General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 08:29 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 245/186/145

Height: 5 foot 4

What entertains me is Tv and surfing the web.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #17  

I love my job....we get designated breaks which I never really have time for....but when I need a quick break I check my work and home e-mails, check my voice mail at home and grab a coffee or a quick bite.

Everyone is entitled to breaks throughout their shifts, correct? No employer expects its staff to work every minute they are at work? Or am I missing something?

L
Old 09-16-2006, 06:13 PM   #18  
Scottish Lass

S/C/G: 265/247/140

Height: 5'5'"

Okay, I have to pipe in.....

For some people there is no choice. Go to work, make the best of it and get home.

Sad, but true.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:18 PM   #19  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz321 View Post
No employer expects its staff to work every minute they are at work? Or am I missing something?

L
There is a difference between taking your designated breaks and lunch... and spending time playing on the Internet, gossipping, going on eBay, 3FC, etc. to stay "entertained" at work. A LOT of companies don't allow Internet playing on company time, nor are most employers overly concerned with your "entertainment" on the job.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:27 PM   #20  

I guess I am one of the lucky ones...I love my job and have an employer that is not so petty to worry about what I am doing or not doing.....I get my work done and am treated with the respect that I deserve.

I have never bought a thing on line...I really feel I am missing out.....I don't know my way around the internet that well and am a bit nervous about on line purchasing. Got to check out this ebay thing though.

L
Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #21  
1st baby due 3/1/07!!!

S/C/G: 150/158/135

Height: 5.3

Wow......when I started this thread I was asking what everyone else did for a fiver. There are days when I spend my breaks talking to my SO or taking a walk to get coffee. Other days I stop by my favorite message boards and blogs. Sometimes people send me interesting things or sites to go to which become new favorites.

I love my job. Thankfully my company also realizes that we aren't mechanical drones that can work 8 hours without a breather and that's what my post referred to, not that I was sitting bored for hours on end at work and simply looking for a way to bide my time.

So back to subject, today my fiver was coming here and reading the boards. If I have time, I'll check another board for the countdown to America's Next Top Model.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:41 PM   #22  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz321 View Post
I guess I am one of the lucky ones...I love my job and have an employer that is not so petty to worry about what I am doing or not doing.....I get my work done and am treated with the respect that I deserve.
Same. I actually work on the internet... so its not like I am straying that far off my job. Also I dont take any breaks (not even 15's), most days I even eat my lunch at my desk. I work at least an hour and half extra everyday... so I think a little playing around is okay since I dont get paid for extra work haha.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #23  

Same with me, Courtnie and liz321.....we have a very relaxed attitude at work. As I said before, every male there is in fantasy football, which they are checking on or talking about all the time, which I don't do. 50% of the people step outside for a smoke break every hour or two, which I don't do. We are permitted, even "encouraged", to socialize a little....we have a little bowling league and even a little golf league.

The president and owner of my company is also a woman. Her office is right across from mine. You don't know how many times she has called me in there to help her pick out a lamp or a purse or whatever she was shopping for on the internet.

The company isn't big -- there are 140 workers. The company nets over $1.5million a month. And everyone is happy. And everyone gets their jobs done, above and beyond the call of duty. And people don't quit to go find other jobs. I guess I am one of the very lucky ones, too!
Old 09-18-2006, 06:11 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I like to keep my ipod on, with the speakers on one ear while I do my work. The work is fairly monotonous, as it is expected to be considering I'm only 18 years old, just out of hs, and without a college education. I love music though, so it really helps me to listen to it while I work. That way I'm still doing my work, but keeping entertained as well.

Also, when I take a break, I like flipping through a magazine, or reading some posts on 3fc. Kind of to help me wind down for a second before I have to start working again.
Closed Thread