General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 02:17 AM   #16  
One day at a time

hi everyone
well i started my challenge today and everything went great. I had forgotten how good i feel after working out, lots more energy.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:29 AM   #17  

Sheila, Congrats on a great start!!!

BFLChubMOM: WELCOME!
I posted a hello last night but the system seemed to crash while I was working. Feel free to jump in and post...say hi, comment, question, about anything and everything....

some of us have been here since April of last year, some of us are brandy new and some of us are 'tweeners...it's a great group and our own MrsJim is prepping for a bb contest. (I remember MrsJim's first BFL post...she wrote "Okay, you've convinced me..." after she was reading the posts for a couple of weeks (didn't take her long) and she's a smart lady...has tried a lot of things and investigated/researched a lot of things and she is SOLD on BFL (and look at the progress!!)

So...WELCOME!!!

Kelster: why yes you can do this!!!
Even when there have been difficulties in my life, I believe in BFL. I can't say that I would have returned, kept trying to come back to peak performance levels with any other program after I had health issues late last summer and fall. I have struggled since July and I know that Pam B (of L&S fame) had a bit of a slide after her 2nd (I think) challenge and overcame it to go on to be a body building champ!!!I know other people who had injuries, illness or personal issues that challenged their challenges and they all keep trying to come back. That is what I've been doing. My own BFL challenge is inspiring to ME when I'm bemoaning the fact that I feel so awful and progress is so slow.

But because BFL truly works, it's something to come back to and stay committed to....and you do experience changes ALL OVER not just in one spot. I realize that now....I did not give myself enough credit last C1...I didn't see many results until week 7 and then it was great. Anyway....I am BACK to strict BFL and it feels very very good.

I not only fell last week but I fell again yesterday. My cat was in the tree and being a goober and I ran in to get my digital camera and ran back out and fell down the stairs (what is WITH Me lately? I'm klutzing all over!!! The camera flew across the pavement and didn't work for a while...I had to keep inserting the card back in)..and later my knee was sore (AGAIN) and the weather bothers my back (one reason I moved to CA) but I did some stretching last night (ala Callenetics) and I feel a little stiff today but not bad, not bad at all.

I also think that my recent knee fiascos are healing quickly due to the glutamine I take. It's been the best supplement I've ever taken!!!

Now, if I could find the stop falling supplement, I'd be fine.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:06 PM   #18  
Uber-Moderator!!

Wow - Susanje - I was just thinking of my first post on the BFL thread - wasn't it in the 'exercise' forum then?? so long ago...my goodness.

I heartily agree with you on BFL being a LIFESTYLE that anyone with the dedication to change can easily stick with. I don't always go 'by the book' - I've made my own changes as far as eating, workouts, etc. However, I would highly recommend sticking to the book for at least your first 12 weeks...from there you can continue on 'by the book' indefinitely, or use the knowledge that comes from doing what the book says along with information gleaned from other books such as Arnolds' Bodybuilding Encyclopedia (a favorite of mine) and sites such as L&S to build on the solid base of BFL.

Cats get us in the biggest trouble don't they? This weekend I bought a cat harness and leash so we could try to introduce Sparky to the outdoors (we want to get him used to hanging out in the backyard with us on occasion - during the summer when we barbecue with our good neighbors). We got the harness on him okay, the leash. Then we brought him outside and he could NOT WAIT to go back inside!!! Other than looking out at the squirrels and birds he really seems to want no part of the outdoors whatsoever. We're going to put this project on hold until the weather warms up (Jim thinks it might have been the chill in the air as well that made Sparky want to go inside). Oh well, at least we don't have to worry about him darting out the front door!

Had a great quads/hams workout today then did some ab crunches using the stability ball - love that thing! For the next few weeks, I'm doing Pam B's workout (laid out in the new issue of Energy) until Theresa and I work out a new routine - she has some great ideas for supersets and we laid out a new chest/tris workout yesterday that rocks. Check out my Fitday public journal for 21 January (yesterday) and you can see how it works.

Well, back to work! Let's hear from y'all!
Old 01-22-2002, 06:00 PM   #19  

Hi MrsJim:

I think your first post was on here the diet plans...in april of last year.

Is the stability ball the same as the swiss ball? I LOVE mine for crunches. There are also some cool LB exercises. I have a video but I hate the guy on it...so I don't watch it much. I just do the crunches and the lower body exercises on it.

Old 01-22-2002, 06:02 PM   #20  

PS Where do you get Energy?
Old 01-22-2002, 06:11 PM   #21  
Mel

Default Tuesday

Had a great "arms" session with the expensive trainer today. There sure is a lot more in a gym than I can do at home! He wants me to split shoulders/triceps and back/biceps into 2 different days instead of by the book. Since this is my first challenge, I'm a little leary of messing with it, but his answer was that I've been lifting long enough with "the basics" that I need to go for more and different. What do you all think about tweaking in c1?

I never thought I'd stuff all these meals in, but now I'm starving every 2 1/2 hours! How in the world am I gonna lose body fat this way? I know, read the book, believe....

mel
Old 01-22-2002, 06:17 PM   #22  
Uber-Moderator!!

Susanje - I found Energy at Draegers - they had the first issue too. Bought three copies - one for reading, one to send Pam B for an autograph (which she did and sent back promptly) and the other one is being 'borrowed' just like my copy of BFL!!

I've subscribed to Energy now so I don't have to go through this big egg hunt!

From the posts at L&S, sounds like Barnes & Noble is the place to go for Energy - you might wanna check them out. Gretchen (editor of Energy) mentioned that GNC and Safeway are getting them too, but it hasn't shown up at either one of the Safeways I go to...

Stability ball = Swiss ball if you're referring to the big blue or red ball filled with air that you sit on, right? My trainer calls it the stability ball...we also use those weighted medicine balls in the ab workouts, gives you a really good ow! On the stability ball we also did pushups, DB flyes and tri extensions.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:43 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 206/175/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Crossing the abyss

I think some mental changes are starting to kick in. On free day I was satisfied with what I had and did NOT want to pig out. Yesterday, I was excited because my next workout would include bench presses, which I am steadily increasing. And I just realized that I truly believe that eating sufficient quantities of clean food is far better for me than undereating. Not bad for 20 weeks!

Susan -- they have Energy magazine at Borders, in addition to Barnes and Noble -- don't know which is closer to you.

Mrs. Jim -- Sparky will probably take better to the outdoors when it's warmer -- cats are solar powered!

Welcome to even more new people -- and have a great day everyone!

Carrie
Old 01-22-2002, 10:37 PM   #24  
On the Move Chickaroo!!!

Default Thanks

Mrs.Jim, Susan.......thanks for all of the help.......with all the websites........I have been a reading fiend.........trying to take it all in..........wow......the things you learn......and thanks for the confidence Susan.......if anything I am determined........L.....

so far I have had no probs with the meals......and I feel even if I am not getting it totally right........right now..........it is doing me alot better then the way I was eating I know that for fact!

my exercise routines........are going wonderfully I must say.........I HURT!......L.........or should I say achy.........now I just have to start getting to bed a wee bit earlier.......waking up earlier to do the work outs............means I should go to bed earlier as well.......and I have found that I am sleeping better at night.......that is great...........I was having a hard time with that lately........

Question # gazillion and one............I know in the book it says it is not necessary....but does anyone in here take vitamin supplements???

I hope all are doing well....

and can you believe this weather.........sheesh.....
Old 01-22-2002, 10:53 PM   #25  
Uber-Moderator!!

Kel - sounds like you're doing fine and doing your research! That's great - the more you know, the better your choices become...

I do actually take a multivitamin myself (nothing special - just the cheapie woman's multi from Trader Joes'). In addition to that the other supps I use are glutamine (GREAT for soreness), creatine (to help with muscle building - just an amino acid) and Udo's Choice Perfected Oil Blend or other EFA...

I also use Myoplex Lite MRPs and just this challenge have started using a protein powder (EAS' Simply Protein Whey) but I like the Myo Lite better - I have a Cappuchino Ice Myo Lite in the am and a protein shake with a banana or other fruit blended in - the Myo Lite is much richer and thicker IMO!

Carrie - you're probably right about Sparky - he worships our heater at night! We are going to wait until around May to try again, unless we get a real heat wave. As cold as it's been around here, I don't expect that anytime soon!
Old 01-22-2002, 11:38 PM   #26  

Kelster, are you taking Glutamine? ABSOLUTELY essential!!! You will notice a BIG difference in relief of the soreness....it's the ONE supplement I cannot do without. I'm so sore without it!
I take Glutamine, multivitamin and UDOs or flaxseed oil.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:56 AM   #27  

Default Vitamin supplements

Kelster -- I rely on my 2 servings of Myoplex lite to give me much of my daily vitamins and minerals. In addition, I take vitamin C, zinc, and extra calcium (years of not "wasting calories" on milk and not exercising has left me with low bone density which I'm trying to improve with plenty of calcium and weight lifting -- and prescription Fosamax). I take glucosamine and chondroitin for joint support.

Partway through my first challenge I started glutamine (5 grams, 3 times a day) and flax oil (1 to 3 TBSP a day). Started adding beta carotene and vitamin E this week.

I'd recommend the glutamine and flax oil for everyone, and 1000-1500 mg total calcium in some form (myoplex, yogurt, cottage cheese, supplements). The rest probably depends on your individual diet and circumstances.

Carrie
Old 01-23-2002, 03:25 AM   #28  

Default Cat talk

Hi BFLers!

Just wanted to say I hope you don't mind me asking Mrs. Jim about her cat Sparky -- I'm a cat lover living in a no-pets-allowed rented house, whose closest cat approximation has been "Manxie", a stuffed tiger with a missing tail. Manxie lost his tail and was confiscated from our son Tony's room last year during Tony's 9th birthday sleepover (never again!) when I heard the ominous words "My mom is going to be SO mad!" Tony decided to let me keep Manxie on our bed since I liked him so much. Now, though, it's fun to hear about a real live cat.

Anyhow, apologies to the non-cat-lovers among you!

Carrie
Old 01-23-2002, 03:21 PM   #29  

Well, I'm off to a good start. Did LBWO this morning and it was great! Still need to tweak some things in the workout(go slower, full-range of motion type stuff) but all in all it's been good.

The food program is going ok. I'm finding it hard to get all the meals in. I get hungry more than I thought I would, but I think that's because I am really going from an extremely unheathy diet to less fatty, healthier foods in the right portions. If I still have the hunger after a week I'm going to up my intake slightly(probably just add more vegetables). I'm so looking forward to my free day(Sad, after two days but that's what it's there for.)

I told some of my friends about my plan, so now I have to do it. Or risk being embarrased.

The workouts have been going well. I never knew my calves could burn like that. Whoo-boy.

Have a great day guys.
Old 01-23-2002, 03:46 PM   #30  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Hey all!

Been TOTALLY busy this morning - I have an early morning meeting I have to be here for - at 6 AM tomorrow!!! As you all probably know, I usually hit the gym around 4:45 - 5 am so obviously I'm going to have to do some advance planning here.

Today I had a really great workout - back and bis, then did 30 minutes cardio on the elliptical. Theresa (my PT) wants me to start keeping track of my heart rate while I'm doing cardio, so I dug out the ol' Polar HRM and wore it this morning. Since she's upping my cardio (again - to you newbies on your first Challenge - stick to the book and do the 20MAS - I'm targeting on a contest this summer!!!!) today I did a 30MAS rather than the 20 HIIT I've been focusing on.

Carrie - I know that you, Susanje and I are kitty lovers and/or owners - we can't be the only ones though...just don't get me started about horses or I'll bore you to death with Arabian pedigree stuff.

Parakeet - what you might want to do in addition to adding more veggies - the more the merrier! - is concentrate on the 'bulkier' carbs on the list - potatoes (baked/sweet) yams, squash/pumpkin (which you get A LOT of in a serving - more than fist size for sure), brown rice, etc. and put less emphasis on carbs like yogurt, whole-grain bread, and milk. Your tummy processes dairy and flour products VERY quickly - not a whole lotta fiber there...and drink all your water as well. A tablespoon of healthy oil such as Flaxseed, EFA or Udo's twice a day wouldn't hurt either!

Well...back to work!
Closed Thread