General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

CindySunshine, may I ask if you gained weight during that time? Just out of curiosity. I'm a bit derailed myself right now due to some health concerns, an intense round of antibiotics and a very restrictive diet (doc prescribed). I've done some comfort eating and cannot exercise at the moment and yet I'm still firmly planted at 188lbs, no gain and no loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahinparis View Post
I'd like to start participating in this thread more regularly.

I'm not committing myself to "intuitive eating" à la Tribole & Resch, but in the general direction of "mindful/normal" eating, and some of the key concepts of Health At Every Size (avoiding self-hatred, incorporate movement, get good self-care).

I'm pretty new to these topics, and I've started reading on them.

Would anyone like to do a group book club, where we pick a book and read/discuss a chapter a week?
I remember you, I know you have some issues with IE and I think that's a great thing. There is no "diet" that is one size fits all and I think the same thing applies to IE. Personally when I refer to IE I do not refer to the Tribole book specifically although I have read it and like it. I just try to focus on normal eating, good nutrition, fostering a good body image and fitness. I don't feel particularly loyal to the IE book or any one way of doing this.

I'm definitely interested in reading a book and discussing a chapter per week, it sounds doable since one chapter is all I have time for per week. What book were you thinking about?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I'm open to book suggestions for sure.

I have :
- Health At Every Size (Linda Bacon)
- Two Whole Cakes (Leslie Kinzel - this is more size acceptance though)
- Foodist (Darya Pino Rose, I've not read it but it might have diet-type aspects)
- intuitive Eating (Tribole & Resch)
- Eat What You Love, love What You Eat (Michelle May, haven't read it)

I also have a short book by the blogger who does Fat Nutritionist which is quite interesting,,but it was the thank you for GoFundMe and she's not currently selling it, so that wouldn't work (although it's good!)

Anything is fine, really - my experience with these kinds of things is that it's the group approach and discussion that is valuable, even if we do/don't like the book. Although, experience has also taught me that shorter is better!
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #33  

Hey ladies,

I've been eating intuitively for about a week now. It feels really good and my body is so much warmer than when I was starving myself. I am nervous because I'm going to see a man that I've known for a few years who lives a few states over. We have romantic feelings for each other. All the body hatred is churning in my brain as I prepare for the trip. I can't complain otherwise.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I've been eating Intuitively for almost a week, but I must say that my eating has been all over the place as I've been eating lots of starchy carbs. Hard not to think low carb. But at least for today it has settled down.

I don't know where I got the idea that I had to eat breakfast even if I wasn't hungry. I very seldom at breakfast growing up because I just didn't want it. My basic eating routine although we had no name for it back then was probably what is called today Intermittent Fasting. I just ate when I was hungry except for suppertime which was whatever and whenever Mama cooked. In between marriages (I've a widow 2 times), it was not unusual for me to eat only one meal a day and rarely have a snack. But once I got into the habit of eating 3 meals a day, I suddenly found myself afraid to not eat breakfast because I might get hungry. Really strange feeling considering my history of sometimes going long days without eating.

I am not putting a title to my way of eating although it would probably be a combo of IF and IE. I don't want to name it because I think that might mess me up. I'll just take each day as it comes and do whatever I feel like doing on each day by eating when I'm hungry and not eat when I'm not. Some days may fit IF and some will not, but all will be IE. Today I didn't eat breakfast only because I really did not want it. I had a really big lunch and I'm not sure if I will eat anything later or not. I've had loads of energy today washing clothes and cleaning bathrooms. So not me. So I see there is progress and I'm just going to roll with it.

sarahinparis I've read so many books lately... especially diet books that I recently decided to take a break from reading diet books or any books related to eating only because I have decided that I've got brain overload with all the dieting info I have mainly because my goal is to "Stop" thinking about food and eating. I'm sure there are others who might be interested in reading and discussing with you. I just don't feel comfortable doing that at this time.

Wannabeskinny Sorry about the health issues crowding into your IE. I also have to watch some things concerning diabetes, but even at that, I am learning to still do IE along with it.

Locke Good luck on your date. Just relax and be yourself and you will be fine.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #35  

Yes Wannabe, I gained weight. My shorts and cute summer things I want to wear down here are tight, not horribly out of reach tight, but tight.

While I'm not dieting and I have whatever I want, I am trying to be vigilant on not eating when I'm not hungry and I'm doing a lot of walking. Sometimes I just don't want to think about any of it including if I'm hungry or not.
CindySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
I've been eating Intuitively for almost a week, but I must say that my eating has been all over the place

But once I got into the habit of eating 3 meals a day, I suddenly found myself afraid to not eat breakfast because I might get hungry.

sarahinparis I've read so many books lately... especially diet books that I recently decided to take a break from reading diet books or any books related to eating only because I have decided that I've got brain overload with all the dieting info I have mainly because my goal is to "Stop" thinking about food and eating. I'm sure there are others who might be interested in reading and discussing with you. I just don't feel comfortable doing that at this time.
From what I've read, it's really common to have eating be "all over the place" when you start intuitive eating. Sounds like you're on the right track!

I know what you mean about breakfast - I just don't wake up hungry, never have. And I too have spent a lot of time with that "eating defensively" in case I might get hungry later - which is dumb, as in today's world we can almost always find food when we need it. I've gotten better at listening to hunger cues, although I do find myself eating at times I'm not physically hungry sometimes for social reasons.

I'm certainly not trying to put pressure for the book thing - more that it could be helpful for me to have a place to discuss things, and some degree of accountability to keep going with learning more. I've done group readings before online and they are usually very rich, but we need 2-3 committed people probably to make it work (and then you can add as many not-as-committed people as possible). I was definitely thinking something non-diet-y though (I've read a ton of paleo books in the past year and am taking a break from reading that stuff right now)

Locke : good luck on the date - sounds kind of mysterious & promising!
Old 11-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
sarahinparisI know what you mean about breakfast - I just don't wake up hungry, never have. And I too have spent a lot of time with that "eating defensively" in case I might get hungry later - which is dumb, as in today's world we can almost always find food when we need it. I've gotten better at listening to hunger cues, although I do find myself eating at times I'm not physically hungry sometimes for social reasons.
I never thought of it as eating defensively, but you are right. I also eat something earlier in the evening, because I'm afraid I will get hungry late at night and I don't want to eat at night. Since I've recently read that the "old rule" don't eat at night is a myth and that it doesn't really matter how late we eat if we are hungry, maybe I should just go ahead and wait until I am hungry before I eat at night.

Curious as to other IErs handle this.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
I never thought of it as eating defensively, but you are right. I also eat something earlier in the evening, because I'm afraid I will get hungry late at night and I don't want to eat at night. Since I've recently read that the "old rule" don't eat at night is a myth and that it doesn't really matter how late we eat if we are hungry, maybe I should just go ahead and wait until I am hungry before I eat at night.

Curious as to other IErs handle this.
One of my only rules is to eat breakfast no matter what. It makes the rest of my day go smoothly hunger wise. It's ok to eat at night, I usually finish my eating 3 hrs before bedtime because eating any later gives me indigestion.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #39  

I thought you all might like this video. Not sure who shared it with me but I've had it in my favs and came across it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ4l...ature=youtu.be
CountryLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #40  

I couldn't get the link to work (says video is no longer available)

I've decided on a first step into this intuitive eating process for myself.

For a great many weeks now I've been telling myself I will cut out dairy for a while. Why? Because, the few times I've succeeding in doing that I've always lost weight.

But I really LIKE dairy products, and I live in France where I have access to extremely high quality dairy products (cheeses, yogurts, cream, butter). So this vague (and self-imposed) "should" has been like a punishment, and I feel like a rebel every week when I buy a cheese I like or another bottle of cream for my coffee.

And today it struck me (after another big purchase from the cheesemonger) that maybe I should start here with the whole "giving myself permission" bit, and fully, freely, whole-heartedly allow, embrace and enjoy dairy.

So, that's going to be my first step. The enjoyment of dairy.

Nov 14 : had a small piece of Beaufort & of Brillat-Savarin. Both were excellent. And I had cream in my coffee.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #41  

@Countryliving- Great video!

@Sarahinparis- That's great! I totally envy that you are in France. Such good food!
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #42  

Sarahinparis:
I love to read, and have several books on the subject of IE type eating. I would be down for a book club type thing.

Ironically I don't own the Trioble resch book but I have

Beyond Chocolate
The skinny jeans book ( Thinside out)
Overcoming Overeating
I did own eat what you love love what you eat but I returned it. I found it really triggering because she talks about what kind of food you should eat and even includes recipes. Couldn't do it.

I think I have others but I can't think of them right now.

Locke good luck!

Countryliving: Good video, it makes me glad I don't diet anymore.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #43  

I think I'm going to re-read "Health At Every Size" because I read it rather quickly this summer and I'd like to revisit some of what she says about exercise and intuitive eating.

I'd love to read another intuitive/normal/mindful eating book, but realistically just before the holidays is a challenging time to start that kind of project - so I'll put that on hold until the new year.

In the meantime if anyone wants to join me, the book is Health At Every Size, by Linda Bacon. http://www.amazon.com/Health-At-Ever.../dp/1935618253

If memory serves, her first several chapters are about how fat doesn't necessarily equal disease, and the futility of dieting, and my memory is that they went quickly so I may well read several in a week. If others join in I'll draw up a chapter-a-week schedule, otherwise I'll just read at my own pace but try to check in here with my thoughts.

A very interesting thing about the dairy - as I expected suddenly giving myself not just permission but outright intention to eat dairy made my consumption spike for a few days, and already I'm like "but I don't FEEL like having any"...
Old 11-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #44  

I'm doing some Overeating which is worrisome. (I have no idea why the autocorrect on my phone continually puts a capital O on that word every time.) I'm also doing some late night eating which is even more worrisome and I'm trying to stop. I fear that my current restrictive diet is becoming tiresome and I feel angry in the mornings that I'm not allowed to even drink coffee and although I generally like green tea being forced to switch to it makes me look forward to never havin to drink it again when I go back on coffee.

My current health issues are also exacerbated by the fact that my son brings home some pretty nasty viruses from preschool and I feel like I am continually sick. I'm feeling a lot of despair and not even exercising right now because of all these issues. The acid reflux is still bothering me although not much, except that since I've been doing the nighttime eating it's gotten worse. I'm also eating chocolate which I'm not supposed to and I ate something spicy the other day and I feel like it's only a matter of time before I derail from the diet completely. I started off well and good with easy thoughts of self care and now I'm... well I'm binging again. And weighing myself. No weight gain yet but it's only a matter of time.

I know the path to good health is not linear but boy do I hate these upswings.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #45  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

I see myself in your struggles with binge eating. I finally gained clarity when I admitted in words spoken aloud that I have a serious addiction. I can not risk my health, physical and mental, by giving in to my serious addiction. Certain foods are my "crack, meth, heroin"
SO I DO NOT EAT THEM EVER ANYMORE.
Ever. My life will not end if I never eat these foods again. Life can go on with days of joy and pleasure and I do not have to destroy myself, sobriety by eating my danger foods.
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote