General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 08:27 PM   #16  

Thunderheart ~ My opinion is that it would work out fine for you to do that. Listen to your body though and make sure you get plently of rest Wednesday night, not only for your early in the week weight workout, but travel always takes some oomph out of people. Have fun at Easter.
And -25 degrees? Brrr... I feel your pain(I used to live in Minnesota so I know cold temps. One of the reasons I moved.)

Heather~ Welcome and glad to meet you.

Carps~ I used to be that gal on the bike with the big ole' book. No wonder I never got anywhere. Read a lot of good books though...

I'm really in the dark when it comes to the whole pilates thing. I've heard about it, but am confused as to how it differs from yoga or just plain controlled stretching.

One thing I've liked to do for a long time is something I saw on PBS(I love everything on PBS). It's a half hour show called "Classical Stretch". I try to do it when I have my days off work, because it comes on at around 7am and by then I am out of the house. The host is an ex-ballet dancer and she really has a great stretching program. Feels a little odd doing plies in the living room at first , but it's a really fun show and I love gettin' stretched out.

Later y'all.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:13 PM   #17  

Energy magazine, the one featuring PamB, has an on the road workout with resistance bands. This month's Muscle and Fitness for Her (Weider publication which I like a lot) has an at home routine featuring resistance bands. Resistance bands must be all the rage right now. Of course you couldn't get the weight pyramid with just resistance bands but for going away for a while and not having any alternatives, that might work. On the other hand, I think the plan for 2 cardio days in a row is okay. I change my schedule according my schedule and sometimes I wind up with 2 cardios in a row.

Heather: WELCOME!!!

Welcome to the lean, mean, 3fc, BFL machine!

carps: can you take some of hussman's info for hubby? all of it might overwhelm him but some of it might work just fine.

Had good cardio this morning. Love those Saucony Courageous. My shin splints seem to be a thing of the past. Okay, if I eat one more meal with chicken, (brown rice/yam/baked potato) and broccoli I'm going to turn into one. Cluck cluck.

Well I have to work at the courthouse tomorrow so I have to hit the books and then the bed.

nite all
Susan
Old 03-04-2002, 11:36 PM   #18  

Parakeet:

The class I took at my gym is billed Pilates/yoga. This past week she said she did more classical yoga than Pilates though I could not tell one from the other since I'm a novice. She does another class on Thursday nights that she says she does more Pilates than yoga and I might check that out. The class entailed a lot of breathing techniques and I noticed today I was more aware of my breathing. There are all these wacky poses but if you are working out they really give you a nice stretch. They are supposed to make your more flexible and stronger. I can see how. We do the plies in a glass room with all the people on cardio machines looking on. I had to decide not to care about that on Sunday.

I really liked the class and hope to go on Thursday as well but I will definitely be making the Sunday a routine thing. I know this doesn't help but as I learn the difference I'll let you know.

Susan
Old 03-05-2002, 07:45 AM   #19  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

Height: 5'6"

Hi, all!

I've been drooling over Powerblocks lately too, rather than drooling over chocolate or chips and salsa. Am I sick, or what?

Heather -- MrsJim's pictures and her web page are what sold me on BFL. Then lurking here and seeing Susanje's progress and Sil's great advice just convinced me that this was where I needed to be.

Thunderheart -- I totally know what you mean about changing routines! I had gotten very about my first set of exercises and boy, this second set has sure been a wake-up call! I'm back to the weenie weights on a couple of exercises, but that will change...

Susan -- I've worn Saucony for a long time and they are my favorite shoe! My first pair felt weird, but the salesperson said that Saucony made funny soles on their shoes to spread the weight evenly over your foot. My shin splints disappeared, too. Glad you like them!

Carly -- I also took measurements and photos. I also stepped on the scale for the last time. I don't care what I weigh, but I sure do care about my fat content!!!

Today was cardio day. Nothing special. We have a guy at my gym who RUNS on the step mill!!! I get winded just watching him! He's one of the two other people that work out when I do who actually don't rush their reps and split their routines.

I read something funny I want to share. Maybe you all have already seen this, if so, sorry for reposting. Another BFL'er talked about the different people she saw in the gym. We have the guys with 20 inch biceps and 12 inch calves, whom she calls the Bathroom Mirror Bodies. Then we have those who don't work their rear delts and have that folded-to-the-front look. And those who get on the treadmill or stepper for about 20 minutes, look at their front view in the mirror and when they walk away, either their glutes wave at you or it looks like they have a small animal rummaging under their clothes. I sincerely wish I could talk to each and every one about BFL.

Have a great day. It's cold here in Music City!!
Old 03-05-2002, 11:39 AM   #20  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Good morning all!

Wow! I've got some catching up to do for sure!

MLM's = Multi-Level Marketing (or as my hubby calls them "pyramid schemes"). I tossed the business card she pressed upon me so I don't remember the name of the particular MLM she was selling, but examples are Herbalife, Amway, Melaleuca, etc. For the most part (if not all) the products that they sell, you can get the same or BETTER in the 'open market' for a much cheaper price (and she was giving me the spiel about 'I can tell you how to get your products for FREE..." been there, done that... basically 'getting your product for free' means you sign on as a 'distributor' under her...and then you sign more people...and supposedly you get part of their income, and the person over you gets some of all of the people under her...and so on...see what I mean by 'pyramid scheme'?) but I digress.

Claire - a guy RUNNING on the step mill? I still can't stay on the thing longer than 5 minutes. Owie! Thanks also for your comments on my website. I know I'm WAY past time to update it... one of these days when I'm not so busy!

Heather - let me extend my WELCOME to our BFL group. Feel free to post whenever you want...most of us also hang at L&S as well.

Susan - I need to get some new shoes too...I might walk over to Sportmart at lunch if it's not raining by then. Wish I had room in our little place for Powerblocks...definitely a 'nice to have' item even though I really enjoy going to the gym every morning!

They just started a Pilates class at my gym - but it's at noon on Thursdays. Who the heck do they think is going to show up on a weekday at that time? I would like to check it out though. Here at work there is a yoga class that meets twice a week, (also a kickbox class every weekday) but just have not had the time to get there as yet.

I have to start hunting for the **NEW** Energy magazine - apparently Pam has an article on nutrition in there that she wrote, from what I've been told. I haven't yet gotten around to calling the 800# and subscribing yet.

Carps - I agree with Susan - the Hussman site has a lot of info...but you have to take it with a grain of salt. There's been a lot of talk about the 'bad' stuff about that site if you're doing BFL "by the book" - specifically the talk about tweaking, and counting calories, which you should NOT be doing. Actually the BFL book has a lot of good info on protein, carbs, etc. Basically, carbs are for energy, protein is for muscle building, and healthy fats are what keep everything oiled up (like motor oil in a car). That's pretty overly simplistic but that's the way I like to think about it...

Well, meanwhile I had a great workout (Chest/Tris) this morning. Today is another low-carb day - but I still have lots of energy!

Back to the books y'all!
Old 03-05-2002, 01:04 PM   #21  
On the Move Chickaroo!!!

Default WAVES - HI YA

Just a quick post......I am still alive and kicking and keeping on track with the eating and workouts......and I have the arms ta prove it

Just work has taken all my time.....that and my daughter......haven't been on da computer for a while now.....I so miss you guys and the L&Ser's

I will post more tonight from home.....and try and catch up since I last posted.....

Have a great day!!!

Kelly
Old 03-05-2002, 02:45 PM   #22  

Default a few tidbits about Pilates....

it was originally created in Europe as a means of rehabilitation for injured dancers many, many years ago. The word Pilates was licensed as a brand name until about four years ago when a court case made it possible for people to teach and offer classes without undergoing a rigorous training sequence. Now there are a million "Pilates" classes, devices, and videos.

Much of the work is based on yoga and ballet (yoga was popular in Europe long before it was here) and focuses on strengthening the core muscles of the trunk, as well as lengthening muscle fibers. So it may be an excellent counterbalance to weight training.

Have a great BFL day all.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:17 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 250/239/150

Height: 5'6

Default hi ya

thank you for the reminder of the Hussman site - I had forgoten all about it. I had a look and there is some great stuff there which will be perfect for what I want.

I am definately doing BFL by the book in terms of food etc, the only thing I have changed is that I do abs on my cardio days so I get it three times a week.

I also wanted to ask what you think about this...
Yesterday I did my cardio on the precor which I love and I structured it with a two minute warm up, then for the rest of the twenty minutes I did two minutes high intensity two minutes low etc, till the end. This meant that I peaked five times in the twenty minutes, and by having the two minutes instead of one minute cycle I was able to keep going.

What do you think - can you see any problems with this?
It was definately the best cardio workout I've had yet.

Anyway - I'm got a tonne of work to do so must run - experimenting with a chicken casserole thing in the crockpot today. hope it works!

See ya later
Carly

p.s I finally tried that apple & cottage cheese thing, and yes the flavour was yummy but I still don't like the texture of cottage cheese!
Old 03-05-2002, 06:45 PM   #24  

Hey everyone - can't keep up with you all - the threads seem to be moving alot quicker these days - that's great more BFLer's. Wowee am I sore today from my change in UBWO routine yesterday! Feels great!

Carps - I started out doing a 1.5 minute interval program on my treadmill and it worked fine for me but I quickly surpassed that. With HIIT you might want to try Level 5,6,7 at walking speed and then Level 8 & 9 at jogging/running speed. Since they are all at 1 minute each I'm sure you could do it and then you could really push yourself for the final minute. It's amazing since I've switched to this how quickly you can improve. I never ever thought I would see the day that I would be jogging!

Does anyone have the copy of the Energy Magazine with Pam Brown's Blueberry Dream pancakes? It was mentioned on a thread at L&S and they sound DeeLish. If you do - could you post that recipe? I haven't been able to find that magazine yet in Canada. May have to order on line - but I wanted to check out the format of it first.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2002, 10:03 PM   #25  
On the Move Chickaroo!!!

Default I found the Magazine everywhere

thunderheart

I have seen the Energy magazine everywhere......from Wal Mart to the local convenience store to GNC in Canada......and I have a copy.....of the Jan/Feb edition.........didn't see a recipe in that one for the pancakes........is it in the new one I am wondering.....

I will have to look at the store tomorrow to see if the new one is out......if you can't find one.........I could always mail you a copy.......I know how it is up north........laffs.........living there once........you don't find the same things as you do in the Toronto area......

just another quickie.......I was taking a break..........

yep......I brought work home.......
Old 03-05-2002, 10:16 PM   #26  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Just got the new Energy!

How neat to see Pam doing articles now! Probably really exciting for her as well

Draeger's had a BIG ol' stack of the new mag. Last month they didn't order enough - and they were gone within 2-3 days (I nabbed two of them myself).

Plus there's a lot of stuff on yoga. Susan, you should find it very interesting!

I've just breezed through it but I'll go ahead and post the pancake recipe for y'all - keep looking for the magazine though - it's worth the search!
Quote:
BLUEBERRY DREAM PANCAKES
Serves 1

6 egg whites
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 tablespoon wheat pancake mix
2 teaspoons Splenda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup blueberries

Spray skillet with cooking spray. Heat on medium. Blend all ingredients except the blueberries - fold in blueberries. Pour all batter into skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Makes one large pancake.
And I MIGHT just give the afternoon yoga class at work a try after reading the article in Energy!
Old 03-05-2002, 10:53 PM   #27  

MrsJim:

I will indeed check it out. I think that Lisa is correct in that it seems to be the perfect counterbalance to weight training. I know that when I was in the class on Sunday, she talked about lengthening the spine...breathing...being fluid...it felt like a massage to the body after hitting the weights all week.... I felt like while the weights targets a very small piece of the body, the yoga seems to stretch everything into some kind of whole. I don't even know if that makes sense...but I feel very "earthed" by weight training (in a good way--I LOVE weight training) whereas yoga is more of a soaring...I think I am going to love yoga/Pilates too. It does seem like a counterbalance. I need to find out WHERE in my neighborhood they are selling Energy. hrrump.

BTW, my gym used to only offer Pilates/yoga on Sunday but now they offer it 3 days a week...(M/W/Th)...so maybe yours will expand (you're at 24 hour fitness too...correct?)

if you count the yoga/pilates class (and I do), I've worked out every day for the past 12 days so I think I am going to rest tonight and hit the powerblocks in the morning. I usually do UBWO at home on Tuesday nights and cardio on Wednesday mornings. I think I'm going to skip tonight. I'm feeling GREAT but I think I'm pounding the **** out of my body because I want to go to bed at 7:30 most nights. I have a class til 10 pm tomorrow night so that won't be too good.

toddling off to read my magazines (weight training) and fall asleep.

g'night
Susan
Old 03-06-2002, 08:35 AM   #28  

Angry Thank You Thank You

MrsJim Thank You so much for posting that recipe - I will be trying it out today and will let you's know how it is.

Kelster - If the magazine is really popular, maybe they have sold out where I'm looking. I got a tip yesterday to call the distributor who handles all the magazines in our area and they can tell me who is carrying it - so I will do that today.

I'm barely walking here this morning girls - nothing like changing your routine to squats and deadlifts to shake up your legs. WOW but it feels so good!

Talk to you later! Gotta go make those pancakes!
Old 03-06-2002, 09:40 AM   #29  

Question healthy oils

Hiya girls
Did my cardio this morning..whew, I kicked some treadmill butt. Probably not too impressive to some but that is the most I have run on that thing since I bought it 5 years ago I can tell my endurance is going up a bit each time I do it so that is great!

Gotta get some blueberries and try out that recipe! It looks yummy. I have to find something as I am not a big breakfast person and I cannot stand the texture of cooked oatmeal. What is the deal w/ steel cut oats? We have those in the commissary but I go Quaker kind a long time ago..is the texture different? I really would like to have something warm and filling in the morning but can't take the paste texture of Quaker.

On to my original question...I have seen some people use it but is olive oil o.k. to use instead of flax seed and udo's...I don't really have the $$ this month to buy udo's but I already have olive oil. If it is ok to use like 1 tbsp a day or so, how do I use it. Can I put it in a pan and brown some baked potato slices or does that change the dietary makeup if I cook it? Any help would be appreciated ladies, thank you.

Off to check L&S and go do errands..have a great day all!
Old 03-06-2002, 05:18 PM   #30  

MRS. JIM,

I read somewhere that Pam B tweaked some things on the program to get her best results. Do you recall what they were?

Thanks
Closed Thread