General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #1  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Default Gaultier Hires Size 20 Model

http://cbs2.com/video/[email protected]
Old 10-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #2  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Wow!

I could strangle the ***** who said "Thanks for making me laugh"! What in **** is wrong with putting a fat woman on the damn catwalk? Why shouldn't we be considered good enough, too?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #3  
resident lactivist

Good. How better to showcase the idiocy of size 0 models than a size 20 model? A real-sized person up there with the women chosen for their resemblance to clotheshangers.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:28 PM   #4  
plucky clucky

S/C/G: 228/228/130 or less

Height: 5" 5'

Yeah but she is still unhealthy right along with the skinny models. I don't know why they can't use healthy size models instead of the extreme.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:42 PM   #5  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Thumbs up

I just read on ET Online that she is a size 28, and 291 pounds I watched the CBS video but it doesn't seem to show her actually walking the runway... did I miss it? I saw a lot of very, very thin women though. Yeesh. Seems weird not to have HER videotaped in it

Anything that moves women towards health and enjoying their bodies gets a huge thumbs-up from me!

Here's a link to the ET page -- which also has a video from her interviewing with them on the right side of the page.

http://www.etonline.com/celebrities/...75/index.html#
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Velvet.jpg (21.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #6  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Personally why can't they have models that are size closer to the average size 14?
I models for a short period of time, when I was a size 14, and was considered a plus size.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #7  
trouble

S/C/G: 240/219/160

Height: 5'4

oh thank goodness, she is a size 28 for a minute there is was like "I'm a size 16/18 and i'm shorter than her, do I look like that??"

I'm sorry, I agree with the idea, but why do we have to go from one extreme to another? I guess to prove a point and cause people to talk, but really as bravelilchicken said, it's not healthy, and i don't agree with someone who is a size 28 or a size 0 (both unhealthy) being role models for society and kids
Old 10-11-2006, 01:39 AM   #8  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

I don't think she was meant as a role model or anything. Her appearance was basically throwing it in the face of all those teeny little models and the people who design for them and promote them. It was a statement, and I think it's a great one!
Old 10-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #9  
resident lactivist

Fashion always deals in extremes, though. It's one thing a lot of people seem not to realize. The normal human figure is about six "heads" tall. The "fashion figure" is elongated to eight heads. It is purposely exaggerated. The same with the clothes you see on the runway. Coture, thankfully, never makes it to ready-to-wear. It's all exaggerated for effect. (Which is why I don't understand why some folks hold up models as the epitome of feminine beauty.)

Admittedly, this isn't always the way it was. A week or two ago our local paper profiled a model/photographer who said that when she'd started in 1939, the models were all sizes 10 & 12. Of course, in modern sizes they'd be probably 6 to 8, but that's still a far cry from the size nothin' we've got right now. (C'mon, we live in a society where the size-00 Eva Longoria is sometimes called curvy.) We used to have something called the "perfect size 8"--all other clothing was sized off this perfectly proportioned model. And now we have size 8s who are trying to lose weight!

Is a size 20 healthy? Probably not. Is it extreme? Not as much as a size 0, I think (if she was truly a size 28, that'd be extreme, but the woman in that video is about as much as size 28 as I am). It's only extreme when considered against the current myth of what women are. You put a size 20 woman up against a size 0 female, and I think the absurdity is well-illustrated.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #10  
hara hachi bu

Yeah, I wish they would have shown her walking down the catwalk. What, did CBS think that would be too offensive?

As long as they have models who are size 00 walking down the aisle, I totally support them adding a size-28 model. But imagine how wonderful if they had an entire fashion show of -gasp- average women?

From the ETOnline link - I love this! "Velvet says there's too much beauty in the world to pinpoint one cookie cutter ideal." Yay, Velvet!
Old 10-11-2006, 11:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Bravo for showing a full figured woman out on the catwalk! While I think both extremes aren't healthy,it is nice to get it out there that big women can be sexy and do what the thin women do.Now to see some some women in between those two extremes....that would be wonderful.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigMonsterMomma View Post

Admittedly, this isn't always the way it was. A week or two ago our local paper profiled a model/photographer who said that when she'd started in 1939, the models were all sizes 10 & 12. Of course, in modern sizes they'd be probably 6 to 8, but that's still a far cry from the size nothin' we've got right now. (C'mon, we live in a society where the size-00 Eva Longoria is sometimes called curvy.) We used to have something called the "perfect size 8"--all other clothing was sized off this perfectly proportioned model. And now we have size 8s who are trying to lose weight!
Yes, but as you pointed out, modern sizes have changed (courtesy of vanity sizing), so would the "perfect size 8" of years ago not now be the "perfect size 4"?

I agree that the image that the size 0 and 00 models present is unhealthy, but I do not think going to the other extreme is healthy either.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:36 PM   #13  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Height: 5' 1.5"

Smile

Have a gander at this... John Galliano's Spring 2006 Ready to Wear Collection. On page two, there's a model named Johanna that, I think, it just downright beautiful. She's plus sized, but IMO, more "regular" than the others. And really, I love this whole show. All different types of people. Great stuff. Oh, and Velvet D'Amour is on page one of this show too.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #14  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisha___ View Post
And really, I love this whole show. All different types of people. Great stuff.
Wow... John Galliano's a GENIUS designer! Lots of amazingly beautiful clothes. So well-cut and draped and the ornamentation!
Old 10-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #15  
trouble

S/C/G: 240/219/160

Height: 5'4

I understand the fashion industry, and he was probably using her for shock value. By the way she looks better in the spring 2006 photo series..... that one shot of her was somewhat unflattering, and like it or not, models are role models.

Johanna on pg 22 is definitely beautiful! Galliano is definitely a great designer, and I the way he mixed up his models added a lot of interest to the show and it was really fantastic.

Couture is not designed as ready to wear, the whole point of couture is that is exclusive, and custom for the buyer, it is designed for rich, thin people for whom thin = beautiful. they do not want to see clothes on real women, they want to see the clothes on thin people, and since they are paying their bills, designers can only give them what they want, whether it is unhealthy or not. This is a group of people where "wow, you're almost too thin!" is a compliment
Closed Thread