General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #211  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I'm making a public declaration today to get back to my fast-5 approach to eating (window 1pm-6pm). Felt a little hungry around 9:30am-chewed some sugarless gum-then did a tai chi workout. That helped me get past the 'hungries' for a little while. It's almost noon, so I think I'll make it

I lost 18 lbs, 2 yrs ago following this way of eating and got to my goal weight, then had a neck injury, started eating like crap, cause I felt like crap, and now I weigh more than I did then--so time to get back to it!!!
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #212  

I'm doing a 24 hour fast today. It's noon and I'm bored as heck at work. This is always the worst part for me. I'm hungry. :/
odalisque0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #213  

Sorry you are bored Odalisuqe! That is the hardest time to fast. Read, chew gum, anything! Good luck.

Hi ddc. Welcome back to this great lifestyle!

I am back on plan after a 1 week vacay in Greece. I started off doing ok, but then the bkfast buffet that we had included in our hotel stay started to call my name and I was not able to resist. I ate it several days in a row (a ton) on a full stomach from the big dinners from the night before. Needless to say, I know I gained plenty. I am not weighing, no way. It would be too depressing. However, my work out plan and diet are back in order.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #214  

Kitchen girl and jumpforjoy- I struggle too with being VERY hungry during my eating times sometimes. Just try the best you can not to overeat so you don't get in too many calories.

One thing that helps me is to have a BIG cup of hot tea during or right after dinner. It does help to fill me up. Even with snacks. I think it also helps my brain to register fullness and satisfaction from eating. I add a touch of milk to my black tea, but green and oolong are always sugarfree and milk free.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #215  
Dancer need to lose some

S/C/G: 160/148/120

Height: 5'2"

Newbie to the site and also a newbie to IFing.... Just got done with day 1.
Hotpink88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #216  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Hi everyone. A few months ago I was able to lose 12 pounds from calorie counting but then I hit a plateau so I decided to take a break and maintain.. I've been mainting for a few months and I'm glad I didn't gain any weight back but I'm ready to lose the rest of it. I wanna try a different approach this time and do IF.

That being said, can someone provide some helpful links so that I have an idea of where to start?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Bloopers; 09-12-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #217  
Dancer need to lose some

Day 2 out of 7 IF, but I still got 9 hours to go so I can eat a nice small bowl of salad.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #218  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopers View Post
That being said, can someone provide some helpful links so that I have an idea of where to start?
Mark Sisson's website has several excellent articles on IF; the ones below are good for beginners:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/#axzz26GdaW91a

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...#axzz26GdaW91a

Here is the official Fast 5 site where you can download the (short) e-book and read about the program: http://www.fast-5.com/

It's completely free, contains a lot of great info about the benefits of fasting (results from studies and clinical trials), and also provides some very easy instructions for getting started. It's also really short, and of course you can skip the medical info/study results and get to the "how to" part.

Good luck (I've been so inconsistent lately I'm going to re-read all of these myself just get motivated... )
lilith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:38 AM   #219  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith9 View Post
Mark Sisson's website has several excellent articles on IF; the ones below are good for beginners:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/#axzz26GdaW91a

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...#axzz26GdaW91a

Here is the official Fast 5 site where you can download the (short) e-book and read about the program: http://www.fast-5.com/

It's completely free, contains a lot of great info about the benefits of fasting (results from studies and clinical trials), and also provides some very easy instructions for getting started. It's also really short, and of course you can skip the medical info/study results and get to the "how to" part.

Good luck (I've been so inconsistent lately I'm going to re-read all of these myself just get motivated... )
Thanks!! I will definitely read them! Good luck yourself!
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #220  
Dancer need to lose some

Back to drinking lots of water today and little workouts...
Old 09-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #221  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Regarding the health benefits of intermittent fasting ...

Some information came out that was interesting in the last couple weeks. They have been doing long term calorie restriction on monkeys to see if it does indeed extend their lives like it does in mice.

Bottom line is ... no it doesn't. However, it does eliminate practically all disease that causes premature death.

If you don't know what I'm talking about ... one reason in theory to intermittent fast is there are health benefits. In animal studies intermittent fasting has mimiced the health benefits of calorie restriction without having to restrict calories. (There is a whole group of people called CRONIES who restrict calories in an attempt to extend their lives)

Summary - intermittent fasting probably won't extend your life but it will make the life you live better due to helping ward off disease.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #222  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/140

Height: 5' 6"

Is anyone here doing IF as part of maintenance? I am nearly at goal, and want to continue with IF for the health benefits rather than for weight loss. The problem I see is that if I don't heat for 2 days per week, I need to make up those calories in the rest of the week to stay stable... that's quite a big calorie increase on my eating days...
MissD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #223  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissD View Post
Is anyone here doing IF as part of maintenance? I am nearly at goal, and want to continue with IF for the health benefits rather than for weight loss. The problem I see is that if I don't heat for 2 days per week, I need to make up those calories in the rest of the week to stay stable... that's quite a big calorie increase on my eating days...
I have been maintaining for well over a year IFing.

It's not hard to increase calories ... worst case you can just drink them. I wish I had this problem ...

Also - you might be surprised at how few lbs you would need to lose to become stable. What I mean is you might hit 137 and then maintain on your current calorie level.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #224  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/140

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I have been maintaining for well over a year IFing.

It's not hard to increase calories ... worst case you can just drink them. I wish I had this problem ...

Also - you might be surprised at how few lbs you would need to lose to become stable. What I mean is you might hit 137 and then maintain on your current calorie level.
This is really helpful, thanks. I'm goimg to give it a try and see what happens
MissD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #225  

I haven't been on the scales in about a month or more, but I probably want to lose about 5lbs or so and have used IF as more of a maintenance during late spring and summer. It has become a WOL so that I can eat good foods and bigger meals when I eat.