General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/220/145

Height: 5'6''.25

Default how fast can I lose weight to avoid extra skin issue?

I have no problem with eating like a supermodel (without doing drugs and alcohol ) because my addiction is simply cured. I cured it in July 2011 but since then I didnt lose much until a month ago because I kept believing I don deserve being pretty, since a month ago I think I oh-so-deserve to be pretty so now all the obstacles are gone and I just dont have an appetite.

1) maybe this is another thread worthy but just to ask - did anyone had a weird appetite changes after being on a diet - for example, I became a fish addict, LOL, i want to eat a fish EVERY DAY. Before I would eat it 1x a month. I dont crave meat, sweats (i never liked chocolate though), but I noticed I only prefer fish and green salad. Sometimes I dont have time in my stomach for 30 hours and need to MAKE myself eat. I can thank this to a psychotherapy that made a switch* (this is also topic-worthy but dont want to confuse people bc it might not work for everyone)

TO THE POINT

I got 100+ lbs in 5 yrs, since I was 18. I was only chubby before, and never fat, from childhood. So I got around 20 lbs/year, last 5 years. I didnt have a stretchmarks until 1,5 yr ago when I got them on the inner sides of my arms and on my belly. Now they faded and it looks okay since I am pale so they aren't noticable.

But LOSE SKIN, I read that it rarely is possible to not have it if you were 250 lbs or more.

So I want to avoid having it, and I pray that my relatively short period of being overweight + my age + my good skin (used to be good? ), will minimize the damage

QUESTION
I am 220 lbs now and 5'6'', no lose skin but awful stomach (i will add photos these days) and I am in-a-hurry to get to the some, IMO, "healthy" weight of 190, after that it doesnt matter THAT much, but 190 is upper limit to where I can feel sexy and healthy/healthier.

So theorethically I can lose those 30 pounds in 40 days with my tempo, i've done it before when I wasnt fat, etc., but if that will destroy my skin I will slow down on purpose...

would losing 20 pounds a month, just at the beginning of a diet, be too fast for skin problems?

When I get under 190 I can go with 8lbs per month, i dont care, just want to get to a healthy&sexy level ASAP, at 190

Sorry for so long post - I cant formulate my thoughts
FreeSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:14 AM   #2  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

My doctor recommended losing no more than 1-2 lbs. a month to minimize loose skin. Exercises that build muscle are also supposed to help minimize and shrink loose skin. And don't forget to drink your water and all that stuff.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:33 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by theox View Post
My doctor recommended losing no more than 1-2 lbs. a month to minimize loose skin. Exercises that build muscle are also supposed to help minimize and shrink loose skin. And don't forget to drink your water and all that stuff.
WOW, well, though I do believe him, I am young and that would mean I will be at 190 in 1,5 years... I dont want to grow old fat.

also, i dont know how to pull that off because I dont have big appetite and without trying I cant lose under 12 lbs a month, no way. I dont even exercise, when I start, it will go very fast, and I am not a teenager anymore to be happy to lose 40 pounds in a month, now I see there can be concequences... I guess if I cant eat anymore I should just be very physically active to built muscules.

thanks for reply anyway

Last edited by FreeSoul; 01-01-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #4  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
Well first of all losing 30 lbs in 40 days means you're nea rly fasting, which means you're losing more lean muscle. Losing lean muscle means saggy, droopy fatty skin.

Starving yourself like that without exercising, also means saggy, droopy, fatty skin.

The way to MINIMIZE (you can't avoid it entirely - because your genetics come into play) saggy skin is to lose weight in a HEALTHY MANNER and EXERCISE.

Stop looking on this as some kind of race and start thinking about your health and your life.
That.

Be good to your body, and your body will be good to you!
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #5  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I agree with others, the best way to lose weight is by preserving muscle mass. That means eating a balanced diet with a decent amount of protein and veggies AND exercise. Eating super low calorie will drop the weight but most of what you're losing is water weight and muscle. If anything that's going to give you saggy skin, dehydrate you, and puts you at major risk of regaining it quickly!

You don't need to go as slow as 1-2lbs/month (although sometimes that is all that I lose, these things can be majorly unpredictable!) but shoot for something more like 5lbs/month and don't obsess over it. Sometimes you might lose more, sometimes less. Some people are able to pull off 10lbs/month but that's definitely NOT me!!!

Now, if your goal is 190lbs there's a good chance you won't have saggy skin if you lose weight in a healthy manner. I have saggy skin but I also gained my weight very quickly (during pregnancy) and I've had a kid so there are other factors there. I don't have saggy skin anywhere else on my body besides my bust/stomach so I might just be able to attribute that to good genes, slow weight loss, and lots of weight lifting!

I just can't emphasize enough that exercise should be part of your life, not just eating significantly less. While eating super low calorie will help you drop the weight, exercise will make you look and feel better. It doesn't mean you have to run a marathon there are TONS of different options out there (many of which don't necessarily mean joining a gym or even leaving your house).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #6  

thanks everyone for reply! It is just that i wanted to get to 190 as soon as possible because i will feel more like "me", in my head i am still 130 lbs like 5yrs ago and i avoided the truth while binging and now when i am not thw time -in-between- where i am not binging and in denial and i am not yet *cured* and dont look like myself, is the hardest.

i am really not fasting! ai just eat when i am hungry which happe s to be up to 800kcal per day which looks like fasting but i dont have appettite. i also eat a lot of salad, fruits, fish etc so variety of food. Maybe I lost appettite because I got in love and because I started to take Xanax and it reduces my appettite (at least some worth to it) and therapy... but definately not fasting

so i can expect to be at 190 maybe in 4 months... wow

my final goal is 128
Old 01-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #7  

Hello,

First I wanted to say that it's perfectly normal to want to eat the same foods, or the same few foods over and over again for months. For millions of years our ancestors could only eat what was in season. This applied to vegetables and animals as animals and fish normally migrate according to seasons and before there were any fences. Our tastes and stomachs are conditioned to eat the same few things for months and then to switch to some new few foods for months.

On the slack skin problem I can say don't do what I did and lose around 14lbs in 6 weeks. Too much, too fast, and now too much skin that will never go.
Intotouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #8  

Intotouch, thanks for sharing your bad experience - i will definately now think about changing my diet. Too bad that 12 pounds in 6 weeks was never "fast" in my book, I guess it could be about age? I am still in teenage mindset about some things

about food - well normal or not it has not happened to me before with the food i DIDNT like ever. fish was never my thing. I am from Mediterrenean so Mediterrenian cuisine is in my genetics, my father and grandparents lived their whole lives on olive oil, fishes etc but i didntb AT ALL, never. So it could be genetics. It is currently winter here so Definately NOT fish season. All seasonal food I don prefer now. Maybe I am setting into my natural food type, that I didnt have before becaue i was addicted to sugar. But fish remains my favorite lol - just to state again i HATED fish before. I was all pizza, fast food lover now i cant even taste it, i still love fast food but it feels like torture
Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
Well first of all losing 30 lbs in 40 days means you're nea rly fasting, which means you're losing more lean muscle. Losing lean muscle means saggy, droopy fatty skin.

Starving yourself like that without exercising, also means saggy, droopy, fatty skin.

The way to MINIMIZE (you can't avoid it entirely - because your genetics come into play) saggy skin is to lose weight in a HEALTHY MANNER and EXERCISE.

Stop looking on this as some kind of race and start thinking about your health and your life.
how much kcal per day do you suggest me to eat ? thanks for advice btw., i am finally comin to senses!

I must say that I got to a 3rd year of medical school so I know biochemistry and metabolism, which was my favorite course, very well, but with goig from 130 to 220+ in few years I also got AT LEAST 35 pounds of muscle. Thats thefact that everybody ignore. Carrying my body was also weight lifting which provided more muscle.

Last edited by FreeSoul; 01-05-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #10  

If my BMR is 1675, and you count in my 100 extra pounds, each spends 2 kcal for her BM, i could go with 1475? Or fat also needs support?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #11  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSoul View Post
If my BMR is 1675, and you count in my 100 extra pounds, each spends 2 kcal for her BM, i could go with 1475? Or fat also needs support?
BMR is the base number it takes your body to function. You definitely don't want to go lower than that!

If your maintenance calories (what you can eat and not gain or lose any weight) is 2303, you should subtract from that in order to lose. As Kara mentioned, subtracting 500-600 calories per day would be a good place to start. Based on the maintenance number she calculated, eating 1700-1800 calories per day should help you to lose at a healthy pace.

Last edited by Blueberries; 01-05-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #12  

well there is also one issue that urged me to eat very little. I have hypothyreosis and it is very developed, i take 200 mg of thyroxine per day which huge dosage. ALL weight (100 pounds) was gained right after i started taking hormones, I got 20 pounds in the first month because they opebed m appetite, that was 2007. I was 130ish then.
so i was on a diet for few times in these years for more than 40 days with 1200 or less calories and id lose not even 4 pounds becausr my metabolism is so slow so i wanted to be secure and eat very little

hypothyreosis can reduce BMR up to 40%, at one point i didnt go to toilet for 5 days because it got that slow. It also urges me to eat more because my digestion works better when i eat more and when i eat little i have tummy pain because i cant poop so this was also a factor to overeat because once i would tummy pain would stop very soon

so i guess i cant know my bmr this way

maybe i should take expected and remove -20% or find medical wa to measure it but I heard those arent very precise
Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 AM   #13  

hm yeah i coule lose fast if i fast that i meant in an initial post but when i go to something more "normal" like 100-1500 i am afraid i wont lose becauee that happens a few times in the past. I just forgot to mention hypo, i mentioned it in my introduction thread, sorry.
I think I will stick to 1400, my metabolism is slower so that should be okay. For 2 months, after that i will slow down even more
Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #14  

just like i suspected, i've been eating for 7-10 days more, like 1500 kcal or less, and i have more pounds than before! about 7 pounds more!!1! no, i havent been working out so i didnt gain muscle.
it's just that my metabolism is obviously too slow for over 1000 kcal.
so dont just jump on someone online with your opinion like it is scientifically proven because people can have slower metabolism...
Old 01-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #15  

You are doing something that is terrible for your health and you will pay the price for it down the road.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote