General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 02:53 PM   #1  

Question Bachelor needs cleaning tips.... lol

Hi... I feel funny asking here, however I'm confident that someone can give me a suggestion or two.

I've been ignoring my stovetop for awhile, and now I'm paying...

Anyway... what is the best way to get that caked-on or even burnt-on crud around the burners on my gas stovetop?

I tried spraying it with FANTASTIK and letting it sit for about 5 minutes, still, most of it will not come off. My roomate insistes on cooking everything with a high flame and everything is always boiling over and the burners are getting pretty messed up.

It's not the kind where you can take the little trays off and soak them either so the clean up has to all be done up top where it is.

Would steel wool hurt the porcelin top? Again... what chemical will help cut through that cooked on crud?

Thanks in advance

DAVID (TeddyBear)
Old 05-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #2  
i luv my dog!

NO STEEL WOOL! - Yes it will scratch the surface. You may have to try several approaches if it is really cooked on.

First try lemon juice and salt and use a nylon scrubby or sponge. Let the lemon juice sit for a few minutes to get the acid into the cooked on gunk and salt will be the abrasive. Scrub and wipe down.

Next you could try a solution of about 2-3 cups very warm water with 1/2 c. white vinegar and 1/2 cup Dawn dish soap mixed in. Get some clean rags and dip them into the solution. Place the soaked rags on the dirty areas and let sit for about 15 min to 1/2 hour, then apply the elbow grease! Scrub and wipe down.

Sometimes ammonia is needed for really tough jobs. Follow the directions. If you have tried any other products first, but sure all traces are removed because ammonia doesn't mix with anything but water.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:33 AM   #3  
Kasee

Oven cleaner will work on removing the baked on crud. Spray it on, let it sit before a bit....
Just be careful and wear gloves.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:08 PM   #4  

My mother in law uses a product called Krud Kutter on her gas stove top. She gets it from Home Depot but it may be available elsewhere. I haven't tried it for the stove yet but have used it for some of the tougher jobs I've had and it does work well.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:06 PM   #5  
Empress/Queen

Goo Gone? It works on everything! But I don't know if it'd be flammable ... maybe not a good idea.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:49 AM   #6  

Thanks for all the suggestions.

TEDDYBEAR
Old 06-03-2005, 09:25 AM   #7  

Hi TeddyBear, I rented an apartment a few years back and was faced with a really crapped up oven... I basically follow what Abroad suggested... One build on that ...I boiled water in a tea pot and poured hot water and Dawn (Green colored one) on the stove top.Let it sit till it cools a bit... You'd be amazed how much crud will initially come off...
Happy Cleaning!
Old 06-04-2005, 10:13 PM   #8  
one of my goals!

S/C/G: 215/203/150

Height: 5'7"

Ditto Schatzi - boiling water and dish soap (or 409, which i use on pratically everything) - it gets the job done!
Old 06-19-2005, 11:10 PM   #9  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I've read that toothpaste can be used-- it is a mildly abrasive cleaner that also polishes the porcelain surface as it cleans. I haven't tried it, though...
Old 06-20-2005, 03:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

My very favorite cleaning item in the whole world is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They make one with a scrubby side and that's what I use for my oven top. It works so well!
Old 06-21-2005, 05:52 AM   #11  
Confused Cow

Lightbulb

I use Bar Keeper's Friend - its the best product ever - works on everything, even kitty litter you forgot about and cant shift (oops)
Old 06-21-2005, 12:06 PM   #12  

I have one of those hand held steamers! LOVE it! Cleans everything without the use of chemicals and that saves money too! Just use regualr tap water. I use it inside and outside of my house.
Closed Thread