General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/194/140

Height: 5'7

Post I Need Motherly Advice.

My daughter is 11 months old. For the past 2 weeks, she wakes up during the night crying. She will sit up in her bed and cry until I get up to pick her up. I've tried talking to her (she sleeps in the same room-but not the same bed as me) to let her know I'm there and everything's alright if she's having bad dreams. She has always slept through the night.
Have any of you had a problem with your toddler sleeping at night? Why has she started doing this all of a sudden? She is always sleepy when I put her to bed. She has the same bedtime (and daytime routine). I thought it might be teething, but she stops crying when I pick her up. Thanks for any advice!!
Old 10-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/290/175

Height: 5'10"

OK here goes - just so you know I'm legit I'm a nurse and I work in ER and also in a pediatricians office.

Children tend to go through stages around 9mths, 12mths, 15mths and 18mths where they will wake up in the middle of the night and want to get up. this may be a developmental were not really sure. Not all children have this happen at every mile stone listed above, and the mth is a estimate some children hit it early some hit it late. There is really not a whole lot you can do, but stick it out. I have a 15mth old and have been through this a few times now. What I do - when I first hear her crying (she sleeps in her own room across the hall, but both of our doors are open) I wait to see what her cry is going to do. (you know what I mean if its just a whine or if its going to turn into a full fledges cryathon) If its the real thing - I go to her room, check her out make sure she doesn't have any limbs stuck in the crib, pooped her pants whatever, if she's ok I turn over onto her tummy (her perfered sleeping position) and pat her but, pull her covers up and say its night night time, go to sleep mommy loves you. I go back to my room. Look at the clock (this is very inportant) and I will let her cry for 10 mins. If after 10 mins she is still crying I go back across the hall repeat above procedure. GO back to my room look at the clock and give her 15 mins to cry if still crying, I again repeat - every time I go in there I add 5 mins

I have been very lucky - my daughter has never done this for more than 1.5 hrs. The first night is always!! bad, it get better as the week goes on. most people only have to do this for about 3 nights before the child will again sleep through the night - but it can take 7 - 10 days. I recommend only doing this with a healthy child, colds, ear infections are a whole different thing - they may trully need mommy than - if your not sure about the healthy take her into your doctors, because repeatly waking up in the night can also be a sighn of ear infections.

Oh Just another little note - look at the clock because when your child is crying it can feel like forever when in fact its only been 2-3 mins.

Best of Luck and I hope I helped you somewhat
Old 10-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #3  
resident lactivist

How sad that anyone is promoting letting a baby (yes, a 13-month-old is still a baby) cry.

Here is an excellent article from the Australian Association for Infant Mental Health on why "controlled crying" is not a good thing:
http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.o...d%20Crying.pdf

From that paper:
Quote:
Infants from about six months of age suffer from differing degrees of anxiety when separated from their carers. This continues until they learn that their carers will return when they leave, and that they are safe. This learning may take up to three years.

Infants whose parents respond to their crying promptly, learn to settle more quickly in the long run, as they become secure in the knowledge that their needs for emotional comfort will be met.
I really urge you to read that. Letting your daughter cry it out will undoubtedly eventually stop her from crying, but it's not pyschologically or developmentally appropriate.

It is quite common to wake during the night at this age. Now, what I would do is dump anything fluffy off my bed and take the little one into my bed (yes, it is safe). But I understand that not everyone wants to do that. All I can really say is, comfort her as best you can. I have heard good things about the "No Cry Sleep Solution"; I know there's a book out there about it, but I don't know who writes it. Lovingly easing your child into a longer sleep period should be the goal, not merely quieting her.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #4  
This time it's for ME!

S/C/G: SW/172 CW/159 GW/145

Height: 5' 7.5"

Ditto on the ear infections.

As you probably know each child is different.

When my oldest had an ear infection she would have fever and was restless at night but my youngest just had problems sleeping with NO FEVER at all. She always slept well except when she had an infection.

It's best to get her checked by her doctor just in case.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:51 PM   #5  

I probobly shouldn't do this, But what the hey I'm annoyed.
My daughter is a beautifull well ajusted little girl who knows that her parents love her very much.
My letting her cry everyonce in a while to help her to sleep, something that is very important to her development and well being in no way underminds that fact.
I personally feel very sad for the babys/children that are never made to deal with any frustration and don't know how to function in life such as being able to put them selves to sleep - a very inportant skill.

OK that's the end of my vent HAPPY HOUSE WIFE - you have to decide on your own what best for YOU and your daughter, wether you feel you need to let her cry it out or try other methods - the only thing that I will caution you on - taking a child in to your own bed can be a very hard habit to break - so be sure that you are willing to make that commitment before you do it and please toss out anything that is fluffy or extra soft first.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #6  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Ooohh, dangerous ground here

We all need to parent in a way that works best for our own family.

In my own experience, letting them cry and learn to comfort themselves, as long as the know they are safe and loved...can be a wonderful thing. It really does only take a few nights, and our whole family was happier, healthier and better off because we got the sleep we needed. We have well adjusted, happy, confident kids who often know how to solve their own problems..although they can certainly come to us if necessary in the night (though they seldom do)

I know this would not work for everyone, and I absolutely, deeply respect each parent's right to make their own choices. I tend to agree with EviesMommy on this one.

What lucky children we have, to have parents who love them so much..and are so concerned with their well being

Linda
Old 10-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #7  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

EviesMommy

We were posting the same sentiment at exactly the same time! By the time I was done writing my response, yours was there too.

Linda
Old 10-24-2006, 04:02 PM   #8  
Addicted to potato salad!

I'm on a fence between Eviesmommy and GBMM. Although I know of many kids my kids' ages who's moms did the method tht Eviesmommy recommended, when the time came to implement this tactic in my own house, I couldn't do it AT ALL. I tried it on my daughter when she was about your child's age. Parents insisted that I leave my daughter to cry herself to sleep. They all said to resist the urge at all costs to let her come sleep with me, even if I had to lock the door to keep her in her own room. I tried this ONE NIGHT and ended up with her having a phobia with having her door closed for years (until she became a pre-teen and now I can't get her to leave her door open...privacy, you know... ). Afer that, it was the usual that she climbed in my bed nearly every night whenever she wanted to. I STILL feel guilty and horrible...she was terrified by that method. I tried this with my son at about a year old and went into the bathroom to wait for my few minutes to goby so to pat his fanny and make sure he was okay after 10 mins...after about 30 seconds, he quieted down and I thought, "that was waaaay too easy..." I went in and my husband was holding him and crying. We both agreed that we'd just have to be a slave to our son's sleep patterns.

Here's my recommendation. Letting our child sleep with you isn't a great idea as it'll go on for years. I saw this on Supernanny and lo and behold, this is what ended up working with my son. Put the baby to sleep, turn off the lights and sit in quiet next to her bed. Actually, I ended up playing soothing music, too, but on Supernanny, she had a quiet room. The baby can see you're there, but since you're not talking and directing her to be quiet, she'll be reassured that you're there, but will get the hint that it's sleep time. I ended up loving this time with my son because I got a small reading light and would sit and read a book with the music on in the dark while he fell asleep. Eventually, I'd put his music on, turn the lights dim and tell him I was going to put on my pajamas and I"d be right back. I did this and then would sit and watch TV on my bed for ten minutes and would check in on him even if he wasn't crying or calling me so he knew I was right there. Now, I put him to bed, put on the music, dim the lights and say, "Good night" and he goes right out...he might still think I'm in my room watching TV, but he goes right out.

This has been, by far, the most successful way of getting my kids a decent bedtime routine. Reading a few books before bedtime is also VERY nice. I usually read three stories to my son at night. Unless I'm tired or don't feel good, then I get out the books with the CD's attached.

I'm still kicking myself for my one night of mean strictness with my daughter. She's a teenager now and I still hug her and feel guilty for it. What a meanie!!

Anyhow...I know many moms that put their babies to bed and shut the door and let them cry it out without even giving them the ten/fifteen/etc rule and their kids are fine today. BUT, I also remember BAWLING in my bed at night and being flat-out ignored by my parents and I still remember how bad it hurt...like nobody cared. I'm 40. Sheesh. But they also say that a baby that learns to comfort itself back to sleep is a good thing and is good for the baby.

Do what works for you!!
Old 10-24-2006, 04:07 PM   #9  

Thankyou Linda for posting - You helped to difuse some of my anger. You are absolutly right that every family parents in their own way and that is whats best for them. only you trully know your own children. What works for some familys does not work for others. What works for some children does not always work for others. Everyone is a individual with their own preferences.
I just felt a like my parenting skills got bashed, wether that was the intention or not. I do let my daughter cry things out- but if she is trully not feeling well or trully needs me I am there - I perfer to sit up and rock her rather than risk making a habit of taking her into my bed - but that is just me. I could probobly go on and on and on with this. but I will let it go.

BEst of luck to you Happy House WIfe - what ever option you choose.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:20 PM   #10  
Addicted to potato salad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by famograham View Post

What lucky children we have, to have parents who love them so much..and are so concerned with their well being

Linda
Very well stated, Linda
Old 10-24-2006, 05:05 PM   #11  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Hi happy house wife. My daugter is 3 now, she never once slept through the night until she was 2 1/2 she was in her own room, but I never could stand to let her cry it out. Her really really bad nights she was usually having nightmares and needed a hug, kiss and a rock. your daughter is probably going through some seperation anxiety and just needs to be reassured you are there.

My son is in my bed, because of reflux he cant sleep unless he is ploped over my side. I cant wait until the reflux is gone.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/167/135

Height: 5'1

Just wanted to say that both of my kiddos went through this. It usually started when they were learning to sit-up, pull-up or walk. Different things worked for each of my kids. My daughter just needed mommy to walk in and lay her back down and let her know that all is ok. I would pat her back for a minute or two until she settled down. My son, however, needed mommy to hold him & nurse him until he felt safe enough to sleep again. The phase usually lasted 4-7 days (for us). Good luck and find what works for you. Lots of good advice here. Hang in there.

carafre
Old 10-24-2006, 10:41 PM   #13  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

I agree that taking a child to your bed can be a very hard habit to break...( My nephew couldn't sleep alone @10 years old and required therapy to break it) However, I have , on occassion, taken my son to bed. I have also let him "work it out", not to mention, very often he will be picked up and soothed if he is a certain kind of upset. Being his Mother I am capable of gauging his comfort levels. I do what I feel is right at the time...that what makes me Mommie.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:51 PM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

My take on this whole deal (from a father of 2 ~ step-father of one ~ guardian of my nephew) is if the little one is too little to "con" you with tears then pick them up ~ the nights without sleep will pass.

My little guy (who by the way is 25 and will be married in 3 weeks) would cry until we either put him in his swing and played Johnny Hortons Battle of New Orleans over and over, or walk him outside ~ as soon as he was outside he would quit crying ~ never could figure it out ~ but that too did pass.

I (and I stress I liked the idea of having my kiddos in my room while they were itty-bitty ~ never in bed to sleep with us though.

Good luck and try everyone's advice ~ they all have valid points.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:53 AM   #15  
plucky clucky

S/C/G: 228/228/130 or less

Height: 5" 5'

Goofy question but she isn't seeing anything scary on tv is she? My oldest son - now 10, was so sensitive to stuff on tv, even commercials would set him off later at night. It took me a while to figure out if there was a kinda creepy commercial on tv that day, he would be awake crying that night. Once I figured that out and made sure nothing weird was flashing on tv his night crying eased up. Ever since I have been very selective of what my kids can watch. Anyhoo thats my 2 cents.
Closed Thread