General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 10:51 AM   #1  
ugggg.....

Default Just joined Gold's Gym

My first workout session with the trainer is next Friday--he signed me up and is actually friends with my 19 year old daughter--I told him I want to use this week to build up time and endurance on the elliptical and treadmill--was going to Slim-n-Tone which helped at first but not doing anything the last six months--they didn't want anyone using the elliptical or bike for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Any advice for me from those of you who go to the gym. The trainier has talked to me about weight training, target workouts and cardio and taking advantage of some of the classes offerred--really interested in the 15 minute core crunch, yoga & pilates. Have a bad knee so we both decided until it gets more strength no stepper ot step class.

I am 40 to be 41 in December, 5'6 and fluctuating between 210 and 215 mostly closer to 210. Have a bad knee from a motorcycle accident 2 1/2 years ago.

Last edited by jules1216; 08-26-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 212.6/144.2/121

Height: 5'5"

I belonged to a Gold's Gym for a year.

Personally, I had a very bad experience, but know that not all gyms will be like this.

My impression is that this place is a very high pressure sales kind of place. They want to sell the supplments very badly. I bought the training package of 10 session for something over $600. They would not give me a consistent routine - like I wanted so that I could learn to do the weights properly. Might I say, despite arguments from me. Every week they had me doing something different, so I never felt like I could remember the program or do it properly. They put me on the fit ball - which I did not like, and said I wasn't comfortable on it so would not do it by myself. They said I didn't need to do it by myself.

I know their impression was that I would just re-up when my sessions were over - but I couldn't justify it, as I felt their intentions were not to help me, but to keep me dependent.

I admit it has led to a severe distrust of ever hiring a trainer again, so I do not really do the weight portion at the gym, because in the past doing it on my own has never had any effect - probably because I don't have the proper form, but I am thinking - trainers don't want to teach me the proper form.

Anyway - when I started having problems I called the Better Business Bureau number for a report on the Gold's Gym's here and they did have complaints. The only gyms in town that did, and a review done by Employee Health where I work tested the gym (not the personal training) and mentioned the high pressure sales tactics.

Gold's are franchise owned, so I think your experience will depend on the franchise management.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:42 PM   #3  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Thumbs up

WTG Jules!

I would so love to have a personal trainer!

I don't go to a gym but wanted to wish you much luck in your weight loss journey and WTG on taking that step and joing the gym!
Old 08-26-2006, 05:42 PM   #4  
ugggg.....

BB--I am sorry that you had a bad experience--I already talked to the guy that will be my trainer (and he is a friend of my daughter's) I already told him about my knee and that the bike makes it hurt terribly and he said we will stay away from it and the step class. I went to this very gym when daughter was in ninth grade--I wasn't ready then--I didn't want people to see me sweating and huffing and puffing because I was the fat woman. It was a very BAD experience for me that first time--will let you know if my change in attitude has helped make this a better one. Now I am really at the point that I don't care what they think, I just had the turning 40 , empty nest what am I if I am not mom thing and I am ready to do this for myself. The last time I was ther they did not try to sell us any supplements and this guy was definitely not high pressure but it might have been me saying this is what I want/what's the best price you can give me approach. They even have a separate womens section now which they didn't before. I actually live in WV and it is a very laid back southern type atmosphere.

Cristina--I have missed you--lots going on in my life--all stressfull-hoping the gym will help. Kudos to you for being in oneunderland!!

Last edited by jules1216; 08-26-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/166/150

Height: 5'8"

Hey,

Hope your training and gym experience goes well.
Closed Thread