General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #1  

Height: 5'1"

Question Water retention after exercising? HMM?

Hey all...questions here.

Well, been trying to jog more on the tmill, 3 miles at a time now. Want to lose about 12 pounds. I eat pretty darn healthy and not a lot and don't follow a certain diet perse...just watch what goes in the pie-hole. I am 5'1", 124.1 and pear-shaped and confused. LOL.

So, with that said, I thought I would go to Zumba class to break up the monotony of the tmill and the impact on my knees. I was weighing 123.1 before class (weighed myself thinking I lost a pound by almost two weeks of jogging on the tmill 3-4 times/wk). NOPE! I weighed myself the next morning and went up a pound and still there at 124.1. HMM?!

So, what is my REAL weight? Is it 123.1 or 124.1? I know your body will fluctuate with fluids and nope, aunt flo isn't in the picture right now.

When does your body go back down to its "REAL" weight? I haven't been working out with weights (just arms ex. a little bit with 12lb weights) so why does the scale go up after a zumba class? MY BODY IS WEIRD I GUESS! LOL

I know that one should weigh themselves once a week, after you wake up and go to the bathroom. I am confused and a little discouraged that I am not seeing progress and put in a lot of hard work on the trmill. I am not a jogger...didn't say I liked it, but am trying to give this a try. : )

I have been trying to lose just 10-12 pounds for a long time and seems nothing is working. Guess my 45 year old body doesn't want to. Your thoughts?

Guess it will take at least a month before seeing any true results in the way my clothes fit and also the scale right? I have never just jogged before perse as a workout. Have done other types of exercises but thought there are no heavy runners, right? Thought to myself, let's give this a try and maybe my short, pear-shaped lower half will trim down over time.

Sigh
taben07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

For me, it was about after 8-10 weeks. I gained about 10-12 lbs first. Probably a combination of gains in glycogen, water, and muscle. But I was not exercising for a long time before I started, so went from scratch. The weight only came of very slowly after the initial increase, but inches dropped quickly. I had to reduce calorie intake to about 1000-1100 max/day to see clear losses on the scale. Even now, exercise alone does not move my scale much. But after 18 months of it, I sure have muscles. I do mainly strength with some cardio mixed in.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #3  

you reall need to add strength training to the mix of your exercise of you will lost muscle along with fat. Not a desirable thing.

Any exercise can cause water retention. It stresses the muscles and they retain water.

Do not weigh every day. Weigh once a week, first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom. That is your weight. If you insist on weighing every day, do not compare Monday to Tuesday, etc. Compare Monday to Monday last week, etc. to see what you are losing.

Cutting back on carbs results in lots of water weight lost. For each gram of carb out body stores it also stores 4 grams of water. I cut out all processed food and lost 9 pounds without doing anything else differently but eating more protein.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

Thank you so much for your replies. : )
taben07 is offline   Reply With Quote