Old 06-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/145

Height: 5'11"

Thumbs up IP Meeting Monday, Starting Tuesday

Hi everyone - just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Katie and I'll be starting IP this week. I'm excited to get started, but I'm also pretty nervous. I've been sort of a carb addict, so I hope I can stick with this! I just learned about IP a few weeks ago from a coworker - I've been amazed at her weight loss so far, and after 'lurking' a bit here I've been inspired by all of your success as well!

There's a lot of great info on here and you guys seem like a welcoming and motivating group! I'm looking forward to being able to contribute to your discussions and share successes!

Just so I know what to expect, what are the first few days like? It sounds like it can be difficult in the beginning, but I'm curious about what some of your experiences have been. Was it just cravings or do you get sick/weak, have headaches? Also, can anyone tell me how to get a signature section for posts? Can't seem to find it..

Thanks!

Katie
kplus80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

I think each one of us had a different first few days, some more rough than others. For me it took me almost 6 days to get into ketosis but I had a high fever and was sick on day 3 or so (not related, I don't think) so I felt pretty crummy for a week. Keep with it and you WILL see results!
xanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/128/135 Started IP on 5/10

Height: 5' 4.5"

It took me 4 days to get into ketosis. I remember walking up a hill with the dog on day 4 and feeling so drained. Day 5, I woke up great. Felt amazing after 2-3 weeks, when your body really starts to kick in gear.

The only time you don't feel great is when you cheat. I went to a restaurant once and they didn't follow my instructions and I got something I shouldn't have -- kicked me out of ketosis and I felt like garbage for 2 days. And hungry. Really hungry. Not worth it. Overall, I didn't react as badly as some, but did feel a difference.

Couple of things, that I'm sure you've heard:

*Make sure you get enough salt -- you're not eating processed foods that have a lot of sodium in them, so you start to get far less. Salt your food and take some sea salt with you when you eat out. If you aren't getting enough, you'll get a headache. Drink some water with salt in it and you'll feel better right away.

*Check out Jordanna's Tips for Newbies string, its in the sticky section. It helped me a lot.

*Follow the protocal exactly -- it works, but it's really specific.

*Be prepared, pack food when you travel, and don't feel strange about asserting about your food when you go out. I've found when I'm with a group who doesn't know, I can easily take the server aside and tell her I have food allergies and don't want to make a big deal of them in front of everyone. Restaurants are really careful with food allergies. Learned that the hard way.

Good luck!
JC
JessicaCourez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #4  
Ratfancy

S/C/G: 155/155/145

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplus80 View Post
Hi everyone - just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Katie and I'll be starting IP this week. I'm excited to get started, but I'm also pretty nervous. I've been sort of a carb addict, so I hope I can stick with this! I just learned about IP a few weeks ago from a coworker - I've been amazed at her weight loss so far, and after 'lurking' a bit here I've been inspired by all of your success as well! Katie
I was tired and spacey the first 4 days - and my left arm hurt (strange - no one else reported this to my knowledge). After that I just kept going, had moments of stupor at work, but eventually adjusted. I try to eat as many vegetables as possible to get some fuel for my brain when I have to think at work! It gets better - and the overall benefit is that the carb cravings go away. Sort of like living as I imagine a normal person without a weight problem would conduct their life - not obsessed with the next carb!
ratfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:32 AM   #5  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplus80 View Post
Hi everyone Also, can anyone tell me how to get a signature section for posts? Can't seem to find it..

Thanks!

Katie

Hi, Katie, and welcome. If you look up, on this page, you'll see "quick links". Click on it, and then on "Sig Weight Tracker". Just enter your information and continue.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

WELCOME KATIE This forum is the greatest ... lots of support, love, encouragement and information. IP is the greatest!!!!!
Journeysend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Welcome to the forum and Thanks for introducing yourself! You are going to love the results you get with IP and this forum is WONDERFUL! The people are all so supportive and helpful. We love hearing about NSV (non scale victories) and your WI (weigh in) successes too!

Don't forget to take your measurements when you start! You will be surprised how much you change in measurements even when the scale starts to slow down in movement.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261.8/201.6/185

Height: 5'4.5

Welcome Katie! I didn't feel bad at all when I started but had begun cutting back on carbs beforehand as I knew I'd be in for it otherwise. That's my biggest advice. Also, if you are a soda drinker, you might try to start cutting it out as well. I go to Sonic all the time and get water with lemon wedges, it has helped me out so many times. Other that that, I think you will get the best info by following the regular weekly threads and reading old posts as well. Good luck and if you have any questions, jump in and ask!!

Oh, and the weight tracker...you have to be a member for so long and have so many posts before you can get one. I know I was chomping at the bit to get mine, but like all little good chicks, had to be patient.
motiv8edmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #9  

Welcome

Just checking in to tell you : If you're on birth control, be carefull and use condom. IP mess with our hormones, so you really need to be careful about that
1FCuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/145

Height: 5'11"

Thanks all for the welcome and for the advice!

My coach did mention the birth control needs tonight, but thanks for the warning!
kplus80 is offline   Reply With Quote