General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 08:11 AM   #1  

Default Summer hair nightmare

Does anyone else have thick, wavy hair that just becomes a frizzy, huge mass in the summer humidity? If so what, if any products do you find helpful? I don't want crunchy, stiff hair, just normal soft hold that does not become 3x normal size. Drug store products a plus. Would love to hear others favorite products for these problems. Thanks
Old 06-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #2  

Have you tried a hair serum? You can buy them anywhere and not just in the salons (and as a cosmetologist I'll admit in this area there isn't much difference ) Serum is a thick oil substance that you put on your hair when it's wet and it weighs it down. I use it and couldn't do without it or my head would look like a mushroom. I have also found that for the money at Wal-mart, the "Zero Frizz" brand is twice maybe three times the size of FrizzEase for the same price and works just as well PLUS FrizzEase has to be put on dripping wet hair and the Zero Frizz can be put on after it's towel dried.

Also look into the Shampoos and Conditioners that are offered in the same brands. They are a bit more expensive for a drug store brand but worth it to me.

If you wanted to try a salon product Matrix puts out a really good one called Curl Life. I don't care much for the Curl Life styling products but the Shampoo and Conditioner are great. For the styling products you could switch over to the Matrix Sleek Look,which is where you will find a little bitty bottle of the hair serum for a huge price.

Zero Frizz or FrizzEase are where I put my money.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:48 AM   #3  
Addicted to potato salad!

My daughter has hair that is so curly it feels like crinkle cut french fries when you run your hand down the side of her head. I got her the Curls Rock line from TIGI and I DON'T recommend it...or anything else that says it's for curly hair because their motive is to enhance the curl. She looked exactly like Rosanne Rosanna Danna (Gilda Radner on SNL) and her hair about needed its own zip code. Curls Rock would be great, though, for those that have a perm and are trying to enhance it...not trying to control it.

What we use is the Fructis Sleek n Shine and then she puts on a little mousse to keep it in check and that seems to work. Every summer her hair seems to get curlier, so we have yet to see what horrors her hair has for us this summer after the pool. I usually just put her hair in french braids and that proves to eliminate hair problems for the day.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:18 AM   #4  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

I adore Suave's newest shampoo Professionals Healthy Curls Shampoo. It's not very expensive and I use both the shampoo and conditioner and the mousse.

I've the frizz ease brand and didn't have much luck with it (I felt like helmet head! LOL) and the price was outlandish.

Since I have natural curls that are more like shirley temple curls, I'm very prone to dried out hair - my beautician told me to stay away from volumizing products or products with alcohol in it.

Good luck - seems like it is a constant fight to get the right stuff for our kinds of hair.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

I can tell you what I did. I chopped it off. My hair grows really fast though. I could have it back to shoulder length before next year if I wanted to. It was chin length but now it is in what I refer to as a longer pixie cut. I still have to do my hair in the morning but it only involves a spiking glue. It is rock hard all day long now! My hairstylist told me that people with think wavy or curly hair usually have the best short hairstyles.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 283/270/165

I use the generic for Paul Mitchell Wax Works for extreme textur and shine and it works perfect on high humid days!! I also use Dream Curls by Frizz Ease on the dry days and love it to! My hair looks like I have a spiral perm naturally and it's long layers to my shoulder blades. The picture in my post was taken after I got my flat iron for Christmas LOL
Old 06-15-2006, 01:39 PM   #7  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Artec (salon product) and Jonathon products (Sephora) are FANTASTIC!!! Both brands have a smoothing serum which is like a thicker clear liquid. It coats the hair and is heat activated to blow dry smooth and silky. MInd you....a good hair cut with some of the weight of your hair cut out will do you wonders also!! My hair is soooo thick, having it thinned out is a must.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #8  

A mousse hint.....

A good refresher for curly hair (mine is naturally curly and I do this also) is to put a bit of mousse in the palm of your hand and rub your hands together to take the mousse back to the liquid form (make sure it's slightly sticky). You can then use your fingers tips to redefine the curls through the day to give it a fresh, nonfrizzy look. It can not be foamy, it has to be back into the liquid form to work.
Closed Thread