General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 09:49 PM   #1  

Default What do you eat while on a High Protein diet

My mom heard a lady talking at her fitness class about doing the high protein diet and loosing 10 lbs in 1 week. I am interested in this but i have no clue of what i can eat & not eat. Does anyone have a diet plan for this
Old 03-13-2002, 04:40 AM   #2  

Cool High protein diet

My advice is don't do it. I almost damaged my kidneys permanently eating too much protein and had to go on a strict 4-5 oz. protein-limit diet and prinivil and hope for the best. A year later, my kidneys are ok, but I will be on the diet and blood-pressure meds for life and pray every day that I don't pay for my foolishness when I'm older. I suggest you visit your county health department (they usually have a nutritionist on staff-ours only charges $5 a visit!) or pay one to help you design a plan you can live with. Protein in the form of meat is very high in fat grams too, so you are only going to end up with more than you started with! Please, think twice and let me know how things go.
Bonnie
Old 03-13-2002, 08:18 AM   #3  

I'm so sorry that happened to you
Did they have a medical term for what happened? How much protein did you take and for how long for this to happen? I've always heard of this happening to people but finding research info on this is pretty hard as most newer studies cost money to get copies of.

The rough estimate for protein needs is to not exceed 1 gram of protein per kilogram of weight.I've had guys that work at the gym and people at sports stores try to get me to buy super protein stuff to build muscle....ugh The truth is that even Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn't exceed 1 gram of protein per kilogram of weight to get all that muscle.
("Arnold's Bodybuilding for Men" by Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Published by Simon and Shuster, New York, 1981, pp. 214 - 215)

There is also a very interesting and informative article on protein in this April's edition of "Oxygen Magazine"(a woman's fitness magazine) Pages 58-62. It's a good read.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:40 AM   #4  

Default High protein diet

I am on a "light" carb diet, I still eat carbs like whole-wheat pasta, whole-wheat, rye, or pumpernickle bread and/or bagels, and whole-grain cereal. You do need carbs in your diet. I mainly eat meat, eggs, lots of veggies, cheese, and 1 or 2 serv. of fruit a day. I have stopped using fat-free salad dressings as they have a lot of sugar. I use either reduced fat or regular salad dressing as long as the 1st or 2nd ingredient is a healthy oil. I also don't eat anything that has more than 5 gm of sugar in it. Eating this way has lowered my cholesterol and triclycerides.

There is a thread for low-carbing on this website. Maybe they could give you more information, or you could read any of the low carb diet books that are out there to give you some pointers on how their particular program works, and possibly find an eating plan that will work for you.

Good luck.
Closed Thread