General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 11:56 AM   #46  

Default Not a great week

Well, today was my weigh in day and gain two pounds. pretty much a blow to my ego
after losing 4lb last week 17 in total. now 15 in total. It has been a stressful week.
My horses got out and I thought someone has stoled them. Ran around town looking for
them found out county had them. It costed me to get them out. My neighbors won't leave
the fence alone so I locked them up on the other side of the field. Looking for some land
closer to home to put them on. Mean while I think I will be selling out. So I am going through
high stress over this mess. I sent one of my horses with someone else cause she just needs
to be train to be rideable. Maybe it will straighten a few kinks out of her.

I come home and parts of the street has been under construction found out I couldn't cross the
construction over a water line break. Talking about a mud fest. I blew my mind and went to
Luby's for a bit. Figure it would be a place for me to spend an hour on top of that had not had a m
meal all day.

DANGER ZONE! Wish I was as smart as my mom and took the bake fish or such but NOOO
I didn't do that. I had a nice BIG FATTING MEAL!!!! a NICE SALTY FATTING MEAL. I figure blowing
one day wouldn't hurt but it must of have. or that and those potatos all week.

I had a bake potato all week and I am thinking. I must not weigh it right cause it says Med.
potato 124g. Well I put they potato on the scale and the silly thing weigh down 400g I cut
one in half one day and it weigh down that much but the rest of the time I didn't I ate a whole
baked potato. So I imagine I messed up there to. GRRRRRRRRRR

Oh I hate these two pounds I gain. GRRRR!!
back on the wagon today!!!
Old 05-11-2001, 03:15 PM   #47  
Dreamer, Music-Maker

Default Howdy!

Hey gang,

I have been lurking for a while and post regularly on the "Alternative Group" thread, but since I am now a calorie counter (thanks, Doc), I thought I might come and crash with you guys too. A couple of questions for you seasoned counters: how do you break your calories up in terms of carbs/fat/protein AND, do you eat small meals throughout the day or a couple of big ones? I find that I tend to have a massive breakfast and use up more than half of my calories right away. This works for me, as I will usually have a later-morning breakfast (10:30-ish) and then dinner around 6:00, but in terms of my metabolism, I am trying to figure out what works. Any ideas? I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Thanks!

Linds
(NevadaChick)
Old 05-11-2001, 08:17 PM   #48  

everyones body is different on this sort of thing, but i lost 65 pounds in 1/2 year on ww without ever counting calories in non starchy veggies incl. onions. i gained most bk, but it wasnt from not counting those calories.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:26 AM   #49  

Default the same

I think I must have hit that plateau people talk about;no weight lost this week which means I only lost 1 pound in the past 2 weeks.Well I am not going to let it get me down and will keep counting and try to be more active.
I will do it this time!
Old 05-14-2001, 10:32 AM   #50  

Default Questions on Calorie Counting

I have read on I think Ivillage that you can do what they call a jumpstart to your calorie counting program which is basically low calories 1000-1300 for a week or too? Does anyone have any information or even an opinion on that.

My next question is about calorie ranges. If I want to healthfully lose 2lbs a week, how do I calculate what I'm eating to how much I work out and so on. I work out 5 to 6 days a week. Any suggestions?
Old 05-14-2001, 12:42 PM   #51  

yes, 1000 cals is too little. you will shut down your metabolism.1400-1500 should give ya a 2 p loss.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:35 PM   #52  

Default another book

I'm just browsing here...FEISTYFILLY, I love that handle! Just a suggestion for another book that I use all the time, (also availible from http://www.half.com) MAKING THE CASE FOR YOURSELF by Susan Estrich.

I began losing weight in 1995 and have now lost 65 pounds with a few more to go. I've gone from a size 20 to an 8/10.

Best wishes to all of you.
Old 05-17-2001, 06:25 AM   #53  

Default been doing alright.

hi all, sounds like people are really progressing around here. i dont come here so often now, cause i am posting in diettalk.com, on no diet approach board and my weekly weigh is in there too. i slowly changing eating habits and not really counting calories, just trying to eat less of my favorite foods. it is going really slow, but i will hang in there. good luck to all. Debi
Old 05-18-2001, 12:22 PM   #54  

Default Lost 4lb

Woo hoo! I was bum when I gain four pounds last weekend and lost 4LB this weekend. Wow
I'm not sure how that happen though but I am right on my calculations this week. I wish I
quit sea sawing like this for the last two weeks. kinda of worries me. I thought maybe I was
starving my body last week at around 1200 calories so I stepped up to 1400 and got some
weight loss a going.

Our body is a mystery.

Well in total I have lost 19Lb and I got 101 to go.

What a success

I am worried about this end of the month tho. My birthday is just around the corner and I
know there is going to be some fatting cake with high calories some where.

There is a Mississippi Mud Cake due to my honor of my birthday (More like horror)
Wondering how am I going to balance my weight out of that day! GRRRR!!!

Gotta do some calculateing to maintain on my b-day and get back on the wagon to lose after
sure don't wanna gain.
Old 05-18-2001, 01:29 PM   #55  

congrats!! my advice is dont worry bout it- ENJOY your birthday&other special occasions! even if you gain- so what? just promise yoursdelf youll get back to it after. thats what i do.
Old 05-18-2001, 01:52 PM   #56  

Default Count me in, too.

I am another calorie counter. I don't buy into any of the other diet programs, because they simply do not work for me. My whole family has started eating healthier. We started simple, by just eating less of the "normal" foods. Now we read labels and I keep a journal at www.fitday.com. It makes it very easy to keep up with the calories.

FeistyFilly: I looked for a lite recipe for your Mississippi Mud Cake, and it can be done, but, it's your birthday. Enjoy!!

F.Y.I. for those that don't know me. I started relearning to eat on April 23rd. I have lost 20 pounds so far. I have learned over the years that "low fat" most of the time translate into "high calories". Not always, but a lot on cookies and other treats. So I don't even bother to buy those items. If I want a treat, I eat the real thing. Though, it is not very often that I get a treat. I really like eating healthy. One thing it has done, is increase the different dishes we eat. It is easy to fall back on the same old meals week in and week out. Now we look for new things to eat. My husband likes the challenge of creating new dishes that are healthy. (He does most of the cooking since he is a stay at home dad.) I love our new life.

Well, enough of my blabbing. I am just so excited about being healthy once and for all.

231/211/170
5'10"

Last edited by Nettie1971; 05-18-2001 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2001, 06:21 PM   #57  

congrats on that loss! thats awesome! i just wanna say i agree with you on having "real" treats and that the previous poster should enjoy her bday!!
Old 05-18-2001, 06:42 PM   #58  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Controlled cheating/Free day

Just wanted to add my two cents (when DON'T I want to?!?).

If you're staying in control of your eating most of the time, an occasional treat won't hurt you...and new studies coming out are beginning to show that taking a 'day off' from low-cal eating can even help your weight loss.

As you probably know, if you keep your calories too low your body will go into starvation mode - and hang on to every fat cell and calorie as best it can. "Tricking" your metabolism by having a 'day off from dieting' regularly apparently can keep your body from thinking it's starving.

Right now, I'm on Week 4 of the Body for Life Challenge - the 'free day' is part of the program. Every Sunday, I give myself permission to eat whatever I want - That doesn't mean total out of control binging though. I call it "controlled cheating". I'll have something special - usually go out for a good meal (Mexican food has been a favorite - I'm not talking whole beans, brown rice, etc. - I'm talking combo platter and refried beans with a margarita on the side!) with my husband. It gives both of us something to look forward to - our Sunday "date".

Just a thought...take care!
Old 05-18-2001, 06:52 PM   #59  

great job fiestyfilly, sorry if i spelled it wrong. 4 lbs way to go.
mrs.jim, sounds like your controlled cheatingday works well for you. good idea
Old 05-18-2001, 09:41 PM   #60  

Default To Nettie

Hi Nettie! Congratulations on your great weight loss - 20 pounds in less than a month! Goodness! If I may ask, how many calories are you eating per day? Also, have you been exercising a lot? I'm roughly the same starting weight as you were (221 lbs.) and whatever you're doing, I'd like to do too!!!! Teach me! Teach me!

Thanks a bunch!
Jennifer
Closed Thread