General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-30-2006, 08:52 PM   #1  
I want a smaller wardrobe

S/C/G: 195.2/151/144

Default salt

How in the heck do you all get your salt in? I am not a big fan of salt but I have been sprinkling salt on my foods as much as I can (whenever I happen to remember it). I decided on Friday to measure out my salt and put it in a condiment dish so I can get pinches of it throughout the day. I'm not even close to getting it all in.

Do you have the same problem? The booklet says we need it for the potassium but do we really need that much salt?

Sorry if I seem whiney.
merem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:33 PM   #2  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I usually don't get all my salt in either. I have had problems with low potassium so I have potassium pills plus some in my multivitamin.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

Hi, I don't do LAWL but I was just curious as to why they ask you to eat salt. Normally on any diet they tell you to stay away from it. A lot of sodium isn't good for the body, it makes you retain fluid and can affect your health.

If your diet needs potassium why don't you try bananas or prunes, they're both high in it.

I was just wondering.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:37 PM   #4  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

LAWL wants you to get in Morton's Lite salt (which I assume Merem was referring to) it's just for the potassium --with so much water to drink it's no doubt we would be low. I rarely get mine in but try to when I cook, but I have never measured it out. I sometimes take a potassium pill for good measure--I've only had a couple of episodes of leg cramps since starting LAWL, but they are not uncommon for me either.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/220/140

Height: 5'7

about the whole sodium thing~ ok even if you eat ham or anything high in sodium, except for the fact that you retain water which ups the scales arent you still losing weight? i just never got why we cant have the sodium if were gonna lose weight anyway, its not like sodium prevents weight loss, the fat goes away its just the water that stays,...i think its so that when you weigh in you show a change...but realistically if you stayed on a high sodium diet u'd still lose weight right?
aggie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 199/191/179

Height: 5' 5-1/2"

I never measure out my salt, neither. But if I'm eating foods that are higher in salt, I won't go out of my way to add the Morton's Lite to them or that meal. I will do the sprinkling over my veggies with dinner or something usually.
dolphn545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:02 AM   #7  
1dayatatime(on LAWL)

S/C/G: 262/182/160

If I dont get any salt in my diet.I get leg cramps really bad.When I remeber to have my Mortons the leg cramps go away.
angelica1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:36 AM   #8  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

Aggie, I think you would definitely still lose weight even if you were on a high sodium diet, but it would be harder to tell and I think it would be slower. All of our organs and systems work best when we are hydrated, so maybe it helps our metabolism burn more efficiently to be hydrated??? You're the fucha-doctah, girl! You know more than me for sure.
Dairy Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #9  
LAWL/gold since oct. 2005

Height: 5'8

I think you need to see how your body reacts to the weight loss. I never use my mortons salt and I have never had a problem with leg cramps. They say rapid weight loss can cause a loss in potassium and thus result in leg cramps.

Since i have cut back on salt so much I notice it so much more in foods now. I don't like it anymore. It burns my mouth since I am not used to it.
ljackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:54 AM   #10  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Lisa, I am the same way. Food tastes way too salty to me now. I ordered meatloaf in a restaurant a while back, and it tasted like they had spilled the whole salt shaker in it. It was horrible. DH tasted it and said it tasted fine to him. Weird.

This is interesting. I measured out my salt, and I am going to try this today, too.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #11  

I take a potassium supplement instead, the Lite Salt has a weird aftertaste to me if I use too much.

I also read that potassium actually keeps your cells flushed out or from retaining water, it does the opposite of sodium, in other words.

A.
pinkflamingo68 is offline   Reply With Quote