General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:00 AM   #1  
yehaw!!

S/C/G: 220/166/150

Height: 5'3

Exclamation diet.... diarrhea???

Ok ... I have been making better choices and taking control of my body (don't like the word diet) for a bit over a mont. So far I have lost. 28lbs!!!!yay. Well today I decided to eat dinner with the fam instead of eating my lately norm of some white fish or lean chicken and salad. I make a homemade mexican skillet with rice and beef... so I wrote down everything as I put it in and figured the total calories for the whole thing then I measured to find out how many clories was in each serving.....worked out to 400cal/cup. So I had 1 cup. It was the first ground beef I have eaten in 5weeks. Now I have.. yucky diarrhea. Is this normal?
I kinda chalk it up to my body regecting the grease and fat... or could it be ecoli???
Even though it was sooo yummy and in my calorie limet (1000/day) I wish I haddnt eaten it....
brillmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/see ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

I don't think that you will get diareah if you haven't eaten meat for awhile and then you suddenly eat it. I mean it just doesn't make sense why your body would react that way. Maybe the meat you had wasn't as fresh as you thought it was? Also did your meal contain only rice and meat?
pointless2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

My body does do this (quite often actually), especially if I get into a routine of the same foods for a couple weeks. As soon as I add/introduce something back into my diet that I haven't had in a while my stomach does get quite upset. I do have IBS though - I'm not saying you have IBS, so please don't be alarmed - but I do think it is quite common that some foods can upset your stomach in that way if you haven't had it in a while.

But keep an eye on your family to see if anyone else reacts to it, perhaps it was contaminated meat or wasn't quite prepared properly.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I know quite a few people (self included) who react like this to high amounts of fat after a long term low-fat eating plan.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I've heard a lot of stories of people reacting badly to meat if they haven't eaten it in a while. It could be that or a variety of things, though.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

I have heard of a number of people who've had icky side effects from eating higher fat foods after having cut them out for a long period of time.

The body gets used to not having them.

That being said, we're no doctors so it could be a number of things. I (personally) would think if it lasts more than two days that I'd go into the doctor and check things out.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #7  

Id say it was from not having beef for some time, then going back to it. Tummy doesnt like changes.
cookinmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:12 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Is there a specific reason that at your weight you are eating 1000 calories or less per day? That is extremely low calories and you should be consulting with a doctor if you are consistently eating under 1000 calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #9  
yehaw!!

It my height 5'3 and low activety level I don't need many more calories. I should idealy way at or less than 120. The calculator thing said I should eat. 1200 to maintain 120 so I went off that.
My taco skillet last night had beef rice lots of diced up tomatoes onionsfresh cilantro a whole bunch!! Taco seasoning and cheese.
And I am feeling a ton beeter this am. Except I lost over a pound yesterday probly do to waterloss so I will be hydrating today!!!!!
Thanks for all you info!
Old 07-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #10  
Just Me

Although calculators are notorious for being off, you'd need to reduce from the amount to maintain your current weight, not goal weight. So if a calculator said you would maintain at 1200 at your goal weight, that would mean that if you ate your goal weight maintenance calories, you'd lose weight. Also if you plugged in your current weight and got a maintenance calorie estimate, eating less than your current weight's maintenance level would result in weight loss.

If you plugged into a calculator for your current height, weight, age, gender, etc - it might say that your maintenance calories are 2000 (which is not an unusual number for someone near 200 lbs). So that would mean if you ate less than 2000, you'd lose weight.

Anyway, I would highly recommend look into upping your calories. Healthy fats are a good way to do it. I saw in another post where you said that you are eating 600 or 700 calories on a regular basis which really is too low without doctor supervision and some supplements designed for very low calories. I also think even if you were hitting 1000 calories, that is a bit low for someone who weighs close to 200 lbs. If you got down to 130 and found difficulty in losing weight, I could understand going down to 1000.

Often when people go too low on calories, they find it backfiring on them in the end. Which is why the general recommendation is to eat a moderate amount of calories, anywhere between 1200 to 1800 for most people will result in weight loss unless you are really close to goal.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:28 PM   #11  
yehaw!!

Thatnk you for the advice.... honestly I haveent a clue wth I am doing. All I kno is I want to be healthy and if I eat anything near 2000 a day I gain weight... it sucks. I just want to be happy with myself. I want to see a pic of me and say "wow I don't look horrible" and be able to run and ruffhouse with my kids without running out of breath...those few days aren't my regular. I typicaly have very close to 1000 or a lttle over. I jusr wasn't hungery... I have lost 20 lbs and I have also lost my appitite. I used to crave and I mean die for sweets now. Last night I bdecided to try a cookie from my sisterinlaws. Took a snall nibble offbthe edge and it wasn't even good... I am dedicated to ding whatever it takes..
Old 08-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #12  
Just Me

Oh I'm with you on eating 2000 calories and gaining so I understand. I think maybe if you had access to a nutritionist that might help? You could be missing out on some important nutrients. Also, eating extremely low fat for long periods of time can result in gall stones which is why I'd recommend upping calories a little bit with healthy fats.

It is all a learning process but it is also establishing healthy habits for life.