General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 11:59 AM   #16  
Uber-Moderator!!

Chynna - I must be looking at a different meatloaf recipe - the one I found was posted on 9 January and calls for 1 cup of oatmeal (titled "Lean $ Scrumptious Turkey Meatloaf). The one you're referring to must be a bit farther down?

Here's another one from Jeremy:

Healthy Meatloaf

2.5 lbs - 3 lbs ground lean meat (turkey/chicken breast or beef)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 egg
1 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup organic tomato sauce
Pepper to taste

Heat oven to 325 degrees.

Mix all ingredients with hands in a large bowl. You may need to add a bit more tomato sauce, depending on how much meat you use. The consistency of the mixture should be very moist, but not soupy.

Spray loaf pan w/Pam. Pack mixture into loaf pan. If mixture sets above edge of loaf pan, place cookie sheet on bottom rack of oven to catch any overflow from loaf pan.

Bake for 1 - 1/2 hours. (90 minutes)

The only change I would make to this recipe is rather than spraying the pan with Pam, I would use parchment paper (cooking paper) to line the loaf pan with instead - just makes it a lot easier to clean up!

Hey, I noticed we lost a bunch of posts again! Hope the server is feeling better now

Let's hear from y'all!
Old 01-15-2002, 02:30 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 206/175/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Thought I was imagining things!

I knew I had seen a post from Susan that then disappeared. I'll let you know how the Tae Kwon Do is going. Looks like there might have been other posts that went missing before I saw them -- so I'll check more often.

Workouts and eating are going great -- at least 6 days a week! Free day is another story. Hope your free week is going well, Mrs. Jim. Please let me know if you have any advice on "controlled freedom".

Hope you are all dong great!

Carrie
Old 01-15-2002, 03:27 PM   #18  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking The Twilight Zone theme here...dodododo...

....the mystery of the disappearing posts....do do do do...

Carriej - I assume by "controlled freedom" you're referring to Free Days, right? My best advice to you is to concentrate on staying clean during the six non-Free Days. Believe me, if you stay clean during the week your tummy will soon revolt if you go way overboard on Free Day.

During C1, my usual free day started by going to Stacks' (a popular breakfast place here) for a BIG breakfast (pancakes, eggs, sausage, home fries), then later on having another big meal, BBQing steaks and garlic bread with ice cream and...all sorts of crap...

Now on free day, I will typically have a bowl or two of cereal (Cheerios usually), for lunch Mcdonald's (two cheeseburgers, fries and a Diet Coke usually) or a burrito, then believe it or not a big green salad for dinner! Don't try to control yourself at first - USE your free days. Having that Free Day to look forward to is such a big help in keeping my nutrition clean during the week...later of course when I started seeing results it became easier to stay clean.

I love what Pam B says about Free Days (I've quoted this so many times but it bears repeating!):
Quote:
FREE DAY
I totally used my free day for the first 3 challenges! A lot of people make the mistake of not using it and end up "cheating" on their diet during the week. I recommend that people USE IT and don't have any guilt about it! In the first few weeks, I LIVED for my free days!! I ate nachos, cookies, ice cream, pizza, burritos, etc... but I did not cheat during the week. It works, it really works!!!
Just checked the clock and it's time for my meal #3 - yep, even though it's Free Week for me, I have been staying pretty clean for the most part...as Pam B says:
Quote:
IN BETWEEN CHALLENGES
I believe that you need a break every 12 weeks. Not only do your muscles need a break, but you need a mental break from all of the structured eating and planning. I would recommend that you eat everything you are craving, but try not to eat large quantities of it. It can really make you sick. You can set aside one “binge day” if you want, but you don’t want your week off to be a “binge week” as it can wreak havoc on your system. I am cautioning from experience here. [blushing]
Take care all!
Old 01-15-2002, 06:16 PM   #19  
Uber-Moderator!!

Post Wanted to share this with y'all!

Dr. Hussman sent me (and probably about a kajillion other folks) a very interesting email...it's long but I think you'll find it interesting - especially those of you who are in the first few weeks of this journey!
Quote:
FAT COMES OFF EVENLY

As you may know, you can get fairly good estimates of your bodyfat composition simply from a single skinfold, or by passing a tiny electrical current through your foot, ankle or hands. What this really means is that fat is distributed fairly precisely on the body. And while it's true that some people have larger fat deposits on some parts of their body than others, it's also true that percentage-wise, the fat on your body comes off fairly evenly.

That's important to remember when you measure your progress. See, one of the first places you're probably looking for fat loss is on those areas of your body that you think are "too fat." But in fact, that's the last place you should look, because I can guarantee that those areas are still going to look "too fat" for a little while.

Think of it this way. If you have a roll of paper towels (or a cassette tape), and you start to unravel it, you can get a good amount off of the roll before you really see a visible change. But as you get further down that roll, even taking off a little more is very apparent.

The same is true with your body. The first place you're going to see greater definition is at those areas where the fat deposits are relatively thin already. For most people, this is around the shoulders and clavicles (the two long bones that run just under your neck, connecting your two shoulders to the breast plate).

Another reason why this is important is that advertisers often prey on the belief that fat can be "spot-reduced." All the twisty ab-crunchers on the market are perfect examples. Basically, these companies get a fitness model that has followed months or years of weight training, aerobics, and proper nutrition, and have them roll back and forth in one of these things, as if they actually got in shape that way.

Or look at all the books promising to help you lose fat "for your type" - pear shaped, apple shaped, dodecahedron shaped - you name it. It's true, for example, that people who are insulin resistant tend to store more fat in the midsection, and that women tend to store more fat in the thigh area. But so what? If you lose the fat, it comes off EVERYWHERE. If a problem area looks "too fat", training that area with exercise may very well improve the definition of the underlying muscles and the overall form of that area. But it will not accelerate fat loss relative to other parts of your body.

If the body didn't lose fat uniformly, we'd all wobble around like Weebles because our relatively fixed bone and muscle structure wouldn't be able to tolerate the variation. The best way to change the size of your body is through caloric deficits. The best way to change the shape is through resistance training. The one thing you need to achieve a total physique and fitness transformation is to do EVERYTHING - aerobics, intervals, resistance training, cross-training, small frequent meals, high-quality protein and carbohydrates, low-glycemic nutrition, proper supplementation, water, and rest. As Shawn Phillips says, "the one thing, is everything."

So again, if you're looking for results in the mirror, look for the first signs of improved definition at those areas where muscle is relatively close to the surface. For most people, this is the upper chest and shoulder area. After two weeks, you probably won't see enormous visible changes elsewhere. But those changes are happening anyway.

You should definitely be keeping track of how your clothes feel. Go to the closet and pick out an outfit that's just a little too tight. Put it aside. You'll want to try it on occasionally. Waist measurements can also capture fat loss that isn't necessarily evident in the mirror.

PEAK-TO-PEAK, TROUGH-TO-TROUGH

As for the scale, remember that just on the basis of things like water retention (especially after free days), digestive contents, and other factors, your scale weight will typically fluctuate about 4% from peak to trough in any given week. So if you weighed 130 pounds last week, and you weigh 135 today, it's not any sort of evidence that you've gained or lost fat. What you really want to know is what's happening from peak-to-peak or trough-to-trough across a number of weeks.

I always get a little concerned when people start reporting their 2-week progress. Invariably, people who had been eating high carbohydrate diets prior to starting their program will report huge weight losses of 8 pounds or more (mostly water), which just depresses the heck out of people who aren't seeing those numbers. And it eventually depresses the people who report the huge weight losses because they typically slow down to a more normal pace after a few weeks.

You should be neither elated nor discouraged by your two-week progress. Just keep tracking your results from peak-to-peak, trough-to-trough. If fat loss has been difficult in the past, there's nothing quite like the feeling of breaking to a new trough. You'll get used to the fact that your weight will pop higher for a few days, but if you're sticking to your plan, it won't be long before you hit an even lower trough.

If you're seeing no results at all of any kind, do what Bill Phillips (author of "Body for Life") suggests. Fail fast. That doesn't mean changing your whole program. But it does mean being brutally honest with yourself about whether you're actually doing everything it takes. Look carefully at the caloric deficit you've actually been creating. Be sure you're not seriously underestimating your intake. Be sure you're not seriously overestimating your activity. If you've been sedentary outside of your workouts, add a walk in the evening, or walk around the house if you have to. But fail fast, fix what's wrong, and keep going.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:24 PM   #20  
Mel

Default BF calculations and boy am I sore!

OK -what the heck are all these muscles for? I went skiing today for the first time in 8 years, and after I remembered how, took a few hard runs, and could barely stand up. Now, I know I've just started BFL, but really, I've been lifting for 6 years! Aren't these muscles supposed to be good for something? Or just decorative ? Today was supposed to be my "no workout" day but I may re-evaluated that in the morning!

On another subject, my calipers finally arrived. I really don't know what to think. I get a calculation anywhere from 16% (that's gotta be wrong) to 22% (hopin' that's wrong too). But then when I use the tape measure method, I got 29% I'm not sure where to go with this. I'm very short torso'd- basically no space between ribs and hips so have always had a thick waist, even in my anorexic, marathon running days. Could that be skewing the tape measure method? I sure hope so! I'd like to have a good idea of where I am so I know in 11 weeks what my progress was.

MrsJim- Thanks for reposting some of the gems that others have probably seen before, but I'm finding them real useful. The "Fat Comes Off Evenly" one is great. I spend too much time staring at my belly and moaning! My shoulders look pretty good and I finally saw collarbones around last November. That was a great day

Some free day thoughts: When I started sugarbusters, all I could think about was crusty bread and regular pasta and popcorn. Now, it doesn't even look good. And the few times I cheated, I felt sooo physically awful, that there's no way I'll do free day pig-outs. I will stay sugar-clean, and low glycemic. There are so many foods that are delicious and won't cause the bloaty, sugar-starch hangover!

gotta go soak in a tub,

mel
Old 01-16-2002, 01:50 PM   #21  

Default water suggestion...inspired by a lime sale

Take 1/2 lime and juice it (I use a glass dish thing intended for a bartender) then dump the juice in a quart bottle. Add three packets of Splenda, stir, then fill with water and ice. I've been doing this twice a day. It has a delicate barely sweet taste and is very refreshing. I'm sure lemon would do just as well.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:05 AM   #22  

Thanks Lisa! I know that a lot of the no carb places sell packaged lemonade but it is so expensive!!! I'm sure all they do is throw some lemon/Splenda together.

Closed Thread