General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:41 PM   #1  
Cute n' curvy.

S/C/G: 270/270/130

Height: 5'3"

Question Travel buddy - Massachusetts

Hey! I've never traveled before. I mean I have, but just little day trips -- nothing major. I'm dying to see the world, but being a single girl totally has its disadvantages. All my friends have partners/husbands/girlfriends and they wouldn't dare be away from them for 4 minutes let alone go on a 10 day trip with me to see the pyramids in Egypt. I would hate to go alone, but what are my other options? Does anyone else feel this way about this subject?

Last edited by turkeysandwich; 07-24-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/165/120

Height: 5'2"

The way I see it, going alone isn't such a bad thing. I really don't mind doing things alone once in a while. It's not better or worse than going with somebody...just different. It'll be a good chance to get to know yourself in a different way, and you can just leave the hotel and do whatever without worrying if the other person is having a good time...

You never know, you might meet a hottie!
Old 07-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Sign up to go with a tour group. You get your own room, but don't have to eat dinner alone if you don't want to.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #4  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateful
Sign up to go with a tour group. You get your own room, but don't have to eat dinner alone if you don't want to.
That's a great suggestion. I'd recommend going alone, but depending on where you go there can be an element of safety involved. With a group, you know you'd have a little security.

And what exciting plans!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #5  
Cute n' curvy.

S/C/G: 270/270/130

Height: 5'3"

I'm just nervous, but I perhaps I should use it as a reward for my weight loss. I've just never been out of the country before (or on an airplane, for that matter) and I would love to have someone with me. I know what you mean about seeing if the other person is having a good time. THAT could be a pain in the a$$, lol. People are so damn picky.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 236/207/175

Height: 6ft

I think a big part of a trip of that magnitude is having someone to talk to and share it with .. the tour group idea could turn out fantastic .. you could make new friends that ya keep for a lifetime of lil trips like this. I know my Father has gone on cruises and made friends that he still visits from time to time. Being in a different country and such there is definitely safety in numbers and having a tour group that ya can enjoy it with could make it even that much better... but shop around ..try to find a group more within ya age group .. check with different travel agents or maybe find a family member... a cousin ya haven't had enough time with or maybe even ya mom or someone ... my son wants to go to venice for his graduation trip so it will just be me and him on that ..altho my dad has said he wants to go back there too *military brat here so have been there with my father before* but even if my dad doesn't go we might still hook up with a tour group just for a lil direction in our sight seeing .. altho if dad goes ... who could ask for a better tour guide!!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:46 PM   #7  

We travel quite a bit and I would second going on a tour. Especially for your first time and if you are traveling outside of the country. There are lots of travel forums you can join to pick up tidbits on how to get the best deal, the best places to go and so on. Another idea is to check out your Junior College. Some offer travel packages after completing so many units of a language- like Spain!! It is a big world out there. Have fun and enjoy it!

P.S. Before paying for an all inclusive, like the many they have in Mexico, keep in mind how many times you will realistically eat at the hotel. For some it is a great deal because their idea of a vacation is to go to a resort, enjoy all the admenities, and never leave it. For us we like to get out more. Again, in Mexico in the Riviera there are many places to see and places to eat that fit well into a budget. You just have to be wise about what you pick to eat. Stay away from soups and stews where they use water. Only order drinks from a bottle and never with ice !!
Old 07-31-2006, 11:20 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I went to greece a few years ago with a tour group that was just for women. They do exist out there. The one I used was http://www.wanderwoman.com/

It was great, small tour group with lots of flexibility.
Closed Thread