Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #16  
Just watch me ...

I think that you can see that, while there are some similarities, people have different approaches. You have to find your best fit.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 270/134.8/135

Height: 5'2"

I lost 135 pounds and have kept it off for the last 6ish months.

I did Weight Watchers - followed the program, exercised a moderate amount. Ate all the points every day and used all the weekly and activity points. Never cut anything out except regular pop.

That's it.

Oh yeah and I never gave up - I am of the mind that you either want to be successful or you don't, so find something and stick with it. Consistency is key.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #18  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Yikes. It must be just me, but the first post brought out my Momma Lion Mode! Don't be so snarky, especially when asking for advice! 3FC has been awesome for so many people during the whole journey. You came on here and basically told everyone how annoying we are, but to help you anyway, in your very demanding ( and demeaning) terms.

Good luck on YOUR JOURNEY.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 162/154.0/115

Height: 5'4"

Glad it's not just me, chickiechicks. Couldn't help but feel offended, those goal stories mean SO much to me, all of them. Every single one. Those posts got me through days when "concise" weight loss facts could not, as this journey is SO emotional for so many. Felt like this was a snotty way to ask for advice.

Maybe I'm sensitive.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #20  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieChicks View Post
Yikes. It must be just me, but the first post brought out my Momma Lion Mode! Don't be so snarky, especially when asking for advice! 3FC has been awesome for so many people during the whole journey. You came on here and basically told everyone how annoying we are, but to help you anyway, in your very demanding ( and demeaning) terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian5 View Post
Glad it's not just me, chickiechicks. Couldn't help but feel offended, those goal stories mean SO much to me, all of them. Every single one. Those posts got me through days when "concise" weight loss facts could not, as this journey is SO emotional for so many. Felt like this was a snotty way to ask for advice.

Maybe I'm sensitive.
Totally agree with you both. I was offended but refrained from saying so. Perhaps I should have spoken up in a different manner than my original post

Goal stories helped me see the emotional side of weight loss—which is probably the most important side. I think that the more people realize that weight loss isn't as much physical as it is mental and emotional then the "easier" it will be.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

To the 3 before me, agreed! A lot of those goal stories are inspiring enough to make me cry! Definitely what gets me back on track too...

Last edited by tonimaroni2; 06-12-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #22  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Well, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. The tone was definitely in the "I dont' want to read other people's crap, just give me the low down" I cannot deny that, but if I look past that, she just wants to know what works so that she can start her journey and do so successfully - not just taking the weight off, but keeping it off.

However, I will say this, Anyone who is 100 pounds overweight or more didn't get fat by eating a bit too much. There is almost always mental stuff going on too and I hope the OP realizes that and will learn to address that when she gets to it (as she will). A person who isn't dealing with some mental issues with food wouldn't balloon up to over 100 pounds overweight - myself included.

BUT... what takes the weight off and keeps it off?

What's already been mentioned - portion control - either by counting calories, using WW or some other system. Exercise, while not necessary, helps move the process along faster for some and will result in a nicer looking body, healthier body and will help with keeping up the metabolism.

Then for me - the key is getting enough sleep and controlling carb portions. I'm not at goal yet, so I can't address how long I've kept it off, but I have been at it for nearly 18 months and haven't gained it back and have found ways to keep the weight off on months when dieting isn't really easy.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #23  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieChicks View Post

I totally agree!! I love that everyone is so open about all of the ups and downs that they have gone through. The stories and advice give a more human side to weight loss. You have to be willing to do a lot of research to find out what works and I think that this website and all of it's users has been more help than anything else I have ever read on some website. I learn new things everyday! Maybe you're just a "TYPE A" personality but they way you posted came off as rude.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Agreed. OP, in the future when asking for advice you might want to check your tone. If you hadn't come off as condescending as you did, you might have gotten more responses.. But then you'd have to weed through them, so maybe that was the point.

Last edited by djs06; 06-12-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

(I think sometimes tone does not come across as intended, so I'm willing to give OP the benefit of the doubt here.)

I've lost 117 lbs since Feb of 2011. I'm not done losing yet, but haven't plateaued or regained.

My plan is simple:

I count calories every day and stay under my cap (currently 1400 base + some exercise cals when I earn them) 99% of the time. I eat high fiber (35g) and average 45% carb, 30% fat, 25% protein. I eat whatever I want within these parameters.

I generally exercise 3-4x a week (but occasionally fall off the wagon and don't exercise at all for weeks/months at a time).
Old 06-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #26  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Honestly, I don't even feel like answering this but I will give you the benefit of the doubt and spare you my "long" story even though I'm not at goal yet...

Eat less, drink more water and exercise. There. As simple as it seems, that's all there is to it.

Other than that, maybe your "rushing through" personality is what will NOT work for you. Try being patient and finding what works for you.

And no offence, but you'll find a lot of inspiration and most probably one of those "long annoying" stories, will hit closer to home for you and you'll be able to lose weight the right way.

Anywho, I sincerely wish you the best of luck on your journey.

And for the ladies with the goal stories, I thank you for posting them, as you have been my motivation, and I read every single one, from top to bottom. Thank you.

Last edited by caramelkitty; 06-12-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:52 AM   #27  
feelin' good

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5' 7.5"

I have just completed my third week of changing my life to eat healthy and get healthy. I want to thank all of the courageous ladies (and men) who have shared their intimate stories with all of us. They have been touching and inspiring! Bless you.
I have lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks. I calorie count 1200-1500 calories (with calorie cycling). I make my calories count my eating healthy (lean protein, lots of veggies, a little fruit, whole grains). I also write down everything I eat so that I can "see" what I ate each day. I do not expect to do this forever. This is to help me learn about portion sizes etc.
Good luck on your journey and know that there is a lot of wisdom here.

Last edited by Emama; 06-13-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #28  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

The bulleted points don't really tell much about me but here goes:

* 145 pounds lost

* I've kept it off for 3 years and eight months

* I counted calories and was kind of strict with myself.

So much more went into it but it sounds like you just want the bottom line so I hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #29  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

* 130 lbs lost (before I got pregnant, anyway)
* Maintained 4 years (again, before getting pregnant...baby is only 4 weeks old, so I'm not at goal at the moment)
* Ate less
* Exercised more.

In my experience, most people know HOW to lose weight, technically (that whole "eat less food, exercise more regularly" thing), so the goal stories are useful in that they tell you HOW normal people actually executed those things in their lives. In my experience, weight loss is one of those things that is easy in theory and difficult in practice.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

I for one love the "lengthy" stories - they tell me that I'm not alone in the battles I've faced and the problems and ups & downs I've had along the way and that's somehow reassuring. We all know how, but actually doing it is much harder in reality.

Bullet points? They don't tell you much:

- 70lb
- a year
- Ate healthier, moved more.

And, as some else so perfectly put it:

Never. Give. Up.
Closed Thread