General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #46  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

AlmostMe, big congrats! Even if it creeps up a bit in the interim, the first time you see it is a great feeling
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #47  

House full of people today......23 for supper I think. Seems like I've been cooking since 7am. More to come..........cooking, that is.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Weight is up today. So I have decided that I do have to count calories/carbs, but I can still combine it with Intermittent Fasting and IE. Not setting a calorie/carb goal to reach, just keepig up with them just for information. I don't eat until noon most days any way so I will just go with it and make my eating window between noon and 8 pm since I don't like to eat too close to bed time. Still choose to eat only the foods I really like and enjoy and eat only when hungry and stop eating when satisfied.

Actually realized today that this is really how I ate growing up until I was convinced by "diets" that I had to eat breakfast and needed to eat more meal. I realized that growing up, I never ate until noon or lunchtime @ school and then didn't eat again until suppertime around 5ish. Never had snacks. Sometimes the hours varied depending on what was happenig at the time and I never got hungry. I was a "natural" "norma" Intermittent Faster + a IE was "normal" for me at the same time.

Why oh why do we listen to what "they" say and WHO ARE "THEY" ANY WAY.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #49  
Downloading 10% complete

Trish, I'm doing the same and it's working so far (I've lost my regain of 8lbs, and am 1lb above my "set point" of 196... TOM from yesterday, so if last month is anything to go by, i'm hoping to get boosted through the plateau within a week). I do think IE is a brilliant long-term way to eat well, and healthily, but to help the weight loss process (which is the ultimate point of it in the first place, for many of us), where's the harm in "borrowing" little bolt-ons from other plans? I do think, though, that you need to be grounded in IE first, before adding any counting or tracking of numbers, not vice versa.

You have the healthy attitude part down, and that's the foundation. That always needs to be the foundation, and you have it right

Do you use My Fitness Pal? They have a good desktop site and I use the iOS app. It has a barcode scanner! You can just scan your food with your phone and it inputs all your nutrition info, plus you can do the same with ingredients to make your own recipes
Old 03-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #50  

Actually I have had a really great day. Cutting my window down an hr because I have to get up much earlier tomorrow so must go to bed earlier than usual. As I said, I'm not using calorie/carb counting as a diet but more of a guide to see what I'm doing. I write down on paper what I eat as I do a lot of my preparations homemade to cut down on processed foods. Calories will end up being less than 1100 and carbs are 65. Not planned that way, just not hungry enough for more. I am very pleased.

Busy week ahead of us. DH has 3 doc appts and I have to go to the beauty salon Tues and hope I can get in Wed morning for pedicure and fills. However, all that running should equal some exercise. lol
Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #51  

Quote:
However, all that running should equal some exercise. lol
Absolutely!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #52  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

My weight didn't quite stay down at goal, but I was able to move the ticker down and I'm only 1lb away.

I mostly ate pretty well.... but Sunday when I play rugby is always really weird. I think I'm not going to worry about it. It was an away game and we had a looong journey. However, the bus stopped on the way back at a KFC and most of the girls got out and got fried chicken. I asked myself "Do I want this?" and I said "Heck no..." I was a little hungry but I really, really didn't want that chicken which tends to make me feel yuck afterwards - so many horrible chemicals in it. And I was proud of myself as it would have been so tempting to eat that as I'd already hit the cider.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #53  

Quote:
Do I want this?" and I said "Heck no..." I was a little hungry but I really, really didn't want that chicken
Good work.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #54  

I've debated for a few years whether to get Maggie Miller's book, Eat When You're hungry. It is 4 yr. old and still about $16 for and 82 page paperback. I've heard it is really good. She had a blog but she hasn't posted for a year.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #55  

Another book I always wanted and finally bought after the price came down was Beyond Chocolate by a couple of British women. It was good but The Overfed Head is still my favorite.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #56  

Well, my IF/IE is going great again. Just hope I can keep it going. I realize it is a process of learning a lifestyle that works for me. DH and I went to eat at his favorite fish place after his post-op check up. We both realized when we got half way through the meal that we will never order more than one meal and half it. Neither of us wanted 2 pieces of fish. A good lesson learned. Then today we went to Golden Corral. I got what I thought was just a few bites of each of the foods I wanted to eat. Amazing, I couldn't eat but about half. Even ate only half of my favorite dessert I always get when I go there. When I left I told DH "I should not have had the last two bites of my dessert".

When I got home I realized that by combining IF with IE, I am actually eating the way I ate when I was growing up and people would leave me alone and let me do my own thing. When I was a teen, I hated dates who took me out to a nice or fancy restaurant because I would get so nervous that I would get sick at my stomach because I didn't want to have to order a full meal because I felt like I had to eat it all and I would be miserable. I remember one time when my sister and I double dated that she told me "Eat whatever you want, because they can afford it". The strange thing about it that I still remember after all these years, I really didn't want anything because I wasn't hungry. Back then I would cook for my sisters when Mama and Daddy were going out, but I didn't eat simply because I wasn't hungry.

Now that I'm eating the way I did when I was young, I am again eating only what I really want and nothing else. In fact, I'm cleaning out my kitchen... freezer and fridge. I told DH we have some things in our fridge that we haven't eaten and we really never will because we don't care about it. From now own, I'm not buying anything unless it is something we will eat. I've got stuff even in my freezer that was bought just because we should eat it because it is good for us, but we never eat them. NO MORE. I will cook and eventually eat what isn't ruined, but I'll get rid of all the other and never purchase those things again.

My life including my eating just might get enjoyable again.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #57  

Quote:
My life including my eating just might get enjoyable again.
Ahhhh!!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #58  
Downloading 10% complete

Trish, that is brilliant!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #59  

This morning I remembered that one time a doctor asked me "Have you ever been thin in your life?" I told him that I was thin when I was growing up and didn't have a weight problem until my early 20s. And even then that I had had times off and on through the years that I would weigh less.

He said, "Eat the way you ate when you were thin". It never occured to to me that it could be that simple. I guess because of all those telling me to diet. However, now that I'm combining IE with IF, my fasting blood sugar is coming back down and I'm not hungry all the time. When I want something to eat, I don't worry about if it is a good/bad food... I eat it if I really want it. And the amazing revelaltion this morning? This is exactly the way I ate when I was thin. I figure that in time, the weight will follow. Could it have been this simple all these years? And I wasted all those years following what "they" the "experts" said I should do. humph. It is worth the experiment to find out. I intend to continue eating this way and see what happens.

I think I would say to anyone who was ever thin in their lifetime the same thing that blessed doctor said to me (wish I knew who he was I would write him a thank you note).... Give it a shot. Eat the way you ate when you were thin.

Have a great day!!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #60  
Downloading 10% complete

Well, Trish... You're becoming the change you want to see in the world, and all that jazz Glad to hear your FBS is coming down

Where I'm at: I've got the hang of eating under 1400 cals with IE. I went all "diet-y" for a day and ate too many chocolates, the next day I stopped worrying and did what I'd been doing all along, and I've been coming in nicely under that, and forcing myself to go out for walks, because with the extra accountability with the numbers, I can see it makes a difference, as well as feeling better. I have had several stress-related chocolate cravings and ignored them on account of the numbers, choosing to spend my cals on the healthy foods I REALLY want, the ones that are driven by my body, not my mind. And finding other ways to deal with the stress is making my life easier. I don't feel deprived at all, my portion sizes are the same as they were when I was finding IE easier, I haven't started seeing foods as "good" or "bad", my trousers are nearly falling off me, I'm at 197-198, my plateau is at 196, and I feel ready to break through it, finally!! I've ordered 30DS to change up my exercise now the walking is getting a bit too easy... All in, feeling totally back on track and enjoying the journey again!