General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #1  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Default "Lose up to 4 dress sizes..."

Current TV advertisement for a weight loss program says, "Lose up to 4 dress sizes and 20 pounds in just 8 weeks!!!" Sheesh, they seem to be running this one every hour, too! It's the same group where the wonam claimed "I lost dress sizes LEFT and RIGHT!!!"

Ok, I've lost close to 20 pounds so far, and nowhere near even 1 dress size, let alone 4. And it's taken nearly 12 weeks. And nothing has fallen off LEFT, RIGHT or CENTER. Am I just abnormal?

Are they really being serious? Isn't this just more hype (grrrrr shame on the marketing clucks who prey on the vunerable)?

Or am I just in a mood today?
Old 03-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #2  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Oh, I know the key phrase (the one that pulls their rears out of the fire) is "up to...".

Still, I, personally, find it irresponsible and despicable advertising. Burns me up that they think they're so clever! Grrrr.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:09 PM   #3  
Determined

I saw an ad today (must have been on 3 times and on FIT TV no less) advertising those kinds of claims. If you read the small print as the lady was blabbing about how much weight study participants lost and the fine print at the bottom said average 8 week loss was 3 pounds. She went on to say that 78% of the loss was fat and it showed a graphic of a stomach shrinking to about half its originial size. It didn't state the obvious - that 78% of the [B]3 pounds[B] was fat. So you're paying several hundred dollars to lose 2 pounds of fat. No, thank you. I agree with you, marketing these drugs to those of us that struggle with our weight is similar to marketing those fake cancer drugs. It is cruel to give someone unrealistic hope and then take their money and run. Good for you for being smart enough to not buy them!
Old 03-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Anyone who is largely overweight can lose 20 pounds easily in 8 weeks without any gimmicks. That's just over 2 pounds a week. As for the dress sizes, not only do they say "up to", but I've also read some of these claims in mags. And I noticed one gal said something like "I lost 4 dress sizes", then later she says "I went from a size 22 to a size 18. Well, to most of us, that's TWO sizes...the 22 and the 20, putting her into an 18. But they count the in-betweens...22, 21, 20, 19.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #5  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I'd like to know who can change that much in size in just 20 pounds. I'm almost to 40 pounds and have barely gone down 4 sizes!!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:42 PM   #6  
Movin on down the scale

tofat, that is what I am thinking..I have just over 50lbs loss and I am only 4 sizes NOW from a 16 to 10, but then again if I use their "trick" I would be down 6 sizes..lol. I really wish the government would do something about these "false" claims of weight loss miracles.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Those ads make me IRATE. You know that the only people desperate enough to try them are the ones who have been trying and trying and can't get anything to work. They're discouraged, down on themselves, and these stupid pills and patches will make it even worse. Then it'll be one more failure, one more reason to not bother trying the right way. Vultures!!
Old 03-27-2006, 10:24 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydaisy
I saw an ad today (must have been on 3 times and on FIT TV no less) advertising those kinds of claims. If you read the small print as the lady was blabbing about how much weight study participants lost and the fine print at the bottom said average 8 week loss was 3 pounds. She went on to say that 78% of the loss was fat and it showed a graphic of a stomach shrinking to about half its originial size. It didn't state the obvious - that 78% of the [B]3 pounds[B] was fat. So you're paying several hundred dollars to lose 2 pounds of fat. No, thank you. I agree with you, marketing these drugs to those of us that struggle with our weight is similar to marketing those fake cancer drugs. It is cruel to give someone unrealistic hope and then take their money and run. Good for you for being smart enough to not buy them!

I hate that one, but evey time I see it I'm thinking about how much money they have to be making to be running it all the time.
My brother was asking me about it ............I said "yes the magic pills" .....come on if all them pills worked no one would be over weight.
It's a good way to make money fast , but I think it's wrong to do that to people when it's about their health.
I think they should come out with a pill that you can take that will make you be able to pick the winning lottery numbers. Put in a good sale pitch and make a lot of $$$$$$$$$ . MAGIC PILLS THEY CAN DO ANYTHING.
As long as people buy them there will always be a new magic pill waiting to come out.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:27 PM   #9  

I had to lose weight the old-fashion way and I have to maintain my weight the old fashion way eat healthy and exercise but hey gimmicks sale. In an instant society people want fast results and there will always be a plan that will appeal to those of us who want a quick fix. If this stuffed worked everyone in america would be in shape.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:11 AM   #10  

I've lost 60lbs and lost 5 dress sizes so phoey! If they count in singles, then yeah I've lost 10 dress sizes, but whose ever seen a size 21 in shop

In before and after pics I have always suspected people over state their beginning size. I've seen people who say they were a 22, and no where near my size when I wore a 22.

It took me nearly 20 pounds before I could wear the next size down. But now as I lose weight it only takes about 10 - 15 pounds a dress size.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:27 AM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
I've lost 60lbs and lost 5 dress sizes so phoey! If they count in singles, then yeah I've lost 10 dress sizes, but whose ever seen a size 21 in shop
What? You've never seen Juniors? LOL That's where they get their singles from. Though Juniors doesn't really count as a "size", they're their own department. That's why I always wear one size larger in Juniors than I do in Misses or Womens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
In before and after pics I have always suspected people over state their beginning size. I've seen people who say they were a 22, and no where near my size when I wore a 22.
Now that one I can believe. I was waaaaaaaaaay thinner than my cousin was. She thought there was no way that I wore an 18, because that's the size she wore. Thing is, if you looked at me from the backside, you could tell I was as wide as a semi. Hers was all out front. She looked to be 50 pounds bigger than me at a glance, but in reality, we just carried it differently.
Closed Thread