General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 01:24 AM   #1  
Coop class of '82

Thumbs down All-inclusive Meal Replacement Thread (Slim-Fast etc.)

Welcome to everyone following the Slim-Fast plan or other meal replacement plans! PLEASE no "Slim-Fast bashing", to each their own, and this is our choice. I am following the Slim-Fast plan to remove 55 lbs and I find it convenient, tasty and low cost. I would enjoy hearing from others having success with this diet plan, so come on in!

~Kim
Old 06-14-2003, 02:52 PM   #2  

Default Slimfast, I'm In

Hello All !!! Thanks for starting this thread, it's a great idea. I haven't been using slimfast that long, consistently anyway, until this week. It sure helps to know I'm not alone. I am 5'10, I weigh 280pds and 30yrs young. This is the first time I've ever said how much I weigh to anyone. I think, no I know, I was in denial. I can't blame it on the baby anymore, she'll be one in July and I can't keep saying well I use to be slim and when I get ready I'll be slim again and I can't keeping blaming the dry cleaners everytime my suits fit to tight. Finally, this week I looked at myself from the side angle in my dressing mirror, turned face forward and excepted the fact that ,"I am fat", to fat, and I need to lose the weight starting today. At this point I don't have any health problems and I know it's just a matter of time before I develop an over weight related illness/disease. At first I opted to do this the easy way, which was to go to the doctor and get some weightloss pill and a vitamin shot. After some deep thought I realized this is a life time commit to myself and no overpriced diet plan can fix this. I didn't do this to myself over night and I'm not going to lose it overnight but with diligence and commitment I can achieve my desired weightloss. I can look good from any angle again if I put my mind to. I believe slimfast is a great way to acheive my goals. It helps to know you all are out there losing weight with slimfast and living healthier lives. Come on let's motivate each other , we can do this thing together !!!
Old 06-15-2003, 09:14 PM   #3  

Yes! I'd love to join your Slim Fast thread!! I'm so glad to hear there are still some of us out there that like the plan!! I've been struggling with my weight for my whole life it seems. I've just finished my 200th attempt at low carbing and I had to face facts, it just wasn't the type of lifestyle for me. I'm not a big carnivore, I guess.

I'm 29 and weigh 250 lbs. I am going to start the plan tomorrow!

Anyone else?

Jennifer
Old 06-17-2003, 03:44 AM   #4  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

Hi everyone, I have been using slimfast bars on and off for awhile. Never really following the diet it should be. I have decided this week I am going to follow it and stick to it. I was really glad to see a thread of those of us who still like slimfast.

Bev
Old 07-31-2003, 12:00 PM   #5  

My husband and I started the Slim-Fast plan earlier this week. We wanted an easy diet plan we both could have no problems following. We’ve tried WW in the past and loved it. In fact, my husband was able to get down to his goal weight within 4 months of starting the plan. However, we both fell off the wagon a few years ago and gained a lot of weight. We tried WW again about 6 months ago but we couldn’t seem to stay on program. Every time we went to a meeting we’d just get depressed over re-gaining the weight we had lost the week before.

This time we decided to try Slim-Fast. I wanted something simple and easy, as well as something that would help me loose a good portion of weight within a 6-month period. Once my husband and I feel comfortable, I’d like to get back to WW again. But for now, we’ll going to stick to Slim-Fast.

Our goal is a total calorie intake of around 1200-1300 a day. We also like to make Lean Cuisine meals for dinner with either a salad or steamed veggies.

Here’s our current diet plan at the moment:

Breakfast – Slim-Fast shake or bar, piece of fruit

Lunch – Slim-Fast shake or bar, piece of fruit, ½ cup of carrots

Dinner – Lean Cuisine meal, salad or steamed veggies

Evening Snack – Slim-Fast Ice Cream or low-fat yogurt

Well, I’d love to hear from some other people using SF. I think maintaining this thread will help us all stay motivated.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:32 PM   #6  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

Ruby2000, It sound like you and your husband have a good plan. Like you I also lost weight with ww but I gained it back, I tryed it again about 5 months ago but I just could not stick to it. Then I decided to give slimfast a try. I like slimfast because it is so easy to follow.

SO how is your week going?

Bev
Old 08-01-2003, 07:38 AM   #7  

Good morning!

I am doing a meal replacement plan called Medifast. It is doctor prescribed and controlled. It is a very low calorie diet even with one real meal.

Here is what my meal plan looks like:

breakfast: medifast shake
mid morning snack: medifast oatmeal
lunch: medifast soup and crackers
snack: medifast shake
dinner: lean protein and veggies
dessert: medifast shake

Good luck all!
Old 08-01-2003, 02:24 PM   #8  

Good luck to you too Jibbelle.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:30 AM   #9  
Om shanti

I lost over 100 pounds, and have kept it off for over a year, working with a Health Management Resources (HMR) clinic attached to Newton Wellesley Hospital, here in MA. HMR's programs, some of which are medically-supervised (including the one I started on), rely greatly on strategic use of meal replacements (shakes, entrees and bars). I've had great success.

I've continually kept an eye out for better products, especially shakes and bar, in terms of quality, measured by protein grams per calorie, with taste factored in. So far, the best shakes I've found are Myoplex Lite Cappucino Ice, Labrada Lean Body for Women Chocolate (even though I'm a guy), and HMR's own HMR 800.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:03 PM   #10  

I really like those new granola bars by slimfast. I like the chocolate chip one. I keep one in my purse at all times and one in my work bag. Just so I never can use the excuse I don't have anything healthy around and I'm dying so I'll just eat fast food.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:27 AM   #11  

Brian-
I think your HMR plan is a lot like Medifast. : ) So far I am enjoying it and doing great!
Old 08-14-2003, 06:02 AM   #12  
Om shanti

My understanding is that HMR is more like Optifast. Medifast, if I have my xxxxfasts straight, relies to some extent on ketosis.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:55 PM   #13  

It is my understanding that Optifast and Medifast are very similar...both relying no ketosis. LOL

Who knows!!??!
Old 08-14-2003, 06:49 PM   #14  
Om shanti

Check out Medifast's web site: http://www.medifast.net

From their FAQ: "The nutrient balance of Medifast combined with the low-calorie level causes the fat stores to release free fatty acids that are converted by the liver into an energy source called ketones. This mild state of 'ketosis' helps the body achieve rapid weight loss while preserving muscle tissue. Ketosis also helps eliminate physical hunger while providing good levels of energy."

By comparison, neither HMR's web site (http://www.yourbetterhealth.com) nor Optifast's web site (http://www.optifast.com/consumer_home.jsp) indicate that ketosis is involved.

I think it would be somewhat difficult to get into ketosis on Optifast. Each daily minimum prescription has at least 100 gm of carbohydrates. By comparison, Medifast's daily prescription could be as low as 65 gm carbohydrates.

Last edited by bicker; 08-14-2003 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:10 PM   #15  

I'm thinking of starting the Slim Fast plan, along with WW, so I can add a thing or two if I get really hungry (TMO, for example). I tried this new bar, chewing chocolate caramel or something along those lines, DELISH! also the Strawberry Cheesecake is really good too. I saw that they have Mac and Cheese now. I'm so excited about that (not the price though) because that's one thing I have missed while dieting. 1 cup is not worth the 9 points of velvetta shells and cheese! lol
Closed Thread