General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:57 AM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Is n e 1 addicted to quilting?

I'm new to this addiction. My husband, boobalah, didn't know what to think at first. Then I took him to a quilting shop. He was under the impression, as many people (guys) are, that it was something your grandmother made to keep warm in bed. He has now bought me several patterns and a book or two with vineyards and wine country motifs. He just doesn't understand that there are baby steps to be taken before I can undertake an entire wall hanging.

However, by the same token, he has embraced all the embroidered baby quilts I've made. In fact, since most of them have been for his family, he is pushing me out of the way to cut the squares and is helping with cutting the binding and attaching it. (Don't know if I'm "lovin'" this much help. )

I do love this addiction. It's totally non fatening and legal! However, I'm finding myself "hiding" fabric. I think I'm becoming a fabriholic!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:40 AM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I haven't made any quilts lately but used to love it. I need to get back to doing it. Now that I have a lot of free time, I think I'll go get me a pattern. You have re-peaked my interest. Thank you.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I make quilts, mostly lap and baby quilts. I made some full size scrap/memory quilts for the family when I started the hobbie many years ago, but decided that I got bored too easily with the big ones.

I like the smaller projects because I can finish them relatively quickly and go onto a new project with different shapes and colors.

Now, I'm making dolls.
http://www.geocities.com/charity_crafter/index.html
Sarah

Sarah
Old 09-08-2006, 12:00 PM   #4  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Don't buy a new pattern

There are plenty on the web.

I, too, like smaller projects. I don't have the room nor the patience to do big ones. I like my little ones.

I'm glad to know there are at least 3 of us on here.

Oh, love the dolls.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Here are a couple links to my favorite quilt pattern sites:
http://www.quilterscornerclub.com/
http://www.freequiltpatterns.info/

I like to work with simple things, I tried to do the more complex patterns. In fact my very first attempt to make a queen size quilt was a double wedding ring. Yes, as you can imagine I haven't quite finished it yet. It's only been 16 years!

I've discovered the fun of simple 9 patch patterns with just different fabric. I'm so bad at selecting fabric, it either matches so well that you can't tell it was several fabrics or I think it works but after buy, wash, cut and sew a couple blocks it just doesn't work. I went to a fat quarter sale at a local quilt shop, they had tons of fat quarters on tables all over the store, I started grabbing fabric then asked everyone around me what they thought. "does this work?" It was great fun because they didn't make me feel stupid because I don't have a eye for color.

I did do a couple aplique Sun Bonnet Sue/Overall Bill quilts that turned out well. I made the blocks big enough to add embroidered scenes to go with the sue/bill from children's coloring books. It was fun. I made a wall hanging for my sister that included things from their live for their 25th wedding anniversary. I'll have to get a picture of it and describe it.

Sarah
Old 09-09-2006, 01:26 AM   #6  
Proud Army Mom!

S/C/G: 202/185/165

I'm addicted to crochet, but I've tried my hand at quilting, and would love to do it. Just can't seem to pry that hook from my hand though,
Old 09-09-2006, 10:17 AM   #7  

I am sooooo envious of you guys. I would love to learn how to quilt or even how to sew for that matter. I thought that when my daughter got old enough we could take a class together. Well we did, she got board and we ended up quiting.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #8  
Proud Army Mom!

S/C/G: 202/185/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGoal View Post
I am sooooo envious of you guys. I would love to learn how to quilt or even how to sew for that matter. I thought that when my daughter got old enough we could take a class together. Well we did, she got board and we ended up quiting.
Then you should do it by yourself, by all means!! None of my friends are crafters of any sort. and sometimes I wish they were, so we could connect on that level, but they have their own interest. I don't even have a daughter to teach this stuff to, my boys are not interested. So its just me. take the class again, I highly recommend it. crochet, at least for me, is very very thereaputic.
Closed Thread