3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Slimfast (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/118-slimfast.html)

MrsJim 02-28-2001 09:06 PM

Lisa - the last time I checked, Slim Fast had 35 grams of sugar.

a gram of sugar has four calories - 4 x 35 = 140 sugar calories.

Slim fast has 220 calories per serving.

That's WELL over 50% sugar. Sugar does not fill you up - and we all know it's not good for you. Speaking for myself, if I eat something with lots of sugar, it will not satisfy me for long - just makes me hungrier usually.

BTW, the yogurt I eat has no sugar in it at all - except what is naturally in the fruit. I buy either Safeway's Light yogurt (90 calories per serving) or Dannon's Light N' Fit. Neither one has any added sugar. So you see, it's all a matter of label reading!

MrsJim
265/155/145

wwgal 02-28-2001 10:44 PM

I am new to this thread but not new to slimfast. I hope no one will mind if i voice my opionion about the slimfat debate here. I am looking at my can of powder slimfast and it has 12 grams of sugar ( pretty good i think) 5 grams of fiber ( also a good amount) and 12grams of protein. See i do read the label and i think slimfast is a good way to lose weight. I can drink it at breakfast and it fills me up until lunch.

Liza 02-28-2001 11:48 PM

One more opinion to add. I use Slim Fast powder as a fast snack to keep myself from eating out of control while I make dinner. It is a better choice for me to make given my situation, it gets a milk into me (quite a feat in itself), and I make it with so much ice, it can count as a water.) For 3 points I can sip a 24 ounce glass of it the whole time I am cooking dinner.

It also does act as a sweet for me, it is sweet, but that works for me too. I do not know if it could take the place of a meal though, I need a pretty solid breakfast.

Overall, you would have to balance the pros and cons and if nothing else, try a can and see how it goes.

I do like the Lunar Bars, they are great 3 point morning snack.

I do like the Kashi Good Friends cereal and have to say that the cereal is one of those things, either you like it or not. I do not know of who are on the fence about it.

Try different things, who knows what will be a good choice and strike your fancy.

Liza

memyselfandlisa 03-01-2001 12:36 AM

A MESSAGE FOR MRS JIM, I DONT KNOW WHAT SLIMFAST CAN YOU WERE LOOKING AT BUT THE ONE IN FRONT OM ME SAY THE ONE IN FRONT OF ME SAY 15 GRAMS OF SUGAR. HAVE A GOOD DAY LISA

memyselfandlisa 03-01-2001 12:39 AM

FOR WWGAL, THANKS FOR BACKING ME UP, AT FIRST I THOUGHT I WAS READING MY CAN WRONG LOL, BUT NO, I GUESS I WASNT AFTER ALL. ITS AMAZING WHAT YOU CAN LEARN IF "YOU READ THE LABELS" HUH LISA

memyselfandlisa 03-01-2001 12:50 AM

AND I GOT TO SAY JUST ONE MORE THING LOL, DANNON LIGHT N FIT YOGURT HAS 8 GRAMS OF SUGAR, I KNOW THIS BECUASE I HAVE 20 OF THEM IN MY FRIDGE AND I EAT THEM EVERY DAY.
SO IF POSSIBLE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW EXACTLY WHAT LABEL IT IS THAT YOU ARE READING. ARE U SURE "YOU" ARE READING IT CORRECTLY LOL

MrsJim 03-01-2001 02:01 AM

Lisa - no need to shout!

Here's the nutrition stats right off Slim Fast's own website http://www.slimfast.com/products/rtd_choc_royale.asp

in case you want to check my research...

Calories - 220
Total Fat - 3 g
Cholesterol - 5 mg
Sodium - 220 mg
Total Carbohydrate - 5 g
Sugars - 35 g
Protein - 10 g

So, YES, there is indeed 35 grams of sugar in Slim Fast. In fact, the Vanilla versions and the juice versions have even more sugar, up to 39 grams of sugar per serving, actually.

In comparision, the product that I use occasionally has the following nutritional info:

Calories - 200
Total Fat - 1g
Cholesterol - 15 mg
Sodium - 120 mg
Total Carbos - 19g
Sugar - 1 g (yes, that's 1 gram!)
Protein - 30 g

And I paid $30 for 20 servings by searching the Web and finding it on sale. Plus it tastes great - very thick and creamy (you mix it with water). The point I was trying to make is that, if you want to go the meal replacement route, you will find that if you do your research there are products out there that are WAY better for you than SlimFast is.

Now, as far as the yogurt, I admit I might have been incorrect on the Dannon but I KNOW I was not on the Safeway Lucerne Light Yogurt which is the one I usually purchase since it's usually on sale for 50 cents or less. In addition, Jim has to watch his sugar intake and the Safeway Light Peach is his favorite! The only time I buy the Dannon is when it is on sale, so I apologize for the assumption I made in thinking that the Dannon and Safeway yogurts were identical. Rest assured though that there ARE some sugar free yogurts out there!

I'd just like to close this by saying that getting into a heated debate about something like SlimFast is ridiculous, and I for one would just like to end it right now...

MrsJim
265/155/145 (ten pounds to goal!)

[This message has been edited by MrsJim (edited 02-28-2001).]

memyselfandlisa 03-01-2001 03:45 AM

HEY I HAVE NO PROBLEM ENDING THIS RIGHT NOW, BUT IF YOU PEOPLE SHOWED A LITTLE MORE SUPPORT FOR OTHERS, NO MATTER WHAT THEY WERE USING I WOULDNT HAVE A PROBLEM, THAT IS THE TROUBLE WITH THESE SO CALLED SUPPORT BOARD, THERE IS NO SUPPORT. ITS A BUNCH OF STUPID FREAKY PEOPLE THAT GOT NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN ***** ABOUT A PRODUCT, JUST CUASE IT DIDNT WORK FOR THEM.
AND I ALWAYS TYPE IN CAP,
AND TO LET YOU KNOW, I DRINK CHOCOLATE ROYALE, AND I HAVE THE CAN IN FRONT OF ME, AND THERE IS 17 GRAMS OF SUGAR IN IT, I ALSO WENT AND GOT ANOTHER CAN TO MAKE SURE IT WANST A TYPO, AND IT SAYS THE SAME THING.
DISCUSSCUSION OVER!!

memyselfandlisa 03-01-2001 04:19 AM

HERE IS THE SLIMFAST I DRINK.......
STRAIGHT FROM THE WEB PAGE
Ultra Slim•Fast®
Milk Chocolate Shake Mix
Artificially Flavored

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To view how each nutrient in Ultra Slim•Fast shakes is crucial to your health, just click on a nutrient in the table below.

N u t r i t i o n F a c t s
Serving Size 1 Scoop / 1/3 Cup (33g)
Servings Per Container About 12

Amount Per Serving Shake Mix with 8 fl oz
Fat-Free Milk

Calories (Energy) 120 210

Calories From Fat 15 20

% Daily Value**

Total Fat 1.5g* 2% 3%

Saturated Fat 0.5g 3% 4%

Polyunsaturated Fat 0g

Monounsaturated Fat 0g

Cholesterol <5mg 2% 3%

Sodium 140mg 6% 11%

Potassium 200mg 6% 17%

Total Carbohydrate 22g 7% 11%

Dietary Fiber 5g 20% 20%

Sugars 13g

Protein 5g 10% 27%

Vitamin A 15% 25%

Vitamin C 45% 50%

Calcium 20% 50%

Iron 35% 35%

Vitamin D 25% 50%

Vitamin E 100% 100%

Vitamin K 25% 25%

Thiamin 30% 35%

Riboflavin 10% 30%

Niacin 50% 50%

Vitamin B6 30% 35%

Folate 25% 30%

Vitamin B12 35% 50%

Biotin 50% 50%

Pantothenic Acid 40% 50%

Phosphorus 10% 35%

Iodine 10% 35%

Magnesium 25% 30%

Zinc 30% 35%

Selenium 25% 25%

Copper 10% 10%

Manganese 35% 35%

Chromium 35% 35%

Molybdenum 35% 35%

*Amount in Mix
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Your daily values may be higher or lower depending
on your calorie needs.
PLEASE NOTE THE SUGER IS ONLY 13GRAMS

THANKYOU VERY MUCH!!!

wwgal 03-01-2001 09:26 AM

Hi everyone,

I just have a question: I thought this thread was for being using slimfast to get support. I was just reading through the list and i don;t see much support .

Bumby 03-01-2001 08:26 PM

This thread was started by someone asking "I wonder if anyone has had any experiences, good or bad, with Slimfast." Accordingly, people posted their experiences--some good, some bad. Some encouraged/supported the use of the product, some discouraged. This is to be expected from the question that was posed.

Now, should someone wish to start a buddy-group type thread for those who have already made the decision to use Slimfast, it would be inappropriate for those who have negative things to say about this program to come along and try to dissuade the participants in a Slim-fast support group from continuing with a program that's working for them. I would hope that wouldn't happen, although I know it does from time to time.

This site offers serves two great functions: support AND information exchange. Telling someone (who's ASKED) that you did not like something or don't think it's a good idea isn't being unsupportive.

All this being said, I just need to add that I believe the discrepancy between Mrs. Jim's NI and Lisa's is that one refers to the canned liquid and one to the powder. The powder, of course, is added to milk which contains lactose, a naturally-occurring sugar.

I have no bone to pick with Slimfast--as I mentioned before, I've used it succesfully and I think it is the right way to go for some people. Maybe there are some other meal-replacement products that are nutritionally superior in some way or another, but Slimfast beats a lot of ways I used to replace my meals--with french fries, or ice cream, for example!

Mrs. Jim--you are a most articulate and well-read person. Your posts are very informative. It's a shame this has degenerated into a bizarre argument, isn't it?

MrsJim 03-01-2001 09:09 PM

Bumby - I wasn't going to post on this particular thread anymore but I had to answer you. YES! I do believe that this has gotten totally out of hand.

I did use the nutritional info of the ready-to-drink Slimfast for these reasons:

1) In all the current TV ads I've seen for the product, they push the ready-to-drink exclusively; and

2) It is by far the biggest selling version of SlimFast - I believe the reason for that is its convenience (most of us are in fulltime jobs and/or parents and don't always have time to drag the ol' blender out).

I have no idea why the sugar is so much higher in the canned version than in the powder. Part of it most likely is due to the sugar naturally present in milk, but I talked to my Dad (who is a retired food & beverage chemist, and was also an intern in the US Army) and his theory in short is that the RTD Slimfast and the powdered version are two different formulas. There may be extra sugar added to the canned stuff along with extra thickening agents and preservatives, as well as a short cooking process during the canning process...

In addition, I believe that if someone wants to start a 'support' thread for whatever weight loss method they choose to use, it should be started on the "Support" forum rather than this "Diet Plans" forum. "Nuff said...

MrsJim
265/155/145

Bumby 03-01-2001 09:15 PM

Two different formulas? I can believe that. I always hated the ready-to-drink stuff. Blech. Tasted like a tin can. I used the powder, lotsa ice, and made a huge, 16 oz shake to drink with a straw on my way to work.

sakk 03-01-2001 09:42 PM

I tried slimfast once before. It helped initially to get me started, but I ended up just gaining everything back (I had lost about 20-25#). I guess the only thing that I really have against the fad diets, is that you're not learning anything. I need to learn what it takes to make me healthy. Losing the pounds is wonderful & awesome, but I want to learn about nutrition and eating right. I want to become the active, athletic person that I was meant to be. I want to provide well-balanced, nutritious meals for my family.

I still have Slimfast at home. I will have a shake maybe a few times a month. Not for the weightloss. I wake up at about 5:45. I watch little ones in my home. I wake up with an empty gut, but can't stomach the thought of food some mornings. So every once in a while, I will mix up a vanilla shake to start my day off.

I think when a person is attempting any fad diet, that they have to accept that once they come off of it, the weight will probably start coming back on. Unless a person makes life changes for good (health, activity/exercise, water intake, proper sleep, etc.), the other factors are going to always have control.

Just my .02 :) And, I HAVE lost the weight on SlimFast. Had I started more life changes at that point, maybe it would have stayed off? Who knows!

Sandi
255/255/150

kennedy 03-03-2001 12:09 AM

Why does everyone call slimfast a fad diet? It has been around for YEARS and many people have had great success on it and kept the weight off!! My sil used it to lose all her pregnancy weight, my sister just lost 15 lbs on it and has kept every pound off eating normally, just healthy, the keyword being healthy! Fad diet to me is something that makes you lose fast but temporary....slimfast if anyone ever gives it a chance before condemning it and has the snacks your suppose to have and right number of calories you lose about 2 lbs a week! How is that a fad diet?People love shakes and always have! All I am saying is it is a lifestyle like anything we do and sure if you treat it like a "diet" the weight will come back! Its a choice to drink those shakes that you make and it's up to you to stick to it but if you can't don't make others feel bad because they enjoy it. Alot of women only have the shakes and dinner.Thats not healthy.You need more calories like they say to have!

Sarah
(slimfast drinker and whos pregnancy hormones are out of control!)