General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 09:02 PM   #1  

Default has anyone tried the rice diet

i have to lose a few pounds before i go for a major op in 2 weeks, someone suggested the atkins which i did for 2 days and lost 9lbs but having been a vegetarian for most of my life i found eating meat was just too hard and i felt ill the whole time. My niece who is a doctor suggested the rice diet as a lot of her patients have lost a lot of weight on it and it includes heaps of fruit which i love. Im starting it today but has anyone had any success on it?

thanks heaps

chezza
Old 05-13-2003, 09:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

What does this rice diet consist of? Why don't you write up a bit of the plan, and then I'll let you know what I think!
Aphil
Old 05-13-2003, 12:12 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

The Rice Diet has been around for years actually. It was started in the 30's at Duke University, which has a live-in program. Their website is http://www.ricedietprogram.com/

Actually, just last year the university severed their ties with the Rice Diet...here's an article from the Duke University website...
Quote:
Duke to cut ties with Rice Diet
By Kevin Lees

Breaking bonds with a world-renowned and sometimes infamous weightloss center, Medical Center officials confirmed this week that they intend to end their affiliation with the Rice Diet program as of July 31.

The diet center has treated 18,000 patients, including many celebrities, since its inception in 1939, but officials said an increasingly distant relationship led to the move to eliminate funding and other connections. Dr. Francis Neelon, associate professor of endocrinology, metabolism and nutrition, who is associated with the program, said that both he and the center's medical director Dr. Robert Rosati, hope to continue the program independently and make a smooth transition.

"It was a bit of a surprise," he said. "The biggest thing [is that] we want to make sure things keep going exactly as they were before."

The program, founded by the late Dr. Walter Kempner in 1939 and originally designed to treat high blood pressure and kidney disease, brought attention to Durham as a dieting Mecca. Today's version of the program--located in northwestern Durham--is a strict diet that allows patients to consume between 800 and 1,000 calories per day with little or no sodium.

Dr. Ralph Snyderman, chancellor for health affairs and president and CEO of the Duke University Health System, said the Medical Center would not easily find a charismatic leader to take the program over.

"[We had] no obvious replacement, since we have been very distant from the Rice Diet, since Dr. [Walter] Kempner stepped down [as director]," he said. "We felt it best not to bring it back into the institution. It's been distant from us for well over a decade."

A story in the Herald-Sun of Durham also quoted an unnamed Duke spokesperson Tuesday, who said that one of the reasons for Duke's decision was because Rosati, an associate professor of cardiology, was retiring. But Neelon said Duke's decision prompted both his and Rosati's retirement.

"You always think about [retiring], but we hadn't made any plans to do it," Neelon said.

He said Rosati had been in discussions with Medical Center officials about how to pay for certain elements of the program, but that disaffiliation had never been seriously considered until the program received an e-mail from Dr. Barton Haynes, chair of the Department of Medicine, announcing the decision.

Neelon also said that the remaining staff numbers only around eight or 10. Duke employee benefits, such as the tuition benefit, will no longer be available, but Neelon and Rosati have offered positions for anyone who wanted to stay.

Neelon did not know exactly how much the program's operations cost, but Snyderman said the program was close to a break-even venture.

Rosati was on vacation and could not be reached. Haynes and DUHS Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer William Donelan were both out of town as well and could not be reached for comment.

The Rice Diet has always had doubters in the medical community. "A lot of people looked askance at this, and the fact that [Kempner] was able to undo a variably lethal condition was met with great skepticism across the country and here too," Neelon said.

Snyderman said that although the diet works for many people, the extremely intense restrictions ensure a high rate of recidivism and that many patients regain the weight they lose while in Durham.

The Rice Diet also made negative headlines in the 1990s after former client Sharon Ryan sued both Kempner and the University for sexual abuse. The University and Kempner's estate formally settled the case in 1998.
Personally, I would be leery of the Rice Diet and diets in general that tend to focus on ONE food - because they really don't teach you to eat 'normally'. From the little I've read about this diet, the protein is low and the carbs are high. Not really good in the long run (as I know from personal experience).

Notice that I've highlighted one sentence in the article above - "a high rate of recidivism" - this means basically that many people cannot stay on this highly restrictive program for very long and regain their weight.

When looking at a nutrition plan...the important thing isn't how much weight you lose in how short a time...it's keeping the weight off - being able to make permanent lifestyle changes. You always hear the phrase "diets don't work". The reason for this IMO, is that when a person has a diet mindset, they feel it's temporary...once they go OFF the diet...that's when the pounds come pouring back on - and they bring some of their buddies with them The key to permanent HEALTHY weight loss is to make lifestyle changes that you can maintain for a lifetime!

Over in the Ladies who Lift Forum (right under the "Exercise" forum here at 3FC) Meg started a terrific thread about her one-year anniversary of reaching her goal weight of 135 pounds (after starting at 257 pounds). Definitely worth a looksee!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=27552
Old 05-13-2003, 09:14 PM   #4  

After reading that, I would have to say that I wouldn't recommend this plan for the mere factor alone of it containing only 800-1000 calories per day...that in itself would be hard to stick with and can cause terrible slowing of the metabolism-and that doesn't even go into the other aspects of the diet-such as the food restrictions.
I am actually surprised that a doctor would recommend a plan so low in calories-a better range is 1500-1800-making sure you always eat at least 1200 calories per day-below that you are going to have a heck of a time getting your basic nutritional needs met, and your body will go into "starvation mode" and conserve calories.
Aphil
Old 05-15-2003, 01:40 AM   #5  
Empress/Queen

I remember the Rice Diet from long, long ago. Don't really have anything to add except I agree it is nutritionally skewed and inadequate. Rice itself (brown rice) is really healthy for most people (and delicious with tofu stir fry and the like or even mixed with stewed fruit), but I think one reason why people lost on the Rice Diet is the lack of variety caused them to lose interest in food.

It would seem that you'd need to get in lots of good nutrition in the weeks before surgery, so would it be possible to use a good quality protein supplement for some of your calories?

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:17 AM   #6  

Angry hi

CHEEZA. I have heard of the rice diet . my friend was on it and did very good and its a good one for fast wt loss. it never caused any problems either. her dr. put her on it.. so i would think it would be ok... its what ever works for us we are all different. so good luck. i had forgotten about it may give it a try myself.ha well have a good day.. LaDean
Old 05-21-2003, 08:40 AM   #7  

We need to remember that just because a doctor said it is alright does not mean it is...there is a doctor in our area everyone calls the "diet doctor" and he will prescribe speed types of diet pills to anyone who walks in his door without looking into your medical history for heart problems, high blood pressure, or other potential complications...he will prescribe them even if you look like you could possibly have an eating type disorder!
As far as doctors go-my doctor with my first child about killed me during delivery-and after that performed a surgical procedure on me without anesthesia-but that is another story altogether. A degree does not make you a good doctor-just the same as getting a license does not always mean you will get the same perfect haircut from every hairdresser in town. Some people are always better in their chosen profession than others.
There are lots of reasons that a weight loss diet should be more than 800-1200 calories. First, extremely fast weight loss can cause gallstones. Going on an extremely low calorie diet can and will slow your metabolism, which is not what you want when you are trying to lose weight, and such a low calorie diet is very hard to get all your basic nutritional needs met-so you will end up with a lack of protein, or calcium or some other necessary nutrient(s), and lastly-going on these hard to stick with fad diets can make you lose weight, but you are not very likely to keep it off for life-which is the true goal. Who wants to get thin really quickly, but then this time next year be fat again? It is much better to lose it slowly while learning good habits, and then keep it off for life.
I totally agree with everyone being different, but there are a lot of good plans out there like BFL, WW, and many others to choose from that are more nutritionally sound.
Aphil
Old 10-13-2003, 11:45 AM   #8  

I would be interested in hearing from people that have attended and lost weight on the Duke program. I am thinking of enrolling because I have been eating 1100-1200C/day - lots of fruit and veg, protein with every meal, Carbs only at dinner (sometimes lunch) and walking 3-4 days a week and have not lost an inch or a pound ! I am desperate right now and as a life-long vegetarian am even considering Atkins. Wanted feedback on Duke program as a Christmas gift to myself.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:09 PM   #9  

Hello hoochiemama...I too have considered giving the Duke program a try. My only concern is that with the approach being such a drastic calorie restriction and also NO SALT..What will happen when I come home and I start eating the salt?...Also not sure how much MENTAL help I would receive in this program?..because I have emotional eating issues. i do know that there is a book that was written years ago..based on this diet...can't remember the exact name off hand..but will look for it in detail for you...let me know?

Their is another program that from what I can gather on the web...does give more mental help..It is called The Structure House..you may want to give it a look?.... It is also in NC....Both are very expensive but with structure house I think you eat more "normal" food? and their are more behavorial classes.
Closed Thread