General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 05:41 PM   #16  
Natural Health Educator

Thanks for the info...i am going to see if I can get the book shipped to me down here!!!! I will let you all know what happens when it happens.

=^..^=
Old 01-31-2002, 06:02 PM   #17  
Mel

Default Hi there

Howdy all! I've had a really mixed up day, actually week. Because I worked with the trainer on a day I usually do cardio (he's so booked, I take him when I can get him!) and was so wiped out from his leg torture routine, that I don't know what to do each day now. Ended up doing cardio and biceps yesterday, shoulders, tri and back today and tennis, I guess tomorrow's cardio, but it should be LBWO I'm really confused. To make it even more mixed up, I have a session scheduled with the torture man on Saturday and I really sant to do back and abs with him since I haven't covered that yet with him. Arghhhh...one screwy week can't hurt too much can it?

Meow- Welcome. I was just about to try to answer some of your questions, but when I scrolled down to see them, I saw MrsJim had just posted and she is FAR more knowledgeable than me!

Biv- Planning is my bugaboo, too. I'm famished right now because I forgot to pack mid-morning meal and was stuck at work with no food. Usually I'm better at it than that, but woke up all fuzzy headed for some reason. Forgetting food was the least of my mistakes today.

MrsJim- I know what you mean about trying to help people and having it backfire. Pre BFL, I did Sugarbusters and a lot of working out and lifting, very sucessfully. I would read boards where there would be endless discussions of how to make candy, cookies, gooey desserts sugar-free, thus "legal", but gosh they were having problems actually losing weight. I posted a couple of times that that wasn't the point, it was to eat healthier and start to exercise and no one wanted to hear that! So eventually I just shut up. They didn't want to hear about really changing they way they ate, and they certainly didn't want to hear about exercising. Tho the SB board here at 3FC is full of truly dedicated and wonderful women.

I just booked air tickets to visit my brother and his family in FT. Lauderdale at the end of March, so now I have even more incentive to hit those 10's and eat clean. I need a bathing suit!

mel
Old 01-31-2002, 06:20 PM   #18  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Mel - I hear ya

Actually i just checked at L&S, and on the 'Superbowl' thread I started this morning, one of the gals at the other thread posted a question to me. Just general stuff so I'll probably repost it on a new thread there and have everyone add their two centavos.

There was also a really great article about 'trans fats' in yesterday's San Francisco Chronicle. I posted the link at L&S but stuff tends to get buried very quickly there so I'll repost the link here. It does a pretty good job of explaining why all those people on Sugarbusters were taking the sugar out but still not losing weight...and how foods people think are 'healthy' actually are not - such as 'light' microwave popcorn...pretzels...energy bars...cereal... etc.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...30/FD40307.DTL
The article begins as follows:
Quote:
Phantom fat is hiding in your cereal bowl. It's the bad boy in your bag of microwave popcorn. It lurks in those low-fat cookies and even in that energy bar.

The stuff is called trans fat, created when ordinary vegetable oil is processed into partially hydrogenated oil. It's why Crisco stays solid at room temperature and what makes cakes moist, cookies fresh and crackers crisp. Partially hydrogenated oil is in about 40 percent of the food at the grocery store, including some products most consumers regard as healthy.

A generation ago, when cardiologists waved Americans off saturated fats like butter and beef tallow, partially hydrogenated oils became a preferred alternative. Now, in an about-face, researchers have determined that trans fat can grease the way to a heart attack faster than a cup of lard.

Some of the nation's leading medical researchers, including many in the Bay Area, also believe that the trans fat that marbles the modern American diet may be why kids are so fat, diabetes is at record levels and why some people develop cancer. They say trans fat is a big player in Syndrome X, a cluster of health problems characterized by a beer belly, high blood pressure and out-of-whack blood fats and sugars.

"There should be a warning on food made with this stuff like there is on nicotine products. It's that bad for you," says Dr. Jeffrey Aron, a University of California at San Francisco professor of medicine and one of the nation's leading experts on fatty acids and their effects on the body.

But there is no warning label. Trans fat amounts aren't regulated at all, so manufacturers and fast food operators don't have to list it on nutrition labels. That means there's no easy way to know how much you're eating.

And chances are, it's a lot more than you think.

Virtually every fast-food or family restaurant french fry is cooked in trans fat-filled grease. Almost half of all cereals, both cold and hot, contain it, according to the Food and Drug Administration. So do 70 percent of cake mixes, 75 percent of chips and other salty snacks, 80 percent of frozen breakfast foods like waffles, and 95 percent of cookies.

Even products people buy when they want to eat healthier -- granola, power bars and low-fat cookies and crackers -- are made with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. During a recent informal survey of 140 varieties of crackers on a typical supermarket shelf, only three brands had no partially hydrogenated oil.

Because trans fat flies under the radar, food labeled "low in saturated fat," "cholesterol-free" or "made with 100 percent vegetable oil" can have so much trans fat that consumers focused on heart-healthy food wouldn't touch many of these products -- if they knew.

The FDA, which could decide by September whether to require trans fat on food labels, estimates that listing it could prevent as many as 5,600 heart disease deaths a year -- not only because people would be able to choose healthier foods but also because manufacturers would choose to reduce the amount of trans fat rather than put it on the label.

"The labels on food say how much fat but not what kinds of fat," Aron explains. "It's insidious and we're nowhere near the level of awareness we need to be."
Click on the link and check out the rest of this article - DEFINITELY worth a read!
Old 01-31-2002, 07:06 PM   #19  
Mel

Default in defense of Sugarbusters....

I didn't mean to knock Sugarbusters, just the way some people "follow" it. It's like the people who say they are doing BFL but eating however they want. The diet (which is a highly discouraged word- Way of Eating is poper) is healthy, filling, and not real different from BFL in philosophy, just not aimed at people trying to build muscle. I used to refer to it as the hunter-gatherer diet- NO PROCESSED FOODS! If you do it right....

mel
Old 01-31-2002, 07:30 PM   #20  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Nah, wasn't putting down Sugarbusters...

don't know much about it myself - it was more of a comment towards people who think they're eating 'healthy' when they're not. That article pinpoints all that. Actually I used to be one of 'em - I was a real Fat Free Fig Newton fan...and eating cereals...as long as they were fatfree we could eat all we wanted right?

Remember that Orville Redenbacher ad for their light microwave popcorn:

Eat and eat and eat and eat
And not feel the least bit guilty...

As Michael Fumento so aptly stated, they aren't saying it won't make you fat, they're just saying not to feel guilty eating it!
Old 02-01-2002, 09:20 AM   #21  

Default MrsJim - help!

MrsJim - I've been reading your posts here since early in your first challenge. I've also read everything at L&S since November. In that time, I've started three challenges - the first two I quit somewhere along the way and this one, my third, I'm on week 10! I'm very excited about coming this far and this has really become a way of life for me. I never feel like I'm on a diet (which I'm not) and I never feel deprived. I've always loved working out too, so that was easy. I love working out with such intensity, it just feels so much more rewarding.

The point of this whole post is to say, one: that I really admire you. You're a true inspiration and you are so kind and helpful. I wonder if you know how many people you've touched and helped. You're really amazing.

Two: that I am in week 10 and I'm rather disappointed with my results thus far. I posted this at L&S the other day and everyone was real positive about my progress, but I can't help but feel disappointed. I've only lost two pounds and this just blows my mind. I know I've put on muscle, but still I'm 179 lbs. and 5' 6". I should be losing some weight! My other disappointment is my body fat. I went from 34.9% to 33.6% - geesh! My only comfort in this is that I was measured with one of those hand-held bioimpedence devices and I know they aren't very accurate. I have gone down one size - from a 14 to a 12 though. My measurements are down a good bit, but still not much for 9 weeks progress. I'm down 1/2" in my right arm; 3 1/2" in my bust; 2 1/4" in my waist; 3/4" in my abdomen; 2 1/4" on my hips and 3/4" on my right thigh, for a total of 10" lost.

I'm trying hard not to be discouraged, and I'll certainly continue this way of life, but do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
Roseanne
Old 02-01-2002, 10:14 AM   #22  
GARDENING ADDICT

Hi Roseanne. I'm not MrsJim but I want to tell you that you should not feel discouraged. Look at what you DID accomplish in a 10 week period;
~down a whole dress size
~lost numerous inches overall
~well on your way to completing a challenge

Don't place a whole lot of weight (no pun intended ) in the scale or body fat numbers. They dodn't show the whole picture and they vary too much.

Good for you for doing sooooo well!
~~~Sil
Old 02-01-2002, 10:20 AM   #23  

Hi Roseanne, WELCOME!!!

yes, mrsjim is the inspiration!!! She's great!

I think you have made good progress in measurements and size and are definitely on the right track. Have you read the hussman site? Sometimes our bodies are trying to hold on to the fat...just keep plugging away! It will come. Also, you might want to post a few menus here or on L&S to make sure the food is clean. Also, throw that scale away!!! Welcome to our group.

Hi Everyone!! I'm exhausted. I've been having 12-16 hour law school days. Just beat to ****. My workouts have been lighter than usual because I have next to no strength I'm simply exhausted and there is no end in sight for weeks. However, due to this nutty schedule and almost constant running around, I'm losing weight I can feel it...it feels like old fashioned weight loss to me (though I haven't checked the scale) not BFL put on muscle, take off fat loss. It's odd that I'm ambivalent about it because I know that I'm probably burning muscle as well. Funny how you start to really CARE about that. A year ago I just would have been happy simply losing weight. Now I'm thinking "Hmmm....this is coming off so fast...I bet I'm losing muscle too."

Off to the races,
Susan
Old 02-01-2002, 10:23 AM   #24  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default Sorry to run off so quick~~~

I'm cooking some barley in low sod. chicken broth and portabello mushrooms and I had to go turn the heat down. It smells so good~YUM.

Claire~~~ Congratulations for keeping with it and for reaching that 10. Good for you

Meow and CC~~~Welcome! We're glad to have you here as we all learn from each other. Hope to see you here often.

Mel and MrsJim~~~It looks like your PTers are working you hard. You guys are doing awesome

~~Sil
Old 02-01-2002, 10:53 AM   #25  
L&Ser

Talking Kelster, about all that food...

Pam B would start her day with a dozen egg whites for her protein portion alone! Please please please don't be afraid to feed your body!

Nice place you guys have here, by the way!
Old 02-01-2002, 11:52 AM   #26  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down OMG!!!!!! QZ is in the 3FC HOWSE!!!

What a wonderful surprise! Do drop in whenever you want - that goes for the rest of the L&S gang too (actually I believe most - if not all - of us here hang out there as well).

Sorry all - been so busy after work these days...went mattress shopping a couple nights ago, then hooked up DSL which is great except it seems to take a little longer for the home pages to come up (the customer support person on the phone said it would be like that in the beginning, tho'). I gotta tell ya, once it gets rolling, it is FAST. Well worth the $50 a month (I hope!).

Hey Sil - that's how I usually cook barley and rice - in low-sodium fat-free chicken broth - what I really like to do is cook it the day before, put it in the fridge, then the next day I get my stir-fry pan or skillet, spray it with some Pam, toss in some chopped onions, sliced mushrooms, peas & carrots, baby spinach, spices, a bit of lemon juice, maybe some soy - then put the cold rice or barley in (I read somewhere that the 'secret' of good Chinese fried rice was to use cold cooked rice). Then I put the whole mess in a Tupperware or portion it out into baggies. Sometimes I'll have a portion with some chicken breast meat, other times I'll just scramble some Egg Beaters and mix the scrambled egg with the rice - one day I need to do a half-and-half of both egg and chicken for that REAL fried-rice feeling.

I've been waking up earlier, and Sparky wakes up with me too. It's still really chilly here but I've found out how to get him to be quiet (he's a talker!) - turn the heater on and put his little fake-fur rug next to it (today I added a pinch of catnip to it) and he's a happy cat - he just stretches out and enjoys the heat. As long as Jim doesn't freak out when the PG&E bill arrives, then we're okay! I don't think he'll make too much of a big deal - because he likes waking up to a toasty apartment instead of an igloo - makes it easier to get out of the covers.

Today at the gym, I was **approached** by one of the regular gals who had seen me do pelvic tilts using the smaller Swiss ball and asked me to show her how, which of course I did. She gave me a great compliment when I told her I was seeing a PT - she said I should think of being a trainer myself! Well...don't know if I'd ever have time to do that...I really like my job...but it's a thought!

Roseanne - welcome and thanks ever so much for your sweet compliments. Don't be discouraged - it actually sounds like you're doing okay. Susanje didn't start seeing results until week 11! Remember, it's a 12-week challenge to change your life. It's a good idea to keep records of your workouts and nutrition - along with many people, I use Fitday.com to keep track of my eating (I ignore the calories for the most part - if you're sticking to the authorized food list except on Free Day, the calories will take care of themselves). I've said this before, but you are really better off staying off the scale (which has now been banished from my house - I would have given it away to Goodwill but Jim [Mr. eBay} likes having it around for weighing packages...) as much as possible. Scale addiction is a tough nut to crack but you can do it!

Just want to close with something that happened at the gym yesterday - I was using the leg extension machine - my trainer said to go realllly sloowww and not to let the plates go all the way down, that way the muscle keeps working during the entire set - and I hold for a count of 3-5 at the top. Right next to me, at the other leg ext machine, this older gentleman whom I recognized as a regular sat down, put the weight at like 180#, and went like gangbusters - he did like five reps in the time it took me to complete one! He was just using momentum to lift the weight (actually it was more like 'throwing' the weight up). I was soooo wanting to advise him on that...but advice is not always taken in a positive light. Funny thing is - he was wearing a knee brace...so throwing a heavy weight up on a leg ext machine isn't doing his poor knee any good! Oh well...more later folks!
Old 02-01-2002, 12:44 PM   #27  

Default mrs.jim...

I need an opinion. Did the meal plan you got from Jeremy work out for you? I'm looking ahead to C2.

WHAT a surprise to see QUADZILLA here!

Welcome, everyone new. I tried SB for six weeks after a trip to New Orleans, loved the plan but never lost an ounce. I think it was because I'd already altered my WOE so much on WW123.

I'm now a member of two gyms, extravagant but the only way I can guarantee getting there everyday. For C2 I'm reverting to strength training six times a week.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:23 PM   #28  

Hey ladies!

I can't believe the end of my second week is almost approaching.
I'm excited and I can tell that this is *the* plan already. I haven't weighed or measured anything(and probably won't until 4 weeks), but my mood has improved so much and I have so much more energy.

Sunday is my second free day and I'm using it this time. I've also told my roomates that last week was not going to happen again. They bought candy and pizza during the week, but on Sunday no one went out and most of my faves were not in the house. And then lo and behold, comes monday and they buy Cinnabons. Saturday evening I'm pulling out the crave list and going mini-shopping.

Welcome to all the new folks.

I wouldn't be surprised if after the challenges some people did become personal trainers. Form & intensity are everything on this program. I've learned a lot about excercise that I never knew before and I'm only a few weeks in.

Hope everything is going good for y'all.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:51 PM   #29  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

Height: 5'6"

Hi all!

Wow this is really "Kitty City!" I have three myself -- Whoopi, Rusty and BooBoo. I love animals; I keep winding up with cats, though...

Been posting my menus at LeanandStrong for TallJen to look at. It's really helped. Also ordered my Udo's today.

And MrsJim -- while you are always quoting Pam B., I am always quoting you. You have a wealth of knowledge that is invaluable to all of us. With you, Sil, Susanje, and other "veterans" I feel as though I can get most any question answered and keep being inspired. Thank you all.

I'm not even through my first week yet and my hip flexors (probably my best body part) have loosened up so that I can actually put on socks and tie my shoes without having to do a yoga routine in the process.

Did my UBWO today. My medial deltoids are so wimpy...I could hardly manage the seated DB presses with the 5 pound dumbbells using strict form. (my gym doesn't have smaller weights) I'll keep at it. If I had a nickel for everyone I see wandering around the gym because you know they don't have a program, or throwing weight around without a hint of proper form, I'd own a Smith machine by now...

Parakeet, good for you for standing your ground about the food! You're a week ahead of me. Keep up the good work!

Quadzilla, I've been reading your posts over on LeanandStrong. Glad to have you!

the barley and rice combo sounds really good. I'll have to try it. Well, our temp has dropped from a balmy 70 to 40 degrees. I guess the cold front is here.

Have a great afternoon, gals.
Old 02-01-2002, 05:19 PM   #30  
Natural Health Educator

just a quick note, I checked into some more about BFL on teh EAS website, wow, this really seems like something i could do! The only drawback is trying to fit enough protein into my diet. I have a hard time with that, though I guess i could do the whole fish thing. NOw I know I want to have my mother send me the BFL book so I can get clear on the actual plan. (I understand the excersize and weigh plan, as well as the meal thing now that i read up on eas.com.) My guess is that there are some things that i will need to get out of the book. Plus, I think perhaps an official challange would be a fun thing for me and my mother to do "together." I say that in quotes 'cause she lives in California and I am down here in the Caribbean. Anyway, she is 60, but works out at a World gym with the body builders and has this amazing stregnth that inspires me always. IF only i had been blessed with her genes and not grandma's...... I will tell you what happens
Closed Thread