3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   What do you wish your coach had told you??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/205991-what-do-you-wish-your-coach-had-told-you.html)

sweetpea2011 02-03-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dollarnme (Post 3691276)
My coach just got back from more training in Vancouver on the weekend, and she said that it is mandatory that we have a 1 restricted item per day. I have not been doing this, and now I am afraid it will stall my loss. Anyone else heard of this??

Is this true for Phase I or only for later? I have only been losing about 2 lbs per week... I wonder if this will help my weight loss if I add a restricted? I have only had 1 restricted item during the 4 weeks I've been on IP and it was only because I didn't have a snack while shopping and I had a bar in my purse for emergencies. I don't want to slow my weight loss even more....

YankeeFan14040 02-03-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpea2011 (Post 3692633)
Is this true for Phase I or only for later? I have only been losing about 2 lbs per week... I wonder if this will help my weight loss if I add a restricted? I have only had 1 restricted item during the 4 weeks I've been on IP and it was only because I didn't have a snack while shopping and I had a bar in my purse for emergencies. I don't want to slow my weight loss even more....

That has been my instruction since the very beginning and I've been doing great, having one each day.

rhondalynny 02-03-2011 03:52 PM

I have one restricted each day from the beginning and have lost an average of 3 plus pounds per week.

KATonIP 02-03-2011 03:53 PM

Thank you Linden!! This is perfect!

Josephine216 02-03-2011 06:24 PM

I wish my coach would have told me about miracle noodles. I buy them off the internet since there are nowhere to be found where I live.

A also wish that my coach would have told me about planning on going to a restaurant. I've bought sample packets of WF dressing and I bring salt with me.

JSP 02-03-2011 07:37 PM

I wish my coach had told me that not everyone looses 3-5 lbs per week, and that a 1.5 - 2.0 lb weight loss is just fine. Instead, I focused on trying something new each and every week, and nothing worked. I was a steady two pounds per week. In hindsight, that worked out quite well, especially when I stalled the past two months after having increased my cardio (another attempt to ramp up the loss, which is the only attempt that backfired).

I truly feel this diet is amazing and works as long as you stick to protocol.

curvycajun 02-22-2011 11:34 PM

Just wanted to say "HEY" to a fellow Acadian, I live in Lafayette too.

I started this diet on my own last week and so far so good. This forum has been the biggest help, and I thank each and every one of you for sharing your experiences. Makes me feel better about the decision to start this and actually NOT to sign up and deal with a "coach" that possibly knows very little about the IP plan other than just trying to make the sale.

I've been reading alot of threads on here, when I have the time, and I tell you, they are keeping me inspired. I've lost 10 pounds in 8 days and I already feel great and have more energy, and looking forward to those next 10 pounds to shed!!!

curvycajun 02-22-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elvismommy3 (Post 3645907)
And here I am munching on my restricted salt & vinegar chips on day 4 because my coach said I should have one a day. I bought things individually, so didn't have the nutritional value. After reading several of these threads, I got curious and looked up the nutritional value for all of the IP foods. Geez! I am going to limit myself to one restricted per week (because after all, they are sooo good!) and on that day cut back on something else. These are all good things to know because my coach left out most of this (except the hair falling out part - she did mention that. But, she said, "they have a pill for that!" lol)

I am on day 4 and frustrated already with the limited eating choices and lack of seeing the scale budge at all yet.

I guess I didn't post the first response correctly...I was intending on saying Hi to you... I noticed we lived in the same place!

Camio87 02-23-2011 09:48 AM

What I wish she HADN`T told me

I wish my coach hadn`t told me I was her very first client. The whole time I have been questioning things she says to me, her way of doing things...she has measured me once (and I had to practically beg), she told me it was okay to cheat on valentine's day. I am also not sure how i feel about being told I should be the clinic`s poster child for IP. While I know it is meant as a compliment, I find it puts extra pressure on me.

As for the restricted foods, I have had one a day since day one and have averaged 6lbs a week in loss.

Got2benow 02-23-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgarygirlie (Post 3366645)
arghh..my coach refuses to sell individuals. I had a few boxes of nasty as well. Good thing everyone has different taste, so I gave my friend those ones :P

I really wish my coach had told just how much of a difference to my weight loss it would make eating restricteds. I have all but cut them out now.

OH MY! I don't actually think I even HAVE a coach!! But the restricted items are the ONLY things that are keeping me alive right now. I probably should give them up and YOU ARE MAKING ME THINK REALLY, REALLY HARD about WHAT I AM DOING TO MYSELF....but WOW, that hurts. :?:

longdivision 02-23-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got2benow (Post 3726533)
OH MY! I don't actually think I even HAVE a coach!! But the restricted items are the ONLY things that are keeping me alive right now. I probably should give them up and YOU ARE MAKING ME THINK REALLY, REALLY HARD about WHAT I AM DOING TO MYSELF....but WOW, that hurts. :?:

Hi Got2benow,

if you are successful in your weight loss with the restricted items, you don't have to worry about eliminating them. some people are sensitive to the higher carb count so it hinders their weight loss, but that is not true for all people. some people lose more weight with restricteds in their diet. i have to eat restricteds because if i don't, i lose all of my hunger and forget to eat anything. i've done well with restricted products in my diet, as i have never had a WI less than 3.5lbs (yet). hope that helps ease your mind a bit!

Hanna00m 04-26-2011 08:19 AM

I have a restricted every day as well and it doesn't seem to be stalling me either. I've lost 22 pounds and this is my fifth week.

My coach told me that I could have any salad dressing I like as long as it's 4 grams of sugar and under! No mention of Walden Farm products at all.

She's been in the IP business for five years and doesn't know half of what I know now because of this forum. ;)

Thanks everyone!

MInewgoal 04-26-2011 12:22 PM

To clarify about restricted items?? What are we talking here...

A restricted Vegetable a day Or like a protien bar per day? Nevermind I found it on the protical sheet

lindacraig63 04-26-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navy mom 72 (Post 3490256)
Regarding excercise, I was told not to do it. They say it can throw you out of ketosis. I sure am missing my spin class! :(

I was told by my coach and the Dr. who supervises her that it's ok to continue with any exercise you've been doing before starting IP. The only stipulation is it has to be something you've been doing long term so your body is used to it.

There are a few reason coaches and Doctors don't want you beginning any strenuous exercises during the diet. When you do any weight training it breaks down your muscle tissue. That's the principle behind weight lifting...break it down so it repairs itself and becomes larger and stronger. When you do any strenuous cardio exercises it has the same affect, just not so drastic, plus you will retain water in your muscles which can translate into a weight gain and/or larger measurements at your weekly WI.

My coach and Doctor both agree it's alright to do some light exercises, i.e. walking at a relaxed pace, even if you weren't doing it before IP. I've seen another threads on here which discussed training for 5K runs. The info going around was most coaches recommend extra packets before and after training. I will try to find the thread and bump it for you.

snowclover 04-26-2011 08:03 PM

I wish my coach were a little more informed as everyone else has mentioned. She's sweet, just not prepared to answer in-depth questions about the diet.

I wish she had mentioned:

-the effect on birth control/cycles
-how to take the bag of pills she just handed me, especially those not on the sheet. (Enzymes? Anti what?)
-why I feel nauseous all the time and what to adjust to feel better.

There is a lot more... I'd be lost without this board.

stellartadpole 09-10-2011 04:41 PM

On my third week of IP and i'm so glad i found this thread :)

Since IP, my digestion's pretty off and i'm constantly constipated. I was a big veggie eater before IP and was a pretty regular, like on a timed schedule. Hoping my probiotics will help out. Wished my coach had warned me.

manton4 09-11-2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by showgirlaz (Post 3365742)
WOW!
- you aren't allowed the occasional veggies til 70% lost (just my coach's rule)
- you aren't allowed the restricted foods until you reach goal (just my coach's rule)
- your birth control may be interfered with
- you may lose your hair, A LOT of your hair
- you will become constipated
- your skin could become dry, cracked, and bleeding
- you will get bored with the food, the veggies, the routine... stick with it
- it will be hard to treat a cold if you get one because of sugar in medicine
- some of your prescriptions will effect your average weight loss
- you will not lose 3 - 5 pounds every week it may or may not even be your average if you are on the program more than 3 months.
- your menstrual cycle will go through changes and may not be what you expect
- you will feel horrible at times as your body adjusts and corrects, but you will get through if you stick it out
- you may reach a point you gag on the salads you have to eat :)
- you will crave things you have never liked and come to hate things you use to love
- you will have strange dreams of eating off plan foods
- eating out will become boring because it will feel like you can only eat the same things, ANYWHERE :)
- you will want to walk up to strangers and tell them all about how Ideal Protein can change their life... think twice before you act on that impulse.
- you will have times that you will lose many more inches than pounds and that is OK! Weight loss is not just about the number on the scale but how your body shape is changing and how your clothes fit.
- You will want to give up. DON'T! Write down your reason and inspiration for doing this today and read it everyday until you get to your goal.

That is just a few that came to my mind! I guess there was a lot I wish I was told!

SO TRUE! I had to smile as I was reading down your list. I am in week one and sometimes wake up thinking "am I sure this is the right one for me"?

aroundtheriverbend 09-11-2011 09:54 AM

I'd add that you might want to tell us upfront not to chew gum - it never occurred to me, and when that ketosis breath starts kicking in, it's the first place most people will turn! I had no idea I shouldn't be chewing it until this thread.

NavyMommy 09-12-2011 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aroundtheriverbend (Post 4028216)
I'd add that you might want to tell us upfront not to chew gum - it never occurred to me, and when that ketosis breath starts kicking in, it's the first place most people will turn! I had no idea I shouldn't be chewing it until this thread.

I don't think I've heard that before. I've been chewing gum a lot. My coach said personally for her (she lost 50+lbs on it) she just chewed any sugar-free gum so that's what I've been doing. My clinic though also sells an IP approved gum that I might look into if my losses ever stall.

I must have missed it on this thread (it's late and I was just skimming, but I didn't see it). Do you have a link or something? I really don't want to do something that will mess me up, and the gum keeps me from popping things in my mouth without thinking about it.Thanks!!

YvetteSki 09-12-2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aroundtheriverbend (Post 4028216)

I found only 1 kind of gum that we are allowed to have as they all have aspartame in them except for this one. Dentyne (sp?) Fire, it's the cinnamon one, it is sweetened with sucralose. I hated the cinnamon gum before this program but now I don't mind it at all. I'd rather chew it than scare people with my breath. (my hubby kept telling me how horrible my breath was)

I was in the store for at least an hour looking at every single pack of gum, people must have thought I was a freak.

GinaXOXO 09-12-2011 04:33 AM

Save, great information, thank you

Linden 09-12-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YvetteSki (Post 4028998)
I found only 1 kind of gum that we are allowed to have as they all have aspartame in them except for this one.

Look for Spry gum. Definitely available online; or ask your dentist.

JodiM 09-12-2011 11:31 AM

I wish they would make a book of phase 1 allowable recipes and hand them out with your start up packages.

I wish someone would have warned me that my mouth/throat would constantly be dry too.

JudoGirl 09-13-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meshell5488 (Post 3373582)
So much differing information about do's and don'ts - my coach is so different - first off I have to have 5 packets per day with 1 restricted a must (since the day I started). In fact, if I don't have 5 I get yelled at because my muscle mass has decreased and have now been told that a person of my size may actually need 6 packets a day - and she's threatened to drop me from the program if I continue to lose muscle mass and not eat the required amount of packets. I've been told to eat extra veggies and proteins and eat an egg if I have to to insure I get enough protein in. And yes, my hairs been falling out - getting quite a thin spot on top of my head! I get so confused over what to do or not to do - everone's coach is so different - isn't there supposed to be one standard protocol? I can hardly afford the 5 packets a day, and now to add a 6th - why so much differeing information out there? I'm soooo confused! Wish there was some agreement to what was standard protocol for all coaches to tell us.

This actually is kindda scary..I don't know your medical condition but we do have standards...and the hair loss is just a temporary thing..I went thru it too and my hair is healthier and fuller now..Usually you only do 3 packages a day..and the first week you can do 4 if you have to but usually just 3..Also restricted items...I tell my patients not to exceed 3 a week and they start them about the 3rd week..on days when they want to get some exercise use the bars to help with a little more energy.

I encourage people to look at the Ideal Protein Website...get info there and learn a few things...Remember this is your journey...you are paying your coaches..if you feel you need more attention..tell them..you want more help and need more education..get them to take the time...its about you...

I wish you all great success...;)

:dust:
:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:
:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

JudoGirl 09-13-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MInewgoal (Post 3824496)
To clarify about restricted items?? What are we talking here...

A restricted Vegetable a day Or like a protien bar per day? Nevermind I found it on the protical sheet

Some of the items from Ideal Protein are restricted because of the carbs in them..
like bars-oatmeal-puffs-cheese puffs...

BCGirl 09-13-2011 07:27 PM

I wish I would have had my bodyfat measured before I started (I started measuring a few days in). It's nice to see the fat leaving even if the pounds don't- especially now that I'm exercising!

alexandallismom 09-14-2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salesgod (Post 3366613)
My coach didn't tell me she has individual packets for sale. Getting through 7 packets of the nasty berry yogurt and 7 packets of awful chicken soup about killed me that first week, and made me want to quit. Once I found foods I liked, I was fine. But it was an expensive adventure on flavortown's west side...

My coach has all the boxes open and lets me pick 3 boxes and mix the packets I want. Ask your coach. For instance soup, pick 7 packets of different varieties. That way your not eating the same thing every day and get bored with it. Snacks- pick 7 different ones that way the ones you like you can get again and the ones you don't you won't waste your money on. Can't hurt to ask your coach :)

alexandallismom 09-14-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meshell5488 (Post 3373634)
I know it sounds fishy - but I've been averaging 3 pounds a week and with the threat of being told I can't stay on program, I'm worried. Its the only diet that's worked for me and I'm having a hard time affording 5 packs as it is - can't believe you guys are only having 3! what a huge difference in protocol.

Have you considered a consult with another IP coach? I would. Sounds like your being gouged and bullied??!!

BCGirl 09-14-2011 03:38 PM

It's not something a coach would tell me, but I wish I knew to register here instead of lurking for my first 2 weeks.

I had 27 pounds to lose, and now by the time I can have a signature to track my weight, I'll be almost done. Good when the problem with a program is you lose weight quickly!

luvfree 09-19-2011 11:23 PM

I wish I had been told that your vision may very well get blurry and change for about a few weeks due to lowered sugar levels....I am insulin resistant, my coaches know that, but not mention this side affect that results for lowered blood sugar levels...

dinki 12-23-2011 06:37 PM

This is a great tread ..I have a great coach I am about to start my 3 rd week so I probably haven't had time to collect this much info.

GloverParker 12-23-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvfree (Post 4039436)
I wish I had been told that your vision may very well get blurry and change for about a few weeks due to lowered sugar levels....I am insulin resistant, my coaches know that, but not mention this side affect that results for lowered blood sugar levels...

OMG, it's low blood sugar! I was depressed in thinking that my formerly perfect vision was beginning to fail -- I guess I don't need to schedule that optomistrist appt :)

miasmama 12-26-2011 11:15 PM

WOW! I feel so saddened by what I am reading in a lot of these posts about the information, or lack of information, that people are receiving from their coaches! I completed the IP protocol and was then asked to become a coach. It has been such a thrill to help people achieve their goals!!
What I am not understanding is how people are saying things are at their "coaches discretion". We have a clinic manual that tells us exactly how the protocol is to be followed. There is not a section in there that says I can alter things as I see fit!! If there are situations that come up and I cannot find an answer in the clinic manual, I then go to our regional rep.
Restricted items are allowed from day one...one per day. If someone starts at over 240 lbs. it is stated that they will need extra packets per day. I did learn at an IP seminar with the CEO that is someone's weight loss is stalled to pull their restricted items for a week to "shock" the body. 99% of the time this results in a good weight loss the next week.
Are you not being given the "How your body may initially respond" packet as well as the instruction sheet for preparing the foods? If not, it sounds like you are not receiving what you should be! The "how your body may respond" discusses headaches, constipation and many other vital information someone needs to know prior to starting IP. I tell my dieters that they must read this prior to starting, as well as we go over it at the consultation! There is also a packet that discusses "women's issues" such as menstrual cycles and hair loss. I had hair loss and used Nioxin shampoo and conditioner and it worked great within a few weeks!
I have dieters with family/friends telling me of coaches not allowing restricted items, or not giving them the updated Phase 1 sheet that now requires 8 oz of lean protein etc. and it just frustrates me! Why coaches/clinics are not just following the clinic manual and updating dieters when new information comes up is beyond me!
Yes, this is a job but personally I try to remember how I felt while doing the protocol and do for my dieters as I wish was done for me:) Good luck everyone, you can DO this!!!

4kiddos 12-27-2011 07:21 PM

[QUOTE=miasmama;4146834]There is also a packet that discusses "women's issues" such as menstrual cycles and hair loss. I had hair loss and used Nioxin shampoo and conditioner and it worked great within a few weeks!
QUOTE]

My coach didn't discuss any women issues with me at my first consulatation (thank Goodness I had read the forums and new about BC issues). When I went in for my first WI and told her that I had started a 2nd TOM for the month she looked at me like I was crazy. She had never heard of such a thing and then she was like, Oh yeah your BC may be affected, be careful. Hello, a week later. I am so thankful for this site and all the information. I wouldn't know half the things I have learned if it wasn't for all the experienced people on here.

Debbie64 01-02-2012 10:01 PM

Hi, new hear and love seeing all the questions. The one that did not get answered that I saw was about exercise. My coach told me not to exercise at all in phase 1. I have been on IP for 7 weeks and have not felt this good in a long while. I have about 10 more lbs to go. I eat one restricted item a day, since day one and all but one week have lost 2-4 lbs/week.
I am a RN who works 4 10 hour days but do more standing then walking. So I would love the feedback about exercise.
Deb

wuv2bloved 01-02-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kara (Post 4153739)
The more I read about IP the more I think it's DANGEROUS. How can people who have absolutely no training in nutrition and weight loss be invited to become coaches? @miasmama, I mean no disrespect to you, but how are you even remotely qualified to help people lose weight healthily if you have no training in nutrition, exercise, biology, etc.

Based on everything I've read on this forum I do believe that the IP program should be illegal. The information they give out on nutrition, body composition, and health is criminally negligent.

Just as an example .. hair loss and nail issues during this kind of weight loss are due to the fact that you're not consuming enough healthy fats. ON a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) you MUST consume some kind of Omega supplement (fish oil is best) in order to offset the negative effects of the lack of fats.

All of the programs have to go through a dr's office so there is some type of dr that can be turned too. It is recommended that you take Omega's while on the program. Having been on the program she knows first hand how it works. I am sure there is an official training program you have to go through. You can't just open a clinic with no training straight off of the street. I myself am interested in starting my own clinic. I do not have medical training but it will be through a dr. There are steps that have to be taken to become certified. If you think this is an unsafe program then don't follow it. There are many people who have been successful on this program and have kept it off. It is no different from any other diet except a little more strict. Every diet has side effects No diet doesn't have any. Everything we do from eating "healthy" or "counting" calories have side effect. **** listening to loud music has side effects or eating fried food. It is each and everyone's OWN decision to decide if they want to deal with the side effect or not.

wuv2bloved 01-02-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kara (Post 4153767)
Actually, that's not true. :) Sorry... but it's just not.

Everything we eat, some how some way has a side effect on someone, jus saying

JellyMae87 01-02-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

The more I read about IP the more I think it's DANGEROUS. How can people who have absolutely no training in nutrition and weight loss be invited to become coaches? @miasmama, I mean no disrespect to you, but how are you even remotely qualified to help people lose weight healthily if you have no training in nutrition, exercise, biology, etc.

Based on everything I've read on this forum I do believe that the IP program should be illegal. The information they give out on nutrition, body composition, and health is criminally negligent.

Just as an example .. hair loss and nail issues during this kind of weight loss are due to the fact that you're not consuming enough healthy fats. ON a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) you MUST consume some kind of Omega supplement (fish oil is best) in order to offset the negative effects of the lack of fats.

Well This is obviously YOUR opinion... and other will disagree with you... ALL of us women and men are adults. And if someone feels that this is "DANGEROUS" they they obviously won't follow the protocol? Correct??

We are ALL on this forum for support, and this is where IP people get their support, So I don't understand why you have to come in and talk "down" on this protocol when it has changed many of our lives...

Determinedat47 01-02-2012 11:43 PM

The Ideal Protein diet protocol includes omegaIII supplements twice a day as well as 2 teaspoons of olive oil per day as well as calcium(lots) , magnesium and trace minerals. Have Bern eating this way for a year- through all the phases but continue very low carb with continued supplements and my hair and nails have never been thicker, shinier or more healthy.

Endless Dieter 01-02-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Where is all this negatively coming from? Just asking?