General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:07 AM   #1  

Default Shangri La Diet?

Hi, anyone else here on the Shangri La diet (the one where you take a couple of tablespoons of flavorless oil to repress the appetite)? I started it a few days ago, and it seems to be very helpful!
littlemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:14 AM   #2  
too big to fail

I hope it works for you and doesn't turn out to be too good to be true like the original Shangri-la.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #3  

Thanks Demosthenes! Me too
Old 03-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #4  

The truth is, that I've been doing for about a week (did some other dieting previously, which is how I lost most of the 6 pounds I've lost so far) - and I've been amazed by the results. I take one tablespoon of extra light olive oil first thing in the morning, and then wait 1 hour before tasting anything else (you have to take the oil in the middle of a two hour taste-free window - including no toothpaste or gum!). I take another teaspoon or two right before bed. My appetite has decreased significantly, and I'm easily able to keep my calorie intake within the recommended amount for losing 1-2 pounds per week (I'm using the loseit app). I'm also working out 3 times a week, using podrunner to work up to a 5 k jog, and doing some light weightlifting.

Usually when I diet I get hungrier than usual and spend most of my time thinking about food. This time has been very different so far!

I'm curious whether anyone else here has used the "shangri la" trick to reduce appetite.

I'm hoping to lose about 20-25 more pounds - I've been somewhat overweight since my two boys were born (oldest is ten, youngest is 5), and I'm determined to see it through this time! :-)
Old 03-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 172/Ticker/122

Height: 5'4"

i can see why it would work...oil is pure fat and whenever I consume something high fat (like peanut butter or even something oily), I feel full for much longer
sparklegirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #6  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I did a little investigation into it last month and read quite a bit. They have their own message boards for it, which was actually the quickest proof to me that the core of their arguments are built on some very flimsy pseudo-science.

That said, just because they've concocted theories with little scientific back-up about some of the diet's key points, doesn't necessarily invalidate them - just means their reasoning may not be right.

Fat promotes satiety - that IS known. And there IS a school of thought, that is very well-supported, that argues we should get more of our daily calories from healthy fats.

So - the tablespoon of oil may really help you stay within your calorie goals by decreasing your hunger. But I'd encourage you to read up on the different types of oils and benefits. I have some coconut oil almost daily, and it's been helpful.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/198/145

Height: 5'6"

i just started this diet last night, and i have to say i'm excited about it! from what i read on their forums, it is supposed to take about a week to start working, but i'm thinking that varies for different people. i can already tell the appetite suppressant effect!

my only problem is nausea. i'm hoping it will settle down in time, i don't want to live on pepto *gross*

if anyone else has or has had this problem, i would love some input. i've taken to oil both on an empty stomach, and an hour after eating. doesn't seem to matter either way, i still get sick.

thanks so much
starryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Placebo
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

John, is a man of few words.......but true words.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote