General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #16  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Well, funny how I've been a slug since I got the core (two days ago) as I got a nasty head cold. THough I was happy to see despite being WAY under active, I was still (hopefully) burning more than I was taking in.

Today is a massive house cleaning day, so I'll see if that registers on the core or not. I think it will as I already have about half the daily steps that I did yesterday and I've barely started my cleaning!

OK.... off to work. Time to start load two of laundry and do some dishes (pots and pans) by hand.

WHen mom gets sick, all heck breaks loose in the house and MIL comes home this evening. MUST get it picked up by then.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 192/134/127

Height: 5'3.75"

Hope you are feeling better! Good luck cleaning up!
moviegrl1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #18  
Melissa

Grr.... I've been on my feet working in the kitchen for the last 1.5 hours. I've done 3 loads of laundry, a crapload of dishes by hand, scrubbed the 36" cooktop, scrubbed the microwave, the window sills, the cabinet fronts, the refrigerator front, the toaster oven and wiped down the kitchen island and sorted the mail. It says I've had 1200 steps in that time (about) and 3 minutes of activity. So much for thinking this thing would be good to measure working around the house. If it continues to not really register housework, I'll return it... I think part of the problem is that it's on the left arm and if you are right handed, you WORK with your right hand mostly. GRRRR>>>>

When I put in 1.5 hours of housework on MyNetDiary.com it has me as burning 435 calories in that time. I'm not seeing that kind of climb on the Core. (though I haven't looked too much at it, but if it only has me as doing a total of 4 minutes of activity today, it's not looking good).

Otherwise this is basically just a pedometer that happens to track my sleep...

Not feeling the love right now. It's an expensive pedometer!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #19  

Oh no! I have the bugg, so I know it's different, but do you have the display? Maybe it's not syncing with the display properly? I seem to remember reading in one of the earlier threads some issues with that.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #20  
Melissa

I have the display. I'm now at 2833 steps and 6 minutes total of activity. So it registered about 600 steps in the last hour. Again, all on my feet. I just folded a big bin of laundry, started another load, wiped down more in the kitchen and ran up and down the stairs a couple times with boxes (two flights).
Old 02-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #21  

Does it show calories burned as well as steps? Mine has registered 47 minutes of activity for the day but well over 1000 calories burned.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #22  

BerryBlondeBoys - I might be wrong, but I think "activity" counts the time your heart rate is over a certain level? I can't seem to find my instruction manual at the moment, but I'll keep looking
LindaWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #23  
Melissa

I was just looking for that and you know what? Either I don't have a full manual or they don't send one. I think active is for heart rate (as there is moderately and very) and I was only moderately for 24 minutes which I believe... Scrubbing stuff isn't very aerobic unless you are mopping floors or something.

I don't know... it gave me 600 calories over my BMR for about 10 hours of working around the house yesterday. Maybe I just "think" it should be more?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #24  
Melissa

So, totals for yesterday...

I was cleaning or grocery shopping or cooking for 10 hours yesterday and that is an underestimate - on my feet that entire time.

It has my steps at: 8428
My total calories burned at: 2529
My active minutes at (moderately active): 24
My BMR, by the way is: 1522 according to MyNetDiary.com
Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #25  

IDK, I never even thought to question my numbers.
I don't know my BMR, but if I compare the calories I burn doing Turbo Fire from my HRM to my BB they are pretty close, so I'm figuring it's as close as anything will be. I don't know that anything is 100%.
I'm sorry that it doesn't seem to be living up to your expectations. Are you going to keep with it, or do you think you'll be sending it back?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #26  

Here's my stats from yesterday:

Calories burned: 2147
Calories consumed: 1400
Calorie deficit: 774
Steps: 11,236

My BMR is really low too - about 1500-1600. It sucks to be old!
LindaWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #27  

According to the app I just got for my iPhone mine is less than 1400, so I think you're both lucky
Old 02-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 191/170.6/150

Height: 5'4"

Melissa, you're numbers sound about right to me. You have the Body Media Fit correct? I think I read something in one of the old threads about how you can adjust the METs for what is considered moderate or vigorous activity.

I didn't really register a lot of details because I ended up going with the BB. I found a killer deal on it & didn't think the sleep monitor was enough to justify the extra $80.00. Plus I sleep like a log. I don't need a monitor to tell me that. lol

Another thing that I learned from the thread is that over time these devices seem to "learn" your body better. I've had mine for not quite 5 weeks & I'm still in love.

I've lost 7 lbs. & don't feel like I've really been "dieting" which in my opinion is a good thing.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Kim
kandd416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #29  
Melissa

Well, yesterday this is my stats:

Calories burned: 1988
Calories consumed: 1385
Active minutes (equivalent of a walk): 7 minutes
Steps taken: 4501
Sleep: 4 hours 40 minutes (and this is correct)

Not 'too' bad since I have a nasty cold zapping my energy. I haven't been able to really work out as I can't breathe and I feel horrible. I will be doing yoga tonight and bodypump (resistance training) tomorrow, so I'll finally get to test it on some more active stuff.

Weight has gone down 3 pounds since I got it this week, but that is not because of this, it's because it's the "whoosh" time of the month for me. 1.8 pounds to go to get to my all time low.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #30  
working to 130

S/C/G: 254.8/2546/130

i have the body media fit advantage, basically the standard in body media's line of monitors. i think the problem most people have when using these devices is coming to terms with the fact that the machines at the gym, and online calorie estimates are so over inflated. i think we all want to believe that we're burning a ton of calories when that might not be the case. it was a hard slap in the face for me when i started to realize that i wasn't burning all that i thought i was. i work out with a trainer and when i synced up after our session i was shocked to see that resistance training was only burning like 250-300 calories, closer to 250. I wasn't sweating like crazy or really feeling the burn, so I guess it makes sense. I was working hard, but not like during a turbokick class.

You do have to change the mets so that it will monitor exercise the way you want it to, based on what you want to be vigorous or moderate activity.

the more i've used it the more i think its gotten to know me, and i am becoming more aware of when i'm going to fall short on my calorie burn. i am working on being more consistent on my food logging so that i can get a better idea of how many calories i'm actually eating.
MangoLover is offline   Reply With Quote