General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #136  
300+ Chick

Carabelle....How much fiber do you have daily? The more the better for the tummy. Glad that you joined us!!

Steelslady...What a nice story about the latin guy hitting on ya.Most latin men adore BBW. Latin men are very romantic. I wish I had some in my area that are single..all of them near me are married...ugh.

Have a high fiber day all...We are doing wonderful!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #137  

Hi Liliann was wondering if you are following a certain diet or just doing this on your own
sluggo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #138  
300+ Chick

Hi Slugg....I am doing this on my own. Counting only fiber..No dieting for me..just knowledge on my past dieting with calorie counting and weight watchers.I am doing my way and the help on this site. Glad that you joined us.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #139  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliann View Post

Carabelle....How much fiber do you have daily? The more the better for the tummy. Glad that you joined us!!

Steelslady...What a nice story about the latin guy hitting on ya.Most latin men adore BBW. Latin men are very romantic. I wish I had some in my area that are single..all of them near me are married...ugh.

Have a high fiber day all...We are doing wonderful!
Right now I am at 30 grams. What is best?
carabelle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #140  
300+ Chick

Carabelle.... You are doing great with your fiber count!! There is no target, some books recomends 20-35..But I and most folks, go much higher. to keep the tummy well. Keep up the great work!!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #141  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

I am going to the local Wal-Mart probably Saturday. I seem to remember that awhile back there were these tortillas(?)- those things you make wraps with-anyway for some reason I seem to remember that there was one that had 25g of fiber for 1 wrap thing, so I am going Saturday before work and look into that. Do any of you know if there is such a thing?? I found a spagetti at Wal-Mart I think it's called Taste Right or something like that (I am not at home to get the name from the pantry) anyway it taste like regular noodles but has a fair amount of fiber. Anyway have a blessed day all.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #142  
300+ Chick

Ladies....I had enough on my home scale ,up and down cycling...Just had it...I am going to get serious and will go this evening on getting my healthy foods and begin on Thursday a low calories plan. I just planned my menu for it. Thursday I will be 1,000 calories a day...and Not eating foods with my family. They gave me **** this afternoon and after I cooled myself down, I going to plan my own meals..and eat my foods. every single day.

Soon, I will go my food shopping on getting Lettuce,canned red kidney beans, Orignal fiber one cereal and fat free milk. I planned for Thursday and is under 1000 and fiber 64.

I need to do this...I am in pain daily and am all alone on this. My medical doctor wants me do to surgery or diet pills...and now my own family is aganist me and do not understand what a morbid obese person deals with. I am back up at 400s and also, can not do any workouts on this old house, they fear I will make the old ,old weak floors worse. I am in 400s, but struggling like anything. I am diet alone..and do my walking only outdoors..I want to dance and can not even do that..only in the yard...

I had my deep melt down and cried...But I show them I can do this without any diet pills or surgery. I am desprate and also need to be patient with the scale.

Thanks for listening...and allowing me to vent..
Old 03-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #143  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Sending you a virtual hug

Quote:

I need to do this...I am in pain daily and am all alone on this.
Girl you do what you need to do! But you are not alone...we are all here for you!! Who cares if the wood creaks!!! You plan your meals and if you have to eat separate from them then you do so. They won't support you? Then do it without them. Liliann your make yourself your own priority! Hang in there, you can do this!!!!
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #144  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Lilian, it pains me to read your post and your solution. I am sorry you are struggling so much and I want you to succeed as we i'm sure we all do. I urge you to get a referral from your doctor to a dietician. A dietician should be able to help you work out a meal plan that is sustainable and doable in your domestic circumstances.

There are outpatient clinics usually where the hospital dieticians can work with the public. I used to work in an eating disorders clinic at a public hospital here in Australia and we had dieticians who'd see the patients. They were lovely women.

Does anyone else know about the difficulties you have at home. Eg your doctor or a social worker? There might be other forms of help available.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #145  

Lillianne, you are not alone. We are here for you, so vent all you want. Do what you need to do because you are the only one who knows what's best for you. You can do this.

Tam Tam, Is the pasta you're talking about called Smart Taste or something like that? We bought some at Walmart had it last week. It was really good. I don't like the taste of whole wheat pasta.

Carabelle, Your fiber count is great. I try to get at least 20g. Before WW had the points system, they had a Fat & Fiber plan and women had to have at least 20g. of fiber. As I get used to the fiber, I'll increase it.

Steelslady, loved your story about the Latin gentleman hitting on you. That must've made your day.

Pattience, I agree with you about fast food. I try to avoid it as much as possible. I also read labels when I grocery shop and try not to buy anything with high fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated oils.

Trish, my DH was picky when we first got married. The only vegetables he'd eat were corn, peas, & lima beans. Now he eats more.

Hope you all have enjoyed this last day of winter. It doesn't seem to have ended here....it's snowing right now.
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #146  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Here is another article I got today from Healthy Living. Those of us who eat fiber will find this encouraging.

8 Foods That Help Lower Cholesterol

By Arthur Agatston, M.D., Special to Everyday Health

From beans and legumes to red wine and chocolate, food and drink can help you get your cholesterol levels down.

My patients often ask me if there are any foods that can help with reducing high levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol. This is the so-called "bad" cholesterol that can cause artery-clogging plaque to form in your coronary artery walls, increasing your risk of heart attack and stroke. My answer is a qualified "Yes," since high LDL can be the result of many factors, including poor genes, obesity, and lack of exercise. For this reason, not everyone will react to dietary changes the same way, and optimal LDL levels are different for every individual.

Frequently, too much LDL is the result of a diet rich in saturated fats (usually from animal foods such as beef, butter, lard, and whole-milk dairy products) and trans fats (found in processed and fast foods). Eliminating these foods from your diet is a good first step in improving your LDL. Then try adding some or all of the following LDL-lowering foods every day. If you're already on a statin, dietary changes may help you reduce your dosage, but never reduce or stop taking a statin drug (or any other heart drug) without first consulting your doctor.

Beans: Pintos and Garbanzos Stand Out

All types of beans and other legumes — pinto, red, white, navy, black, garbanzos, limas, and lentils, for example — are excellent sources of soluble fiber, which binds to cholesterol-laden bile salts in the small intestine and promotes their excretion along with waste. When this happens, the liver must use more cholesterol to produce more bile salts, therefore lowering the amount of cholesterol in the body available to make LDL. Studies indicate that consumption of as little as 1/2 cup of cooked beans per day can lower LDL cholesterol by an average of 8 percent. Pintos and garbanzo beans seem to have the best effect.

Apples: Fiber and Antioxidant Rich

As with beans, apples are an excellent source of LDL-lowering soluble fiber, primarily pectin. Research also shows that eating an apple a day (or better yet, two) can slow the oxidation of LDL cholesterol thanks to antioxidant polyphenols found primarily in the skin (so don't peel them). Antioxidants are important because when LDL cholesterol interacts with free radicals to become oxidized, it is more likely to promote inflammation and plaque build-up in the arteries.

Nuts and Seeds: Protein Plus

Walnuts, almonds, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, and flaxseeds are all excellent sources of protein, heart-healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. When substituted for saturated fat in the diet, nuts and seeds have been shown to help lower LDL cholesterol (and total cholesterol) without affecting levels of good high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. Since nuts and seeds are calorie-dense, you'll need to limit your daily intake to about 1 ounce (1/4 cup) and also make sure the nuts aren't salted or coated with sugar.

Oats and Oat Bran: Just a Little Every Day

Oats and oat bran contain beta-glucan, a water-soluble fiber that has been found to help reduce the amount of LDL cholesterol circulating in the blood. Studies show that a daily intake of at least 3 grams of oat beta-glucan may reduce LDL cholesterol levels by 7 percent on average. That's the amount in 1/4 cup of uncooked oat bran (enjoy it as a hot cereal or add it to smoothies and baked goods) or 1½ cups of cooked steel-cut oatmeal. It is also believed that polyphenolic antioxidant compounds found in oat bran, called avenanthramides, can help prevent inflammation and plaque build-up by keeping blood cells from sticking to artery walls.

Green Tea: Loose Leaves Work Better

All varieties of antioxidant-rich tea (white, black, green, oolong) can help lower LDL, but green tea, which is particularly rich in the powerful antioxidant epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) has shown the best results in lowering LDL levels — by about 2 percent. Unlike other teas, which are made from fermented leaves, green tea leaves are steamed, which prevents the EGCG from being oxidized. While some studies have been done with an intake of 7 or more cups a day, drinking a few cups of green tea daily should help and will keep you from getting too much caffeine. Preparing your green tea with loose tea, rather than tea bags, provides more EGCG.

Red Grapefruit: A 20 Percent Difference

Eating just one red grapefruit daily for a month can help to lower LDL cholesterol by as much as 20 percent, one study showed, most likely due to the liminoids and lycopene found in the pulp. Grapefruit also contains the soluble fiber pectin, which contributes to LDL lowering. Because grapefruit can enhance the effect of certain heart medications, such as statins and calcium channel blockers, if you're on one of these drugs, check with your doctor before eating grapefruit or drinking the juice.

Red Wine: A Toast to Resveratrol

A plant-based chemical known as resveratrol, found in the red grapes used to make red wine, has been shown to lower blood levels of LDL cholesterol. It also appears to protect against coronary artery disease, thanks to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Furthermore, a glass of red wine with a meal can help prevent the constriction of blood vessels that can follow a fatty meal and lead to atherosclerosis and heart attack. If you don't drink, don't start now: You can get resveratrol from red, black, and purple grapes outright, and from blueberries, cranberries, and even peanut butter. If you do drink, limit your consumption of red wine to one or two 5-ounce glasses a day.

Plant Sterols and Stanols: Watch Your Portions

Plant sterols and stanols, collectively known as "phytosterols," are substances that are naturally present in small quantities in vegetable oil (corn, soybean), nuts, legumes, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and even dark chocolate. Studies show that consuming 2 grams of sterols/stanols daily can lower LDL cholesterol levels by an average of 6 percent and perhaps by as much as 14 percent in as little as four weeks. This blocks cholesterol absorption in the small intestine, which in turn helps lower LDL. Because it is difficult to get this amount directly from fresh foods, many products are being fortified with sterols and stanols. These include vegetable oil spreads (choose the light varieties), orange juice, and fat-free milk, among other products. Look at labels carefully, since the calories in many of these products can add up quickly and sidetrack the best of heart-healthy intentions.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

carabelle11, sluggo88 & TamTam Look forward to getting to know y'all.

Lilliann I am so sorry your family don't understand and aren't supportive. People who haven't had weight problems just don't understand. I know you want to get the weight off but please don't go too low on the calories. I talked to my doctor about why they say not to eat less than 1200 calories and he told me that if you go too low that you set yourself up to fail because you won't be satisfied. He said eventually you will get really hungry and end up with a binge. You don't have to eat 1200 calories on days you are not hungry and don't want it, but he suggested not making a habit of it. When I did Richard Simmons years ago, I believe he had a quick start where we ate 1000 calories a day for a week and then moved on to 1200 calories a day. However, after saying all that... YOU DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU and what you can live with. My doctor told me years ago that was the key to losing weight and keeping it off successfully. And like everyone says WE ARE HERE FOR YOU. So you go right ahead and vent whenever you need too. It is good for you to use us as an outlet to relieve some of the stress you are under. You can do this.

Steelslady I love the experience you had with the Puerto Rican guy. What a compliment that should make you feel like you are riding on a cloud. That is great. Don't you love people thinking you are younger. Had a lady at the beauty shop one day talking about me being a lot younger than her. When I told her that I was 70, she said "God has been good to you". She thought I was 60 or younger. Made me feel so good.

aleka DH has learned to eat a few more things since we married and I am working on adding some new foods once in a while. His Mother told me when he was little that she would cry because she would spend time cooking a nice meal for him and he wouldn't touch it. One can only try. However, I'm learning that there are some fiber foods like some beans which I plan to incorporate into his meals.

Pattience

This running my DGS around this week is wearing me out. I'm just not used to all of this running around all the time. I may not look 70, but I think I feel like this week. LOL

Today's totals Calories 1468 Fiber 38 g
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #148  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:

Ladies....I had enough on my home scale ,up and down cycling...Just had it...I am going to get serious and will go this evening on getting my healthy foods and begin on Thursday a low calories plan. I just planned my menu for it. Thursday I will be 1,000 calories a day...and Not eating foods with my family. They gave me **** this afternoon and after I cooled myself down, I going to plan my own meals..and eat my foods. every single day.

Soon, I will go my food shopping on getting Lettuce,canned red kidney beans, Orignal fiber one cereal and fat free milk. I planned for Thursday and is under 1000 and fiber 64.

I need to do this...I am in pain daily and am all alone on this. My medical doctor wants me do to surgery or diet pills...and now my own family is aganist me and do not understand what a morbid obese person deals with. I am back up at 400s and also, can not do any workouts on this old house, they fear I will make the old ,old weak floors worse. I am in 400s, but struggling like anything. I am diet alone..and do my walking only outdoors..I want to dance and can not even do that..only in the yard...

I had my deep melt down and cried...But I show them I can do this without any diet pills or surgery. I am desprate and also need to be patient with the scale.

Thanks for listening...and allowing me to vent..
I am so so sorry, honey- that is just awful how your family doesn't help and support you. You don't deserve this. Please know that we are here every step of the way, every day. You need to talk or vent, come right here, we'll listen, and if we can, try to help any way we can. While I am lucky that my husband and kids are supportive and loving, I can tell you in my younger years, I had aunts and cousins who constantly, and I do mean constantly, got after me for my weight, and I was just a kid! A couple of years ago, I was one of two nieces that used to visit my aunt in a nursing home, and every time I would visit with my family, she would mention how I was the biggest girl on both sides of the family. My kids and husband kept asking me why I put up with that abuse from her, but honestly, she was one of my favorite aunts, past the weight issues. I knew she loved me and cared, unlike some of the cousins who were unmerciful in their comments, often in front of my parents, who said nothing to stop them.......My mother was always so worried about hurting other people's or causing a rift in the family, so she allowed her own daughter to be subjected to hurt over and over again, for the sake of "peace in the family". Even my sister had her ways of taunting and embarrassing me years back.

Thank God, I have a wonderful husband and great kids. I just don't know now if I could go through that abuse again, it is hurtful and degrading. Yet if you try and defend yourself and point out any of their flaws, you're a selfish person for heaven forbid, trying to stop being a marshmallow and let people walk all over you.

Do you have a basement in your home?I know some people don't if they live in older houses. How about a garage that you could buy an electric heater if it's too cold and exercise in there? That's just lousy that you can't exercise in your own home!

How about mall walking? Do you live near one where you can go daily, just put on your Ipod and have fun without the stress? Earlier mornings are best, it's not busy, and you don't have to deal with a lot of teens and little kids, lol.

I know some gyms have walking tracks in them, but the one closest to me is almost an hour away, so it's not convenient.

Can you do more swimming, Liliann? Get a pair of arm water weights and some ankle weights for the water- you can also use these on land when you are not swimming- that will help tone your legs and burn more calories. I have my swimming ankle weights on now- I wear them all day around the house, it really does help trim the legs up- just don't ever run in them, anyone who's reading this- not good to run with ankle weights, can cause problems with knees and ankles. While doing housework and other things around the house, you forget these are even on.

How about doing dance moves without moving your feet? You just sway your hips, arms, torso, even your legs back (simply bend them) and forth to music, without moving a step. Use a stretchy band or hand held weights or wrist weights while swaying back and forth to music. Also, windmills, waist twists while holding a broom over your head, squats, plies, lots of different arm exercises can be done in your bedroom without any movement, so they don't complain.

Buy some balloons at the store, and have fun bouncing it around, back and forth, while on your bedroom floor, sitting. Know what silly thing I made on time when I missed playing tennis in the winter? I took a tennis ball, pushed a screw driver through it, pulled about a six foot piece of clothes line through it, and tied it to one of my doorways and had fun just batting the ball, back and forth. I am going to do that again soon- silly as it sounds, it really is FUN and you move your hips and body, while standing in place, swinging your arm to hit it. I change arms to get some exercise in the other one- may tie a balloon to a string and hit it with a tennis racket so it don't make any noise in your house. It's also a GREAT a great stress reliever. I also highly recommend getting a punch ball- they sell them in the toy section at Walmart and are very cheap- you can sit in a chair and have fun using it- burns calories and lowers stress levels, trust me, I know.

Also, please don't go too low on calories- for now, try to get in about 1600-1800 a day. Going too low too soon has the opposite effect on your body. As time goes on and you lose a lot of weight, gradually lower them, by fifty at a time, but never ever lower than 1200 a day minimum.

Hang in there, honey, and don't let them get you down. I don't suppose there is any way you could find another place to live and get away from them- I'm sure if you could, you would have by now. I wish I could hug you, so sorry you are living like this. Sending you a hug online all the way from New Hampshire.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:29 PM   #149  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Steelslady, you just reminded me of an form of training that athletes do when they have injured themselves and can't run.

They get in the pool and run the length of the pool that way. Of course it takes a long long time to get from one end to the other. But it should give you a fairly good workout.

When we are overweight, we really shouldn't have too much trouble staying afloat because fat is lighter than water. But having arm floaties on could help if one were afraid of the deep water. Or just swim/run along in the lane nearest the edge.

That said, i know a lot of overweight people don't like being seen publicly in a pool. So maybe its worth checking out if there are times the local pool has when there are few people there.

I admit to not liking being seen in public in swimmers when i'm overweight. and that is one reason why i don't go swimming more often. There are other reasons too though, like i hate the whole rigmarole with showering at that time of the day and so on because usually it means i will have to have another one later. But i do love swimming.

I still haven't fixed my gas situation so today i cooked my mexican beans in the microwave. They turned out really well.

Heres the recipe:

I started out with a can of beans called Mexican beans so they are probably already lightly spiced. But others like pinto or borlotti beans would do fine.

finely chop one onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Put in a ceramic bowl with 1 tsp of cumin seeds. (If using powder put it in later). Add 1.5 tsp extra virgin olive oil.
Cook in the microwave until the onions are soft.
Add the rinsed and drained beans and 50g or 1-2tbsp only of tomato paste.
Add the powdered cumin now if you are using and more chilli if you like it.
Cover and return to cook until its all heated through.
Blend with a bamix or some sort of mashing gadget.
DONE.

I ate 1 cup of this mixture with 1/4 cup of natural yoghurt, 3 types of salad vegies, 1tbsp of finely grated hard yellow cheese. My salad vegies today were grated beetroot, 1/2 cup of packed lettuce greens and a big piece of cucumber diced.

Filling, tasty and healthy and balanced and I don't know what the calories are but i am sure its not going to blow any our diets.

Another legume meal i want to make is hummus. NOrmally hummus is high in fat, even though its good fat. Because of that i think a serve should only be 1/2 cup of hummus but eaten with wholemeal pita bread and lots of salad. Next time i go shopping, i will have to buy pita and tahini if i can't find the one on the shelf already.

Last edited by Pattience; 03-19-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:14 AM   #150  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Steelslady, you just reminded me of an form of training that athletes do when they have injured themselves and can't run.

They get in the pool and run the length of the pool that way. Of course it takes a long long time to get from one end to the other. But it should give you a fairly good workout.

When we are overweight, we really shouldn't have too much trouble staying afloat because fat is lighter than water. But having arm floaties on could help if one were afraid of the deep water. Or just swim/run along in the lane nearest the edge.

That said, i know a lot of overweight people don't like being seen publicly in a pool. So maybe its worth checking out if there are times the local pool has when there are few people there.

I admit to not liking being seen in public in swimmers when i'm overweight. and that is one reason why i don't go swimming more often. There are other reasons too though, like i hate the whole rigmarole with showering at that time of the day and so on because usually it means i will have to have another one later. But i do love swimming.

I still haven't fixed my gas situation so today i cooked my mexican beans in the microwave. They turned out really well.

Heres the recipe:

I started out with a can of beans called Mexican beans so they are probably already lightly spiced. But others like pinto or borlotti beans would do fine.

finely chop one onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Put in a ceramic bowl with 1 tsp of cumin seeds. (If using powder put it in later). Add 1.5 tsp extra virgin olive oil.
Cook in the microwave until the onions are soft.
Add the rinsed and drained beans and 50g or 1-2tbsp only of tomato paste.
Add the powdered cumin now if you are using and more chilli if you like it.
Cover and return to cook until its all heated through.
Blend with a bamix or some sort of mashing gadget.
DONE.

I ate 1 cup of this mixture with 1/4 cup of natural yoghurt, 3 types of salad vegies, 1tbsp of finely grated hard yellow cheese. My salad vegies today were grated beetroot, 1/2 cup of packed lettuce greens and a big piece of cucumber diced.

Filling, tasty and healthy and balanced and I don't know what the calories are but i am sure its not going to blow any our diets.

Another legume meal i want to make is hummus. NOrmally hummus is high in fat, even though its good fat. Because of that i think a serve should only be 1/2 cup of hummus but eaten with wholemeal pita bread and lots of salad. Next time i go shopping, i will have to buy pita and tahini if i can't find the one on the shelf already.
Pattience, I run in the pool- I love it! there are these two women who come the same time every night, and when I am there, we all run around the pool, do laps together around the pool, dog paddle, leg work on the side of the pool (I am not strong enough to pull myself up like they do on the side of the pool with their arms- getting there, though!). I went crazy last night and told them I was doing a triple lutz like the ice skaters- when I was done, we all burst out laughing and continued our heavy work out. Even my sister joined in- wow! She didn't realize she was doing the dog paddle all the way to the other side of the pool, because she was talking to the lady next to her- she's nervous if she can't touch the bottom. She was so proud of herself.

I could care less what others think of me- I pay the same money they do, and dar gone it all, I enjoy my exercise and fun in the pool. Most people that go are in the same boat we are, and really, who cares what others think?

That recipe sounds good- I make that with tortilla chips- now that I have high fiber ones, I'll have to try your suggest with the microwave. You're doing awesome on this plan, keep up the great work!

aleka and Trish- haven't forgotten you ladies, I will get back to you both soon on your posts! You're both doing great, too!

Welcome to the newbies, pull up a chair and chat with us. We love new friends in this thread- the more the merrier!
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote