this to be her passion. I'm no expert, but getting weighed on different scales by different people does not seem like a good thing for continuity of care! Look for a new center, your paperwork can always be transferred!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaraBean (Post 4198810)
I wish they told me that I would have a different coach each week and get weighed on different scales. It seems inconsistent.

geminezmarie 02-02-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvfree (Post 4039436)
I wish I had been told that your vision may very well get blurry and change for about a few weeks due to lowered sugar levels....I am insulin resistant, my coaches know that, but not mention this side affect that results for lowered blood sugar levels...

Oh WTH, I've been trying to figure out why my semi-shite vision has worsened in my first week on IP. Thanks for the mention of this!

pegv 02-02-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplelma (Post 4200754)
Not sure where you are in RI, but the center in Raynham MA is phenomenal. Kim is my coach and she rocks. This center is NOT LIKE THE OTHERS! They keep close tabs on you to make sure you are healthy and do not push anything on you.. She is in it for the right reasons- she lost 130 pounds herself and has found this to be her passion. I'm no expert, but getting weighed on different scales by different people does not seem like a good thing for continuity of care! Look for a new center, your paperwork can always be transferred!!

I switched from one center to another and they charged me the $100.00 fee. I had already went over the protocol and they still wouldn't waive the fee. I guess it costs to have someone weigh you and measure you.

heliosmommy 02-03-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tammywhiz (Post 4198337)
like-like-like this comment. That is how I feel about my coach. Not a coach just a salesman that weighs me once a week....gonna look for a new place.

I totally agree with this comment. Everytime I ask a question mine tells me that she doesn't know, but she'll check her manual and let me know next week. She's been at this for over a year and over 50 patients so I find that a little odd. So, I have resigned myself to the idea that I have no coach, but just a salesperson. At least I have this forum!!!

vocaleer 02-03-2012 05:34 PM

Ha! So right about the dreams! The other night, I dreamed I was eating a block of cream cheese, held in my hand with the wrapper pulled down - like a klondike bar. A few days before that, I dreamed I ordered a pizza, realized I couldn't eat it, so I had a beer instead. But in my waking hours, I don't have cravings at all!

Mom3LoveBugs 02-03-2012 06:09 PM

I wish I had a coach!

alex1space 02-04-2012 11:55 PM

Home

I am winding down day 3 of IP and was beginning to feel a little discouraged. The only support I have around me are my fiance and my mother. He pushes to hard (poor baby is really trying to help), and my mother (on IP for 6 weeks) has hit a plateau, so she is mopy. I feel like I have found a new home for myself here. I can't wait to read on to see what other ideas and tip you all have!!

Tripmama 02-05-2012 12:31 AM

Just keep it up. /and be sure to get in 2 tsp of olive oil and some apple vinegar

dawn c 02-05-2012 12:33 AM

Cool

I am so thankful to hear about the hair "problems" here. I thought it was just me. No one told me otherwise until I read this thread.

shiipa 02-05-2012 12:02 PM

I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to sleep. I will ask at wi tomorrow if replacing the last pack with another protein, such as an egg, may help alleviate this.
I also had a severe rash on my arm, but when I mentioned it, the doc said she would ask about it but I never received any feedback later.

TFBeller 02-05-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by showgirlaz (Post 3365742)
WOW!
- you aren't allowed the occasional veggies til 70% lost (just my coach's rule)
- you aren't allowed the restricted foods until you reach goal (just my coach's rule)
- your birth control may be interfered with
- you may lose your hair, A LOT of your hair
- you will become constipated
- your skin could become dry, cracked, and bleeding
- you will get bored with the food, the veggies, the routine... stick with it
- it will be hard to treat a cold if you get one because of sugar in medicine
- some of your prescriptions will effect your average weight loss
- you will not lose 3 - 5 pounds every week it may or may not even be your average if you are on the program more than 3 months.
- your menstrual cycle will go through changes and may not be what you expect
- you will feel horrible at times as your body adjusts and corrects, but you will get through if you stick it out
- you may reach a point you gag on the salads you have to eat :)
- you will crave things you have never liked and come to hate things you use to love
- you will have strange dreams of eating off plan foods
- eating out will become boring because it will feel like you can only eat the same things, ANYWHERE :)
- you will want to walk up to strangers and tell them all about how Ideal Protein can change their life... think twice before you act on that impulse.
- you will have times that you will lose many more inches than pounds and that is OK! Weight loss is not just about the number on the scale but how your body shape is changing and how your clothes fit.
- You will want to give up. DON'T! Write down your reason and inspiration for doing this today and read it everyday until you get to your goal.

That is just a few that came to my mind! I guess there was a lot I wish I was told!

Wow! Thanks for sharing - it's encouraging to me.

heliosmommy 02-07-2012 03:11 PM

I just have to say I had a very good visit with my coach yesterday. Maybe we just needed to get to know each other a little bit. Very excited:carrot:

heliosmommy 02-07-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patns (Post 4198867)
This is why I am concerned that the most common advice is to cut out the restricted items. They are there for a reason. I too have been on many diets and only the low carb works for me. But as soon as I went through the phases (such as phase 2 SB) to ease back into more normal eating the weight came back instantly.
If you follow the protocol of OP exactly you are giving your body a controlled amount of carbs every day. It does not go into shock when you hit maintance as it has not been carb deprived as you lost the weight.

The restricted is an important part of this process. I have just realized it is also important in that it is training my brain too. I will be much less likely to go into binge mood later if I do have a treat. I am becoming very conditioned to have only one treat a day in a controlled amount. I have boxes of bars in my cupboard but have no problem not thinking of the rest after I take my one for the day out. Pre IP I would have the rest on my mind all the time.

As far as what you wish your coach had told you; for me it is a point about which I had listened better. That is to get the oil in. Measure out the amount of olive oil and use it in salad dressing. Take the Omega capsule too. My loss for very slow until I realised I had really cut back on the oil by using all WF products instead. I also had big issues with the big C until I realized what was causing it.

Pat

May I please ask...What is the big C?

wuv2bloved 02-07-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heliosmommy (Post 4207589)
May I please ask...What is the big C?

Constipation

heliosmommy 02-07-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Debbie

Granted I have only been on IP for 4 full weeks now, but I've been seeing a personal trainer 3 days per week all but the first week and have been losing weight well, averaging 4 lbs per week. My coach said I could incorporate training as soon as I felt strong enough to. She did say the weight loss per the scale may slow, but that doesn't mean transformation isn't happening. Since muscle ways more than fat, as I build muscle it may seem that I slow in losing weight, but the inches will be the real proof. Also, since the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn (even while resting) that its a great benefit to the protocol. She said to just keep up the protocol and the scales would start moving again soon.

heliosmommy 02-07-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuv2bloved (Post 4207593)
Constipation

OOOOHHhhh....gotcha! :o

pegv 02-18-2012 09:12 AM

I have learned more from this site than anything from my coaches. I think the coaches should have some training instead of just being hired right off the street. I had a coach, if you want to call her that, that would measure you so tight that you thought she was cutting you in half!! She would tell you that the tape measure is what you should be looking at and not the scales. I know she was trying to make me feel better by not loosing but it also was a big waste of money! I didn't know you should not chew alot of gum, use some of the artificial sweetners, and make sure you got in all of your veggies. I have never been able to lose weight fast like most of you, but that is okay, as long as I am loosing. Last year I had a hip replacement and by loosing weight, this is going to help my good hip and my knees!

wuv2bloved 02-18-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pegv (Post 4220670)
I have learned more from this site than anything from my coaches. I think the coaches should have some training instead of just being hired right off the street. I had a coach, if you want to call her that, that would measure you so tight that you thought she was cutting you in half!! She would tell you that the tape measure is what you should be looking at and not the scales. I know she was trying to make me feel better by not loosing but it also was a big waste of money! I didn't know you should not chew alot of gum, use some of the artificial sweetners, and make sure you got in all of your veggies. I have never been able to lose weight fast like most of you, but that is okay, as long as I am loosing. Last year I had a hip replacement and by loosing weight, this is going to help my good hip and my knees!

I chew gum everyday, I use sweeteners everyday. It is very important that you get all of your veggies in for a day. Its the combination of all of the products and veggies and protein at night that makes this program work. Its figured out for us, that is why it is important to follow the sheet :)