General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #1  

Default Your Opinion PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am eating better these days. I have been for months and was loosing great. Maybe eating around 1500 calories a day or so. I wanted to go vegan so started eating less meat less dairy and more veggies and fruit. Well I eat 4 cups of veggies a day and 2 cups fruit. 3 ounces of chicken 1 cup skim milk no cheese or yogurt eat beans daily also. I can not get above 1000 calories eating all these veggies and my weight loss has stalled and I always feel bloated. I also drink 3-4 liters of water a day. Could the calories not being enough be making my body hold onto everything. I heard about bodies going into starvation mode and was wondering if this could be the cause.

Thanks
canadacatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Can you add nuts, nut butters, seeds, oil, avocado, whole milk, grains, bread, etc?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #3  

I can but trying not to eat too many carbs. And trying to get off high blood pressure meds.
Thanks
Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #4  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Starvation mode does not exist. Your metabolism may slow down a little bit but that's only if you eat absolutely nothing for at least 48 hours to 72 hours.

You could always try calorie-dense food to up your calories more. Avocados, nuts, nut butters, pastas (homemade or store-brought, up to you), cook your food with some oil. Maybe you could check out the vegetarian/vegan/etc threads and faqs as well as recipes on here for more ideas?
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #5  

So it really has nothing to do with lowering my calories. Cause when I was eating more I lost now I cant.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadacatman View Post
So it really has nothing to do with lowering my calories. Cause when I was eating more I lost now I cant.

Thanks
I don't go by scientific studies, I go by feedback from my body. Your body is giving you feedback. LIsten to it. If you lost more and felt better when you were eating more and different things, go back to that.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #7  

Ok thanks...
Old 07-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #8  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Admittedly, I did not see your weight when I saw your post. You should be losing something. When was the last time you lost something as in how long have you been doing this vegan-style way of eating? Give it a little more time and I'm sure you'll see something by then but I'd definitely encourage you to try your best reaching your caloric intake. If still nothing after say, 2 weeks... Maybe see a doctor? Good luck!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #9  

I have been doing this for about 3 weeks and lost 1 pound. My wife does it too with out loosing. We are both bloated all the time also.

Why would I need to see a doctor lol.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadacatman View Post
I have been doing this for about 3 weeks and lost 1 pound. My wife does it too with out loosing. We are both bloated all the time also.

Thanks
I think eating all this fiber is making you bloated, my guess is it will get better as you get used to the food and fiber you're eating...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #11  
camper

S/C/G: 215/154/145

Height: 5'7 and 1/2

I would have to disagree with Amandie. Do some research on what your BMR is. This is the total calories your body uses in a day if you were just doing nothing. If you go below this number, your body can stop letting go of fat. There are many BMR calculators on line. I have started to lose again after raising my calories.
camper67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #12  

Thanks and yes it was mostly the fibre and this pre cooked chicken that was high in sodium making me bloated. Again Ilene THANKS