General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:12 AM   #61  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 165/156/145

Height: 5'8"

My goal this week is to pause and do "satiety checks" in the middle of my meals. I have been forgetting this a lot lately.
Katterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #62  

Some really sad family issues right now. Sorry I haven't been here.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #63  

I'm just so amazed how in 4 yr. I got over certain cravings like Cadbury chocolate almond bars. Just don't need them anymore.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #64  
Mindful Eater

How is everyone doing this week?

I think I am doing okay. There's nothing terribly tempting in the house, so I have to get creative. I am very much looking forward to visiting town next week so I can get more groceries and the hubby and I can indulge at our favorite Chinese buffet.

I have also been exercising more. I have more or less plateaued at this weight for the past six months, so I think I need to shake things up a bit. I've been needing more activity anyway since the weather got so cold.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #65  

Hi Katterina. My daughter's husband left her last week so it has been so sad here lately. She has a one year old boy and a 3 yr. old girl. I've been kind of in a daze. I can see how people go to food for comfort, though I haven't been very hungry lately.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #66  

Snowed in here and the power was out for a couple hours. Beautiful but veryyy cold.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #67  

I was just wondering if you burn more calories in cold weather so I googled it and this is what I found.

The nice thing about being outside when the weather is cold is that you burn more calories. Who would have thought that you could literally stand still in the winter outside and burn calories. Want to know why? Sure you do!

Your body is programmed to maintain a temperature of 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 37.0 degrees Celsius. With that being said, your core temperature drops when you are outside. Therefore, your body needs to exert energy to bring the temperature back up (this can be in the form of shivering) which burns calories. I'm not saying that by standing outside you will lose 10 pounds, but you WILL burn a small amount of calories simply by standing out in the cold.

Do I recommend this for weight loss? No. How boring is that! But it is a fun fact to make you think about how the body burns calories to exert energy, which increases the body's core temperature. There's your fun fact of the day!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #68  

Forgot to say that was from bodybuilding.com.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #69  

Hi everyone, I am thrilled I found this thread.

After a lifetime of dieting, I just can't do it anymore. My last waste of money was on the new and improved Weight Watchers. I won't even bore you with having to carry a points calculator around with you all the time. And that was the least of it.

I have many books on non dieting techniques. But I've never really committed until now. Right now I am rereading a book called I can Make You Thin by Paul McKenna. It's a corny title, but a wonderful little book, clearly summarizing techniques to keep from overeating.

Are you reading any particular book? If so, I'd like to join in. Thanks for being here!
luvmyellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #70  

Someone here posted a link to a thread about Intuitive Eating and Maintenance/weight loss, and said it took the wings out of their sails.

I read those posts over carefully, and no offense to the posters but some of the statements made, like "intuitive eating is proven not to work for the obese" or the statement made that a lot of these authors are just in it for financial gain, etc. and before/after photos are a sham...

well, frankly, I would take all of THAT with a grain of salt when no bibliographies or studies are linked or referred to, to back up the statements.

I believe that intuitive eating works, and I'm out to prove them wrong. I KNOW that when I eat mindfully and more slowly I eat less without counting calories. Like diets, I just never kept it up. This time I'm committed.

I know this works. Let's prove the naysayers wrong. Anyone want to join me?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #71  

ella, I have lost 30lb and kept it off, though I could lose more. This is the only thing that has ever worked for me.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #72  

Thank you Carol.

Carol, I think 30 lbs. is fantastic! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You should feel so good about yourself - and all without dieting! Carol, are you reading any books on the subject, or just being mindful?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:05 AM   #73  
Mindful Eater

Carol: Sorry to hear about the family crisis. Truly devastating. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

luvmyellabella Welcome! And yes, I agree. Inflammatory statements like some on that IE maintenance thread have zero credibility with me unless someone is speaking from objective personal experience or directly quoting from scholarly sources of published scientific research.

I think many people have an incomplete understanding of IE. I notice that most people say things like, "I would get fat if I ate as much as I wanted whenever I wanted," when that is not IE at all. Head hunger and physiological hunger are two different things, just as wants and needs are often very different. That sort of statement also reveals that the person has never actually tried IE, or they would have said, "When I did IE..."

I'm not sure why IE has such a bad rap on this board. IE seems very much like a common sense approach to weight loss and healthy eating habits to me. A year into this, I eat far more whole foods than before because they look and taste good to me. I don't even think to shop in the candy or junk food aisles because those foods are no longer appealing.

Sorry, off my soapbox. I just get annoyed when I see people running around poo-pooing every plan except the one they are on... especially without presenting objective facts.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #74  

"A year into this, I eat far more whole foods than before because they look and taste good to me. I don't even think to shop in the candy or junk food aisles because those foods are no longer appealing."

I feel the same way. I can't get over how good an apple or a banana tastes now. Kind of like when we were kids.

Thanks, Katterina for your kind words.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #75  

Ella, I have read a lot of books. I guess my favorite is The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens. Intuitive Eating by Resch and Tribole is very comprehensive.