General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #481  

Quote:
Then I saw it on the menu. They do the chopped salad as a side! Yippee!!! I ended up ordering the calamari appetizer and a side salad! I could only eat 1/4 of the calamari and 1/2 of the salad before I was completely satisfied. Why settle?!?!
Sounds great!
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #482  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
I used to think I had lost my fullness meter too, but I found out that I actually still have one. I wasn't able to rediscover it though until I stopped dieting and allowed myself to eat what and how much I wanted.

At first, it took a LOT of food to feel full, but as I go along, I can feel the fullness earlier. Whether I choose to stop at that point or not seems to be different every day, but it's still there.

I think dieting buries that signal for most of us.

The other thing that helped me was to stop focusing on the IE guideline of only eating until full. That's one of the things that made IE into a type of "diet" for me.

I had to back off ALL those supposed rules and guidelines made by anybody other than myself in order to start eating normally again without fretting or obsessing about it, which I used to do constantly.
Becky, I've learned the same thing. I love the IE guidelines, I have to be careful not to make it into a diet. In fact, I'm skimming through Allen Carr's book Lose Weight Now the Easy Way again and listening to the CD. While looking for the book, I found the book I have called the NoDiet. The problem I found when I read the NoDiet book was that it became just another "diet" although the name implies that it isn't. I also agree that diets take away our ability to recognize our hunger/full/satisfied signals because we are eating whether hungry or not. As my doc told me when I asked him about this, "They don't want you to get hungry". My thought now is... we are made to think that hungry is a bad thing even the enemy instead of our friend as it should be.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #483  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

Hey folks, I'm back

As expected, the beans on toast week/s were pretty brutal. I've noticed myself eating when I'm not hungry because food has been scarce. Last night was such a relief!! Have been so overloaded on cheap carbs all I wanted was 4 lamb chops, they were beautiful! Was about to polish off some biscuits this morning and realised I'm on auto-pilot again. Have put on 5lbs, which is close to what I expected, and I can get my head (and wallet!!) back in the game again now Going shopping shortly, which might take me a while as I readjust to working out what I really WANT. The good thing is, because this is such a way of life now, it doesn't scare me that I've had a bad few weeks, sometimes other things become more important than food, but I can always readjust my priorities again, like I'm doing now

Booked my Doctor's appointment for Tuesday, 5 days away! I'm getting a locum doc as my usual dude's on holiday. I really hope she's kind to me!

Going to have a good read through this thread later as I've been MIA for a while. I hope everyone is doing well
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #484  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Welcome back Shiv. I've never fixed lamb chops...I might have to give that a try.

I've come here to confess. I just caught myself mindlessly eating. Someone handed me a piece of cake, I took it, and just started eating. I'm not even hungry!

The first bite was really yummy! By the 4th bite I realized I was paying more attention to an email than I was the cake. That's when I realized the cake had reached the point of diminishing returns and remembered I wasn't hungry. So why was I eating? I tossed the cake in the trash and I don't regret it, I don't miss not eating the rest of it one bit (or bite, lol).
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #485  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

I was feeling kind of sad because i'm at my second-highest weight ever, and i know i could gain even more before i lose...intuitive eating is something that will take a while to learn. But then, this morning i tried on a dress that i didn't think would fit, and it did...so i am feeling positive today.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #486  
Started IP 10/21/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl2 View Post
I was feeling kind of sad because i'm at my second-highest weight ever, and i know i could gain even more before i lose...intuitive eating is something that will take a while to learn. But then, this morning i tried on a dress that i didn't think would fit, and it did...so i am feeling positive today.
That's awesome surfergirl! I love it when clothes fit! Today I'm wearing a pair of jeans that were snug when I started eating better, and now they're baggie. It's a wonderful feeling!

For me, the hard part of IE isn't learning how to do it, it's unlearning all of the habits I've acquired after years of dieting.

I went to dinner with a friend last night and, still in my old habits, looked up the menu at work, decided what I was going order for dinner, and even looked at the calories. I ended up eating a late, and filling, breakfast so I wasn't hungry for lunch at all. Which worked out well because I was hungry when we went to dinner. I can tell you, my pre-scouted meal was quickly tossed out the window! I took my time and looked at everything on the menu until I finally found something that I wanted. A 10 inch personal pizza! I ate a little over a quarter of it before I was satisfied.

Who knows, the meal that I looked up may not have been as satisfying, and I might have eaten the whole thing trying to become satisfied.

I've noticed that I am eating less food, but enjoying it more. I'm not eating massive quantities of food that won't provide me complete satisfaction because it's low in calories/fat/carbs/what have you. I'm also finding it easier to say no to food. Before I would say "oh what the heck, sure, why not."
Old 05-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #487  

S/C/G: 200/167/150

Height: 5'10

That's it! I'm DONE with calorie counting. All it does is make me hungry and guilty! I try to stay under my "calculated" calorie goal, but unless I do 2 hours of cardio a day, I never can! So SCREW IT!!!!

I'm joining you gals! Eat well, eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm satisfied (not stuffed), and try to avoid mindless snacking. 150 lbs, HERE I COME, READY OR NOT!!!
Andrea85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #488  

Hi, just checking in to say hello. Nothing is really new here. Just started reading Allen Carr's book Lose Weight Now again. I relaxing twice a day listening to his CD while re-reading hoping to get rid of the brainwashing ideas of diets.

Shiv - Welcome back. How do you cook lamb chops? Tried cooking them in broiler like you do pork chops many, many years ago when my MIL were on one of those 3 or 4 day diets and it smelled awful. Trashed them and sent DH to get pork chops. However, I've heared they are really good and shouldn't have smelled that way. I could use any suggestions you could give me for cooking lamb and I'll try it again. Thanks

Missy - Great revelation and congratulations on ditching the cake when you realized you weren't hungry. Personally I think that was a real accomplishment ditching it after eating a few bites because you recognized 3 things... 1) you weren't hungry 2) after a few bites, it didn't taste good and 3) you didn't have to eat it.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #489  
Downloading 10% complete

Welcome, CoachAndrea! Hope you find IE as great an experience as I and many others have

Trish, I just put whatever herbs/spices on them I like, or take a small bit of garlic, pierce a hole in the middle of the chop and stick the garlic in, maybe add a bit of olive oil, and throw them on a low-medium heat grill until they're done. Usually takes around 15 minutes? Turn them over every few minutes to get them cooked through evenly. I'm no cook and I find it really easy This is how I do pork chops too.

I love tzatziki with lamb chops, hope it's ok if I post a link to the recipe I use
http://m.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle...zatziki-recipe

Btw, I hope chops are the same with you as in the UK... They're the little ones, kind of in an L shape? I've never tried cooking any bigger cuts, that's outwith my range of cooking skills!

While I'm here, I know loads of you don't weigh in, but it's good news for me anyway I was stuck at 194 after a 5lb regain during the beans on toast week. Got my head back in the game yesterday and had sweet potato with 2 chicken fillets, cheese, soured cream and guacamole, and 2 pints of milk. It was lovely, and I got a whoosh down to 190 today! I posted a thread on the 100lb club that PreciousMissy commented on... You were saying that weight might just drop right off once my eating goes back to normal? Well, there you are! You were absolutely right

Tracking my protein right now, as I'm trying to maintain my muscle mass to keep my metabolism going. Shooting for 100g+ per day as I'm always going for protein on IE anyway, and I want to make it compatible with lifting so my work gets me somewhere. WAY better than the calorie-counting experiment I did a few months ago. WAY BETTER
Old 05-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #490  

Quote:
Originally Posted by the shiv View Post
Welcome, CoachAndrea! Hope you find IE as great an experience as I and many others have

Trish, I just put whatever herbs/spices on them I like, or take a small bit of garlic, pierce a hole in the middle of the chop and stick the garlic in, maybe add a bit of olive oil, and throw them on a low-medium heat grill until they're done. Usually takes around 15 minutes? Turn them over every few minutes to get them cooked through evenly. I'm no cook and I find it really easy This is how I do pork chops too.

I love tzatziki with lamb chops, hope it's ok if I post a link to the recipe I use
http://m.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle...zatziki-recipe

Btw, I hope chops are the same with you as in the UK... They're the little ones, kind of in an L shape? I've never tried cooking any bigger cuts, that's outwith my range of cooking skills!

While I'm here, I know loads of you don't weigh in, but it's good news for me anyway I was stuck at 194 after a 5lb regain during the beans on toast week. Got my head back in the game yesterday and had sweet potato with 2 chicken fillets, cheese, soured cream and guacamole, and 2 pints of milk. It was lovely, and I got a whoosh down to 190 today! I posted a thread on the 100lb club that PreciousMissy commented on... You were saying that weight might just drop right off once my eating goes back to normal? Well, there you are! You were absolutely right

Tracking my protein right now, as I'm trying to maintain my muscle mass to keep my metabolism going. Shooting for 100g+ per day as I'm always going for protein on IE anyway, and I want to make it compatible with lifting so my work gets me somewhere. WAY better than the calorie-counting experiment I did a few months ago. WAY BETTER
In his book Lose Weight Now by Allen Carr says it is good to keep track of your weight although he says not to set a goal of how much you want to lose. He says you will know when you have reached what you should weigh because you will wake up in the morning ready to jump out of bed because you feel so good and you'll be happy with the shape of your body. So I don't feel bad or feel like I'm doing anything wrong because I still use my scales. I don't think .anyone else who is doing IE and still using their scales should either. We just need to use them wisely and not be obsessed with it. If we're not careful, that becomes another "diet" rule. I'm keeping my scale. JMHO

Thanks for for the recipes. Have a Happy Mother's Day

Last edited by pattygirl63; 05-11-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Thanks
Old 05-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #491  

S/C/G: 202.6/196.4/135

Height: 5´7

Hello there,

I just lurked here for a few minutes and saw that comment about an Allen Carr book. I stopped smoking with his other book and just borrowed the Weight Loss book on my phone. I am very curious about it.

I love the IE way but as a few mentioned here I need to stop seeing it as "rules". If I ask myself after every bite "am I hungry" I would go crazy. I just fix myself a good/reasonable portion and stop the mindless snacking. That helped a lot and is actually all my body needs. Always with the flexibility to eat whatever I want, whenever I want it - as long as I REALLY want it.

Do you guys have any other good recommendations for books on this topic?
Xena2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #492  
Downloading 10% complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena2013 View Post
Hello there,

I just lurked here for a few minutes and saw that comment about an Allen Carr book. I stopped smoking with his other book and just borrowed the Weight Loss book on my phone. I am very curious about it.

I love the IE way but as a few mentioned here I need to stop seeing it as "rules". If I ask myself after every bite "am I hungry" I would go crazy. I just fix myself a good/reasonable portion and stop the mindless snacking. That helped a lot and is actually all my body needs. Always with the flexibility to eat whatever I want, whenever I want it - as long as I REALLY want it.

Do you guys have any other good recommendations for books on this topic?
I agree about the rules... A few times I've got to the point of micromanaging it to death, and it's started to feel like a diet. Weird thing is, I always lose weight more easily when I DON'T do this, I'm gradually finding the happy medium between analysing it half to death and throwing caution to the wind and eating everything in sight

I've seen a lot of talk on here about The Overfed Head, and only realised about a month ago that it's available online as a free ebook/PDF. I read it in one night on my phone It's a nice manageable size and has a really good perspective. I read the Allen Carr book ages ago, and only connected it with IE back in December when I started doing this, so that was my starting point too A few years ago when I bought it though, I just wasn't mentally ready to accept the idea of IE, but now I am it makes so much more sense!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #493  
Started IP 10/21/15

Thanks Trish! I use to love cake, so tossing it was a big thing for me.

Shiv, whoo-hoo!!!! Not only do I get to hear that I was right, but you lost some pounds! It's a win/win for both of us .

Welcome Coachandrea!

Xena, Southernmaven has recommended Over Fed Head many times. I haven't read it so I can't personally comment on it. You can find it by google-ing the title and .pdf.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #494  

Had a good visit with my doctor this morning. My bs and weight was up which was no surprise to me. If I remember right since my last visit 3 mos ago, my weight was up about 9 lbs and my blood work test last week showed my glucose up 11 pts, but A1c was 7.2. The good news is that my overall cholesterol was normal. However, my triglycerides were almost in the high level end of normal which is 150... mine was 152. The HDL was low, but the LDL was normal. So doc said "Although your weight and bs was up some, the other numbers have improved" so he called it "a win".

I talked to him about the Intermittent Fasting. He didn't like the idea of a 24 hr fast although he said if I really wanted to that I could do it once a week if I wanted. I told him about me reading about eating fruit in the morning until noon and then a 5 to 8 hr eating window and that I was interested in doing the paleo way of eating which is kind of like I feel Allen Carr is encouraging people to eat most of the time althought Intuitively. And he approved of it. I had to laugh when he told me that he has many many friends who do the paleo diet and some of them tell him all the time how good beer is for you. I told him that I saw a man on tv who ate paleo and was eating raw organic/free range ground meat one day, but that I wasn't going to do it. I told him the theory I heard was if your great, great grandmother couldn't recognize it as food then don't eat it. I said that I know that their protein depended on what grandpa was able to shoot and kill to bring home that day, but I also know that she was smart enough to cook it and so do I. LOL So he okayed me eating up to 3 servings of fruit from the time I get up in the morning until I start eating and then eat my food within a 5 to 8 hr window depending on my hunger. I plan to make 7 or 8 pm my time to stop eating as long as I do not eat more than an 8 hr time period each day just to give my body a rest.

CoachAndrea85 and Xena2013
Old 05-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #495  
Started IP 10/21/15

Good morning all!

I'm going on a 4 day retreat this weekend. Everyone is sharing a house, have been divided into groups of two, and assigned to fix either a brunch or a dinner. I'm curious as to how it's going to work out for me since I will not have a say over when or what I eat. I guess I'll have to see how it all pans out!